UPS called today about feeder position…

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by miltowntrucker, Mar 29, 2017.

1. miltowntrucker

miltowntrucker Member

They are running my mvr and background which is all clear and then I will be doing a road test. To say I am excited is an understatement! I haven’t driven a 10 speed in a couple years. I am considering taking a 4 hour refresher just to sharpen up my shifting. I am wondering what the drive test consists of? If I grind the gears a little bit is that a failure….Any info, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

i tried several times to get on with UPS....

never could, even though i aced all the tests....

reason why..??

i don't know anyone.

good luck to you.

Stimpy likes this.
  3. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

They usually hire within. ... package drivers to feeder.... at least in my experience.

But that's not what may happen. ..in your case. .. good luck.

pro1driver likes this.
  4. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

If you could get some time to knock off the rust before you go in it couldn't hurt, good luck on it.

5. Apostolic

Apostolic Super Moderator Staff Member

So was wondering Milltowntrucker what are you asking us in the Lounge about UPS?
    You should go to the UPS forum for your inquiries.

6. miltowntrucker

miltowntrucker Member

7. miltowntrucker

miltowntrucker Member

Pro1driver, did they have you go through an interview and drive test? Maybe I'm wasting my time thinking I got a chance.....

8. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

It was me I'd go through the interview you just never know you might get lucky

ABFer likes this.
  9. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

written test, yard test, road test, even hooking up and breaking down doubles (pups)..all for naught...i think they did this to show the EO (equal opportunity) people they interviewed outsiders..

many of us here have MORE experience than the ordinary schmuck coming off the street..yet they still hire from within....

just like FedEx..the REAL Fedex, not FedEx ground...they put the ads in the paper in need of trailer drivers..

but they will take an employee, working in the sorting dept, train him or her.....

wasted time when i went there as well.......

i have a resume as long as a trip from here to the moon...........might as well have been toilet paper to UPS and FedEx......

fiveandfour likes this.
  10. Sugarfoot

Sugarfoot " I'm just a truck driver "

Do not start the tractor without your seatbelt on make sure you always set the break before you get out of the cab have the engine off before you remove the seatbelt. Turn the engine off every time you exit the cab and make sure in a road test you have both hands on the wheel and unless you're shifting but you might be tested in a new twinscrew automatic KW or ProStar or MACK. Oh yeah, if it's a standard transmission make sure you double clutch their big on that. Oh yeah I almost forgot always toot your horn twice before you move the truck forward or backward they only have electric horns just hit it twice, they're big on that also, Good Luck !

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  11. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

although yes, UPS shuts off the engines all the time, the tester just wanted to see how i drove. never, ever mentioned about shutting down the engines.

yes, of course apply the parking brake, and yes most certainly seat belt.

i do not believe they are wanting anyone to know all the UPS procedures when being tested, otherwise, frankly, they would tell you, or give you a list at interview time to study, then be prepared for the road testing appointment.

i even tested at UPS Freight.....nearly ALL the same testing as UPS itself.....no mention of company procedures, other than what i had mentioned about my UPPS road testing.

12. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

:smiliewhs: They can, and do, hire from outside and I'd go make the best of it. Good advice has been given on being safety minded, they might even want you to wear a yellow vest.

Sugarfoot likes this.
  13. henry j

henry j Banned

Make sure you tell the safety man (or whoever is riding with you) to fasten HIS seat belt, too.
    Also, when you shut down the engine, take the ignition key (or keys) with you. Don;t leave them in the ignition unless he tells you to.

14. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Coop Dispatch driver

2 of my friends left yrc 2 and a half years ago, hired in as feeder drivers, and neither one has missed a beat . See them at Willow all the time, happy as hell....

Sugarfoot likes this.
  15. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

do not forget...they Are union..the YRC and UPS..here (as an example) UPS and YRC (if i recall correctly) are Teamsters 251.....each

simple switch over, as they "are in" the union already.

16. BIG R GUY

Huh?

17. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

it is easier to get into UPS as from one teamster place to another..how could you not have gotten what i said....?????

i speak English....

maybe your 2 buddies even have the same business agent at UPS as they had at YRC....

when i was at NEMF, and Red Star went out of business, we had one driver with us...he took the whatever card from the union to stay in the union, 251, and then he easily got into UPS as he was still a teamster.

they take care of thier own, street people take a back seat. always did.

18. BIG R GUY

Did not know that

I speak English too

No, they are not in the same local. In fact, there are no UPS in the local they left...

Did not know that either.

mud likes this.