TForce | ups freight/indy contract is done

Well I was called in an half hour early this morning,along with three more of us top senority drivers.
Right after we clocked in, my TM called us into his office to read a statement from corporate headquarters about the Indy contract being completed.

One of my co-workers started asking questions about the rest of the terminals signing on.
My TM was either not aware of anymore information regarding the statement he read,or if he knew more he wasn't saying.

Well then I turned to my co-worker,and said the Indy contract is just the start.
We all have to see whats written in the contract,and after Indy votes to ratify it.
Cards will be offered to the rest of the terminals for representation.

With that my TM shot back at me,where did you hear that?
I smiled at him and said where do you think?
He knows I get all my information on this trucking message board.

So the meeting came to an end when my TM said have a safe day.

Its almost like the UPS Freight management higher ups are holding their breath to see what the next move is going to be,after Indy reviews the contract,and if its something they think will work for them,as well as the rest of us,and they vote it in.

Gee they must know as soon as a contract is voted on,and excepted by Indy,the Teamsters,and UPS,the rest of their terminals will fall into place like dominos.

Can you say Indy is the spark thats lighting the forest fire,thats going to bring the entire UPS Freight system on board for representation by the Teamsters union.

Yes I'm also saying thanks to all the brave hearts at Indy,forgoing their raises,that UPS Freight withheld from them,because they were the first ones voting for representation by the Teamsters.

Thanks for your sacrifice,and dedication to improve, wages,benefits,and working conditions for our whole company.

Tell your TM to start looking for a new job, when we do become brothers, and the shat hits the fan at your terminal, he will be paying the price and not us finally.... Incompetance breeds lonliness and misery.

So they ratify and then we should get a chance to look at it through our local? Little confused about that....And alot of the guys at our terminal have been told and believe all kinds of stories....So for most of them the want to see things in writing......And some just believe what ever the TM says....So just saying because I know so isn't enough to convince 'em....The BA told me to wait til the contract was signed....But then what???????

GT, Once Indy signs off on the contract, your local will recieve a copy if it. And the cards will be given out to sign. :1036316054:

I am still apprehensive about this "contract". What scares me most is the fact that everyone seems ready to sign off regardless of the language, just to have a contract.
"Teamsters announce handshake deal on contract" "WOO HOO, JUST SIGN ME UP" Why look it over, just sign it. Sorry, but that scares me!

I am still apprehensive about this "contract". What scares me most is the fact that everyone seems ready to sign off regardless of the language, just to have a contract.
"Teamsters announce handshake deal on contract" "WOO HOO, JUST SIGN ME UP" Why look it over, just sign it. Sorry, but that scares me!
What I'm seeing here is that a lot of guys are happy that they'll now get the chance to see what they've been waiting for. I agree fully that everybody should be able to read the agreement before making up their minds.....nobody is being asked to approve a Contract they know nothing about. No need to be scared. Just be patient for a little while longer. It might only be days until the potential Contract can be viewed.

That's why I'm not banging pots and pans together yet. I say show me the contract before I get all worked up.:1036316054:

But I'm hoping for the best to.:funky:

You have pots and pans? You must be one of those sophisticated domesticated types!!! :biglaugh:

Now is the time to get with follow workers and iron out a good time to sit down on a weekend together and review and understand the contract in its entirety. Write down any questions and concerns and present them to the local hall. Remember, this contract was written by and for UPSF employees. So some of the work rules, wages and benefits may not be the same as the NMFA. Its a hybred. So skeeter, you are 100% correct, know what you are signing. :1036316054:

We will be doing the same in the Nor'East!!!

I apoligize too all if I seem a little aggressive about having a contract, as we all know with Teamster's of the past and thier actions in the last strike, and most importantly, one should ask themselves, Who do I trust?

( and my opinion is not directed too the teamsters of this site, if anything they have been more then helpfull during the wait of the century, and have cunducted themselves in the most professional manner, so please bear with me.)

I find myself in the unique position of fairness by having a proposed contract, by an entity "O" that for so long, had denied us this right to be in contact with . This in itself is the second part of the trust factor I had mentioned above. This inturn, once ratified ,by our peers in Indy, will allow me to see what could not and mite benefit me, and the others I work with.

Then we must ask ourselves from a business standpoint, and think of it from a position of fairness, Am I willing to give up everything I have worked for and my peers to a company that does not heed too fairness in the shortsite of the allmighty dollar? Without screwing yourself in the meantime. After all , we all use the rulebook bestowed upon us as a toiletry item.

Others have mentioned on this board that those who sit in the Ivory Towers of this great company have a contract, and they will and do look over anything, and everything before they sighn too see if it benefits them.

My only suggestion is to do the same, if you do not know what you are getting into at time of sighn and it comes back to haunt you later, I would say you deserve it. So I say question anything you question.

This is my intention, and if I believe that anything in this contract will be unbeneficial to those peers I have mentioned I will not sighn and with a strong voice make known my intention too all.

This not only effects me, but all, and I encourage all to do the same. Remember this, they are not called the brotherhood for nothing and keep in mind you too will be a part of it.

So make wise choices, after all it effects us all.:1036316054: :1036316054:

Excellent post Accelerator! I have been a Teamster for 36 years now, and the last 20 with UPS. When I watch many of my freinds lose their jobs to the likes of CF, PIE, Garrett, and others I wonder when the corporate greed will ever stop. Some will say that the Teamsters didnt do enough to keep these people employed, but with the laws the government have imposed on organized labor over the last several years it is harder than ever to properly represent members, but we do the best we can and I think these tentative agreements with parcel and freight are excellent examples of that.
I can speak for many of my fellow UPS drivers that we are very happy to have you come on board with us, and look forward to sharing the benefits of working for this company with you.
The days of the O strike are gone and lets move forward to making UPS Freight the company that you deserve to work for!:1036316054:

I just want 2 see the contract

Be patient smfish2006. First the contract will be presented to Indy for them to vote on. The first information you get will be from those guys. Then the information will filter out through the IBT to the rest of the terminals.

You've got to realize that there will be no press release from the company with the details and I doubt the IBT will even publicize it. This is a privately negotiated contract that really does not require releasing information to the public.

Stay tuned and I'm sure all your questions will be answered in due time.

Just a thought to all of my UPS Freight co-workers who may be fearful of this groundbreaking contract.

The Teamsters have put a very large amount of money,and countless hours of effort over the years.
Trying to organize,the former Overnite,now known as UPS Freight.
Now that this contract has been drawn up,on behalf of the employees at our Indy terminal,as well as taking in account of the rest of our company.
They aren't going to expect us just to sign on the dotted line of a blank page.

You wouldn't be expected to do that with a house,or vehicle purchase.

Like a few have posted already on this thread.
First Indy will look it over,if they feel its good for all they will sign.
I think our Teamster locals will hold meetings for us to see what the contract contains,cards will be offered to sign for representation,by the Teamsters,as well as the contract at that time.

I believe thats how it will be done,also local supplements should be brought up to add to the contract language.

And we will all be Teamsters in short order.

Overnite was not a BAD company to work for. It was a long way from other jobs I had. I knew somehow someday somethings would get better. I just did the best I could without whining to much. I feel hard working truck drivers deserve a contract. There are so many things that can go wrong in a day. I have to thank the guys at Indy for sticking there necks out to start the ball rolling. I know a contract is not the cure for every problem but it sure helps big time. I hope other truckin companys get a contract someday. Good union jobs are hard to come by. I was not at overnite when the strike was going on. I want to thank my fellow workers for their patience after all they went through.

The real killer with this whole organizing effort this time,is when UPS rebranded us.
They only needed a little tweeking to make all of us feel that we were getting a fair deal from them.
Little things like time,&a half after 8 hours per day,and linehaul delay pay to name two ways they could of made us happy.

But no,what did we get,mega rules to remember to obey,or get the boot out of the door.

I know we all need some rules to be safe,but we don't need to go to extremes.

At least with contract language we will have some protection,from our employer.
Anything,is more then we have now.

IBT will start the nationwide card check campaign as soon as the Indy contract has been voted on by the workers.......that will be used as a model for the other terminals....sometime after 10/14/07.......KK

So its going to take 11 more days for everyone at the Indy terminal to read this contract,and decide if they are going to vote on it,KK?

Well we've waited over a year I guess in the scheme of things another 11 days is nothing.

You know something I was thinking today.
I only have to reinstate my old Teamsters withdrawel card,and I will become an active member again without signing anything.
How about that,I'm not as dumb as I look,oh yeah,I said that already,I guess I've got to keep reminding myself.