TForce | UPS Freight Diary:

However, if i can find a daytime linehaul run i would be hell-bent on trying to get it.[/QUOTE]
You and pretty much every city driver who is senior to you. When you reach top rate you'll easily be in the 60's as a city driver.

Sorry it took so long to update checks---was and am very busy:

check8_zpsbd6tctzz.jpg

check7_zpsd4pujpqk.jpg

check9_zpsuehez5zl.jpg

This last one, not really great considering 55 hours. But on the other hand not bad for an all daytime gig with weekends completely off.

In other news, all the intertrashinal 9300 series tractors seemed to have disappeared from my barn. Not that these were terrible trucks, but most were not suited for city work as they were all former road tractors.

i switched to extra board. Lately having to sub in on routes when a driver takes off. So, still kinda rushing around lately. Not terrible though. Other than the staples stuff, mostly no-touch pallet freight.

Last edited:
I never got how younger drivers would get bent out of shape driving the tractors that are in operation now days.

Gee give me a break,I started P&D driving for a living back in the 60's,the power units in them days had no power steering,air conditioning.
Or any of the creature features that are pretty much standard on todays equipment.

As for the wage my first Teamster LTL company paid $3.30 an hour,that was great pay back in the day before the cost of living went up faster than the wages.

However with this in mind,if anyone is not happy with what they are earning,there is no chain holding you to the time clock.
Go find a job you will be happier doing.

I have always felt very blessed with what I had for the most part over the 45 years I was a steering wheel holder.
Now that I'm retired I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor with SSI & 2 really good trucking pensions.
So to end this tie-raid,my best advice I have learned is: Learn to live with-in your means.
Get along with everybody that crosses your path & be at peace.

1) Not happy about this one bit; Lots of rushing around. What extra-board apparently means is i come in 7-8, i run one or two volume loads, THEN i run someone's city route if they go on vacation or had to take off. And with 20+ drivers, someone is usually on vacation. But i leave later for the city route later than everyone else----because i had to do the two volume runs. On top of that, which was not explained to me, is that since we don't have any dock/cdl drivers anymore, (no one bid on that position), IF someone on road takes off, i have to fill it.

What had happened was that when i first ran extra-board, the other extra board driver was on vacation; Thus, i thought it was going to be easy. The other driver has more seniority than me, thus s/he gets the volume loads all day vs. city p+d.

i mean, it's still a good company. All daytime work, weekends completely off. And i don't have to worry about where i'm going to park at night. You sleep in your own quiet bed at night and use your own shower.

i didn't get my check stub this week, but i have direct deposit. Was able to look it up online:

$1,182.04 gross at 55.49 hours, 15.49 hours OT.
Not real good, but i'm only at 1st year pay scale.

I'd be pissed too working 55hrs for $11xx a week. I'm union too, and we start off almost $4.00/hr higher. Maybe a location thing?? 55hrs is ~$1450-ish at our first year pay scale.

check11_zpsazzzfut6.jpg

Now THAT'S more like it. If i'm going to be there all day then at least i'm compensated ok for it. So that would be 70K if going by the last paycheck. Going to $20/hr on monday.

1) Intertrashinal 9300 junker has returned:( . Oh well, it's not actually a terrible truck, and there are a lot worse problems that could happen at this gig. (Don't particularly like intertrashinal and never did. They're ok though)

2) Decided to stop rushing around; i work steady now and still can get most of it off. i'm enjoying the job more---going to totally different places everyday and even some places and roads i never knew existed.
a) Been driving mostly rentals with automatics----real automatics with torque converters, not this "automated" crap and with serious A/C. This helps make the job easier and more enjoyable.

I never got how younger drivers would get bent out of shape driving the tractors that are in operation now days.

Gee give me a break,I started P&D driving for a living back in the 60's,the power units in them days had no power steering,air conditioning.
Or any of the creature features that are pretty much standard on todays equipment.

As for the wage my first Teamster LTL company paid $3.30 an hour,that was great pay back in the day before the cost of living went up faster than the wages.

However with this in mind,if anyone is not happy with what they are earning,there is no chain holding you to the time clock.
Go find a job you will be happier doing.

I have always felt very blessed with what I had for the most part over the 45 years I was a steering wheel holder.
Now that I'm retired I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor with SSI & 2 really good trucking pensions.
So to end this tie-raid,my best advice I have learned is: Learn to live with-in your means.
Get along with everybody that crosses your path & be at peace.

Hotter in the tractor than the trailer.
No such thing as a pallet jack,just a daisy hand truck and a big hill to drag the skid to the back door before you got to the stop.

Yes sir jimbobillybob do I ever remember those days,looking for a hill to stage skids on the tail with a 2 wheel hand cart.
Then hoping to make it to the ground unload delivery,without having to get on the brakes because some clueless 4 wheeler cuts you off.
Which would cause the skids to slid forward.

Being a trucker back in the day was no picnic compared to now days.
Not to be a malesovenest but it was a really rare occasion you'd ever see a woman trucker back in those bull work days.

Another thing that separated the men from the boys in those days of P & D driving, was there were no hours of service rules.
I'd clock in mornings at 6 or 7 AM help my co-drivers break the inbound trailers,load my route,go out & attempt to deliver everything.

There was usually a 1:30 PM cut off when I had to start making pickups.
Around 6:30PM return to the terminal & break out my pickups from any deliveries I couldn't get off,then help load the outbound trailers.

However Teamster LTL jobs had top pay & bennies,so us old timers stuck it out till the job started changing for the better.

Looking back at the bad old days of trucking I wonder why the youngsters driving these days find so much to whine about.

13_zpsmcepk2vz.jpg

Job isn't fun anymore.
Still better than food or beverage though.
Thinking about inquiring about truckload division.

Yes sir jimbobillybob do I ever remember those days,looking for a hill to stage skids on the tail with a 2 wheel hand cart.
Then hoping to make it to the ground unload delivery,without having to get on the brakes because some clueless 4 wheeler cuts you off.
Which would cause the skids to slid forward.

Being a trucker back in the day was no picnic compared to now days.
Not to be a malesovenest but it was a really rare occasion you'd ever see a woman trucker back in those bull work days.

Another thing that separated the men from the boys in those days of P & D driving, was there were no hours of service rules.
I'd clock in mornings at 6 or 7 AM help my co-drivers break the inbound trailers,load my route,go out & attempt to deliver everything.

There was usually a 1:30 PM cut off when I had to start making pickups.
Around 6:30PM return to the terminal & break out my pickups from any deliveries I couldn't get off,then help load the outbound trailers.

However Teamster LTL jobs had top pay & bennies,so us old timers stuck it out till the job started changing for the better.

Looking back at the bad old days of trucking I wonder why the youngsters driving these days find so much to whine about.
Well not all of us youngsters.

You'er right Skeeter,unless he is at the starting wage.
When I retired in April of 2008 I was grossing $60,000 per year working city & some dock.
However now that I'm retired between my 2 pensions & SSI I'm only grossing $54,000.
Although the Teamsters pension is going to cut me down 31% starting July of 2017
So I'll be getting that much less,still a total blessing no matter what income I receive.
After a 45 year career driving truck,it is nice not to have to deal with the rat race anymore.

Last edited:
Well Skeeter my brother,we both know God owns everything & we are just stewards of the blessings.
With that truth in mind,I'm sure you can agree with me that we are totally blessed that we were able to make our living as truckers.

Hotter in the tractor than the trailer.
No such thing as a pallet jack,just a daisy hand truck and a big hill to drag the skid to the back door before you got to the stop.
And don't forget now. The places that have a forklift with no dock, and load 2,000 lb skids on the rear of trailer, and you have a pallet jack. You park downhill, forward so they roll on their own to the nose so you save your back. Works for me.

Sorry i don't have time to scan my checks right now, but have grossed $50,940.69 so far total.
i have been doing no touch linehaul recently. Will be switching back to day time P+D next week.

My last check was $1236.53 gross.