TForce | UPS Freight contract negotiations?

I heard that the teamsters have submitted a petition to organze the farmingdale location. does anyone know if this is true??

I did not think that the teamsters were going to organize any terminals untill the Indy contract was done. There plan was to negotiate a good strong contract at Indy and then to use that strong contract to organize all the other terminals. I do believe that the teamsters have the majority (cards) for most of the terminals in the north. But will not react untill the Indy contract is complete.

BN,
I think you're right. I know that St. Louis has a majority who will join the Teamsters but they're waiting for the Indy results to move on it.

I did not think that the teamsters were going to organize any terminals untill the Indy contract was done. There plan was to negotiate a good strong contract at Indy and then to use that strong contract to organize all the other terminals. I do believe that the teamsters have the majority (cards) for most of the terminals in the north. But will not react untill the Indy contract is complete.

That was my understanding also BN. Until I hear something to the contrary my guess is that it's all rumor.

I found out from a HRS road driver that it is true. An election is scheduled for the end of January. Supposedly this was done by the local in ny without the approval of the teamsters.

I found out from a HRS road driver that it is true. An election is scheduled for the end of January. Supposedly this was done by the local in ny without the approval of the teamsters.
What election are you refering too? Up north in New England, most terminals have got over 80% of the workforce signed off on the card check and are certified. We're waiting now for Indy to finish the contract so we can vote on it. After that we still have to sit down and negotiate the New England contract supplement and vote on that too. So I really don't get this election thing. Are you sure the road driver wasn't refering to a vote? Secondly, take it for what its worth (rumor)coming from a road driver.

All the road drivers I talk to don't want any part of being organized.
Just the dock workers,and city drivers.
Road drivers are in the minority of the company,so even if they don't want it.
If everyone else does,than thats that.

What election are you refering too? Up north in New England, most terminals have got over 80% of the workforce signed off on the card check and are certified. We're waiting now for Indy to finish the contract so we can vote on it. After that we still have to sit down and negotiate the New England contract supplement and vote on that too. So I really don't get this election thing. Are you sure the road driver wasn't refering to a vote? Secondly, take it for what its worth (rumor)coming from a road driver.

First of all I do not remember ever hearing that farmingdale( if this is the center in question) ever decertified. So therefore they are teamster's to begin with and alway's was. O never sat at the table too form a contract..... I am almost willing to bet this is in referrance to a card check.... Or a reavaluation of votes maybe.

No offense of coarse but what does that tell them!!!!!

I know farmingdale decertified back around 2003. Supposedly a petition was filed with the NLRB by the local there and an election for representation is scheduled for the end of january. Supposedly this was a suprise to the teamsters as they had no knowledge of the local filing the petition. I heard that meetings are going on with all the vp's coming down before the vote.

So, the Teamster Local barn did not know anything about this. Sounds like a rumor to me. I am sure all local barns are well aware of the plan. I bet you won't see any election. There doe's not have to be an election. All they need to do is sighn the cards and send them in. Which they may have done already. When the Indy contract is done the Local barn will handle the rest.

The teamster local barn was the one that went and ignored the international and got the cards signed and then filed a petition. I spoke to a farmingdale road driver this morning. He says that there were meetings all week and an election will be held at the end of january. the company is not honoring the signed cards

I think this teamster thing is probably a done deal in most centers because UPS has screwed everyone on the insurance end of things. I hope it will not bight us all in the arse though.Remember...Once you vote in the teamsters,whatever pension you have at UPSF will be frozen. You will not get any increase in the coming years. Also,there is no more early retirement clauses (25 and out,30 and out) for any UPS teamsters .You have to be 62 years old to retire and not take a cut in pension benefits.Also,I think the teamsters are only offering 3 to 1 credit for retirement.In other words,If you have 10 years at UPSF,you will only have 3.33 years credit towards your pension in the multi-employer pension plans.In the coming contract I believe that UPS will want the employees to pay a larger portion for thier health care than what they already do now.I don't know if it is a wise thing to work for UPS without representation.The APWA is an unknown quantity at this point,because they have never negotiated a contract.Just think it through before you sign ANY union card. You could be gambling away your golden years.

Just My Honest Opinion

Strange, I get the opposite impression from the one's I talk to:1036316054:

The teamster local barn was the one that went and ignored the international and got the cards signed and then filed a petition. I spoke to a farmingdale road driver this morning. He says that there were meetings all week and an election will be held at the end of january. the company is not honoring the signed cards
I find this hard to believe. Up here, all the locals encouraged the barns to sign cards, which most of us did. This was done during the card check process. Regardless of what the company thinks or says, any group of individuals that seek representation by any union is entitled to representation. This is the law, NLRB in Wash. D.C. Also having representation does not mean your union. It means that you now have the right to bargain for a fair wage and benefits, work rules via contract negotiations with a union rep. on your behalves. Most small companies would either close the doors or in the old "O" case not bargain in good faith. Thus freezing wages etc. I thank my lucky stars that now we are dealing with a company that has been dealing with the union for a 100 years and just wants this thing to go through so we don't drag the UPS name through the mud with labor issues. It effects the bottom line you know.

I think this teamster thing is probably a done deal in most centers because UPS has screwed everyone on the insurance end of things. I hope it will not bight us all in the arse though.Remember...Once you vote in the teamsters,whatever pension you have at UPSF will be frozen. You will not get any increase in the coming years. Also,there is no more early retirement clauses (25 and out,30 and out) for any UPS teamsters .You have to be 62 years old to retire and not take a cut in pension benefits.Also,I think the teamsters are only offering 3 to 1 credit for retirement.In other words,If you have 10 years at UPSF,you will only have 3.33 years credit towards your pension in the multi-employer pension plans.In the coming contract I believe that UPS will want the employees to pay a larger portion for thier health care than what they already do now.I don't know if it is a wise thing to work for UPS without representation.The APWA is an unknown quantity at this point,because they have never negotiated a contract.Just think it through before you sign ANY union card. You could be gambling away your golden years.

Just My Honest Opinion

Breeze I pretty sure you have most of this info twisted.

First off, if union pension is acquired, UPSF pension currently controlled by UPS Corp on your behalf will freeze accrual rates (stop contributing) they will use a formula to increase pnesion benifits for future years based on when you decide to start collecting and based on monies in fund and how it is invested and money it makes (like a 401k only you have no control). It a myth that you will only recieve a certian amount wether you start collecting now of 20 years from now. (see Conway Pension situation).

Secondly, 25's and outs were a bad plan from the start. They had no future projection based on young ages and longevity. They were a mistake period, a nice touch, but a carrot on the end of a stick.

Third, you can retire and collect a Teamster pension at any age as long as you are vested in the fund. You do not have to be 62.
However maxiums are calculated with the age of 62 in the formula. 62 is a bench mark used to calculate maxiums, or project maxiums if pensions are forozen, a particapant drops out, stops contributing or otherwise does want to start collecting until then.
To recieve max bennies with 30 years you must be 57 (in most plans) however pension payment only increases with more years put in. The "any age" clause had to be elimated to protect the plans into the future. People are living longer collecting more longer and it takes away from the plans over a longer period. It had to be stopped to protect our future, granted it sucks I'd love to have retired at 55 but know I have to go 2 more years to get the max but at the same time the is not much of a difference between 55 with 30 and 57 with 32.
And if you retire early YOU ARE NOT TAKING A CUT you are only getting what you deserve according to the plan based on years and age.
You are not penalized and cut pesnion bennies because of your early age you are only given what you deserve according to the plans formulas set up to protect the plans future and give other particapants a future in the plan also.

Fourth, You say you think the Teamnster are only giving 3 to 1 for pension credits. Well if they were giving 3 to 1 then it would be 30 for 10 years not 3.33 for 10, that 1 for 3, big differnce.
Early rumors had the Teamsters giving 3 years credit for every year served after joining the pension with at least 5 years served to be vested.
In other words your 10 year Overnite pension credit has no bearing on the matter, it's time served and contributed to, in the Teamster funds themselve that use the 3 to 1 formula you speak of.

Now you speak of paying more for health benifits in the coming contract. How do you know this, this sounds like your stirring the pot.
There has been no mention of UPS raising health care cost to employees based on a Teamster contract. If anything you would be paying nothing out of pocket if insured by the Teamster rather than more than you paying now.

Ya know, the start of your post is in a positvie manner toward to the organizing of UPSF then put a negative spin on everything with little or no validiity.

No info has been release reguarding the INDY contract, let all wait and see (Skeeterism) what they've come up with before people start jumping off bridges and throwing gas on the fire to start somehting that doesn't exist in the first place.

T251