TForce | UPS Freight is going to be unionized so get over it.

stldude44 said:
JBG,
Today you want the Teamsters in? We all know that general freight doesn't pay nearly as much as parcels. And the NMFA would be a good step up from where you're at now, wouldn't it? I'm glad you now want the Teamsters in though. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
My vote is still no ,But if we are forced into something i only want the best....

BusterNite said:
In Post # 14 You say you 100% agree we deserve the parcel contract. But in this post you say we are nothing compared to ups parcel and do not deserve the same contract. Are you confused? Which side of the fence are you on?
I only want the best if we are forced or outvoted.End of story.......:duh:

Johnny Big Rig said:
If I want a car I will go to the dealer,they won't come to me. If I want religion I will go to church, I don't need them beating on my door trying to convince me that their way is the best {only} way. I am sure there are some people out there that want to be represented by the teamsters, My opinion, If you wanted to work for a teamster company you should have found one that would hire you. We have 4 ex CF drivers at our terminal and if they are representatives of teamster labor then I don't want any part of it.And by the way UPGF {OVERNITE} is a very profitable co. Sure we have our problems but there is not a soul on this entire site that can tell me the teamsters solved all theirs.
AS FOR ME I WILL VOTE.....NOOO!!!!!
Welcome to the boards ,your views are a breath of fresh air.....Good Luck...:duh:

webidiot said:
you have no choice the wheels are in motion ups does not want any labor problems or problems with their stockholders.
As I said in another post. When UPS 1st started THEY asked to join the union and they've been doing fine.Their workers have been doing fine, because they have competent management and competent workers. Don't stay with Leo's BS ways, cause all he cares about is his nice severance package once he's gone !!!

Johnnybegood said:
Welcome to the boards ,your views are a breath of fresh air.....Good Luck...:duh:
Yep very profitable. So profitable that they got bought out by a Union Company. A Union company that has some of the finest equipment on the road, unlike that O crap that has everything imaginable wrong with it !!!

There have been some saying they want the parcel contract, now most realize there is no way that UPSF can pay what parcel makes and remain competitive, however why couldn't they have a section in the parcel agreement that would also cover the freight guys just as package cars and part timers are in the contract now? While they could be part of that contract they would probably still make the same as the NMFA however they would vote and expire at the same time as parcel and in the event of a strike they would truly be all for one and one for all.

The down side would be that all the parcel guys would be voting on a contract that freight would be held to, what I'm saying is are there more parcel people than freight and if so would they care if you guys (freight) got what you wanted as long as they got theirs?
Be careful what you wish for.

FM

Mossback,
I asked my TM why did UPS ask the IBT to organize their drivers back in the 1930's/40's. My TM stated because at that time, unions were just starting and companies that were union were looked upon by workers and the public as companies who were going to be honest and fair with their employees. He said that this was the reason that UPS asked the union in so that they would be seen as a good company. He said no different than today's company who have good community relationships like UPS and Home Depot.

bamaboy said:
Mossback,
I asked my TM why did UPS ask the IBT to organize their drivers back in the 1930's/40's. My TM stated because at that time, unions were just starting and companies that were union were looked upon by workers and the public as companies who were going to be honest and fair with their employees. He said that this was the reason that UPS asked the union in so that they would be seen as a good company. He said no different than today's company who have good community relationships like UPS and Home Depot.
Well you can say my point fer now on !!! UPS Wants to be seen as a good company and so far on this site, I haven't seen anything to show how UPS hasn't been a good company to it workers.

Familyman said:
There have been some saying they want the parcel contract, now most realize there is no way that UPSF can pay what parcel makes and remain competitive, however why couldn't they have a section in the parcel agreement that would also cover the freight guys just as package cars and part timers are in the contract now? While they could be part of that contract they would probably still make the same as the NMFA however they would vote and expire at the same time as parcel and in the event of a strike they would truly be all for one and one for all.

The down side would be that all the parcel guys would be voting on a contract that freight would be held to, what I'm saying is are there more parcel people than freight and if so would they care if you guys (freight) got what you wanted as long as they got theirs?
Be careful what you wish for.

FM

Ya just can't beat it into some peoples heads that we won't be making parcel money......and do you really want to be linked to the parcel agreement?....do you want to be forced to strike because the parcel workers don't want the weight limit raised from 60 to 61lbs?
We obviously handle more than 60lbs,so that in itself keeps us from being in parcel.

We in the freight business have no business in the parcel agreement.

I think we may have our own agreement seperate from parcel or freight,but definately not parcel.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
Ya just can't beat it into some peoples heads that we won't be making parcel money......and do you really want to be linked to the parcel agreement?....do you want to be forced to strike because the parcel workers don't want the weight limit raised from 60 to 61lbs?
We obviously handle more than 60lbs,so that in itself keeps us from being in parcel.

We in the freight business have no business in the parcel agreement.

I think we may have our own agreement seperate from parcel or freight,but definately not parcel.

The weight limit at UPS is 150 pounds.

I heard when they had heavy packages they could call..

into their terminal to have help sent out.
When UPS first raised their weight max., up to 150 ,I had one of their package drivers say they could call for help.
But now that we are doing their freight hauling why would they still have heavier packages that they'd have a hard time dealling with on the package routes?

They may as well send it LTL ,either way their still raking in all the revenue of the shipping costs.
Actualy they'd be better off sending it by UPS Freight.
Freight rates are much highier than packages.

Apostolic said:
into their terminal to have help sent out.
When UPS first raised their weight max., up to 150 ,I had one of their package drivers say they could call for help.

We still can call for help with anything over 70 pounds. It's in the contract.

Apostolic said:
But now that we are doing their freight hauling why would they still have heavier packages that they'd have a hard time dealling with on the package routes?

UPSF should not be doing ANY so called freight hauling for UPS. It's called subcontracting and is against the contract. That is UPS work and should not be done by another company, even if UPS owns them. Especially sending Teamster work to a non-Union company.

Apostolic said:
They may as well send it LTL ,either way their still raking in all the revenue of the shipping costs.
Actualy they'd be better off sending it by UPS Freight.
Freight rates are much highier than packages.

Again, that is our work, regardless of rates.

OK Mike if you want to strain your back,be my guest.

We use pallet jackes,and hand carts to move heavy objects,without wreaking ourselves.

When UPS's max was 50 lbs. that was real packages,but since they raised it to a weight thats hard to handle its still called freight in my book.

But if you want to strain yourselves by moving heavier freight,oh sorry packages,more power to you.

I'm not required to lift over 100 lbs,without using the propper equipment provided by my company.

I didn't get to be 62 & 1/2 and hauling LTL freight for 43 years by killing myself lifting more weight that I could safely handle.

Apostolic said:
We use pallet jackes,and hand carts to move heavy objects,without wreaking ourselves.

So do we. Along with PZ tables, irreg carts, trains, forklifts, and electric ramps. And the help of other employees. All company provided.

Apostolic said:
When UPS's max was 50 lbs. that was real packages,but since they raised it to a weight thats hard to handle its still called freight in my book.

But if you want to strain yourselves by moving heavier freight,oh sorry packages,more power to you.

So what you are saying is that UPS needs to send anything over 50 pounds through UPSF?

Apostolic said:
I'm not required to lift over 100 lbs,without using the propper equipment provided by my company.

I didn't get to be 62 & 1/2 and hauling LTL freight for 43 years by killing myself lifting more weight that I could safely handle

We dont have to lift anything over 70 pounds per the contract. But that's ok..... you guys are close enough with 100 pounds, right?

Apostolic said:

I didn't get to be 62 & 1/2 and hauling LTL freight for 43 years by killing myself lifting more weight that I could safely handle.

70 lbs at the union ltl freight companies as well.:nutkick:

we all can call Apo whatever the weight is, he will do it on his lunch brake. then put it in his photo album, then look for sombody to ask something then tell his TM in his office then post how wonderful it all was.

Thank you for the kind words wassesname!

You know I was able to get 3 lunch breaks this week.
Better than none right?
When the newbees P&D divers finaly get put into service than I see myself getting a lunch break every day,as well as anyother breaks I have coming.
I'll have to check to see what the other breaks are?

I do get breaks waiting for loading docks on my route,I think they should count.

My camaras is getting dusty for lack of use.
My route trailer loads have been really set up good.

Gee they do know I still have the camara in my lunch bag every day.

Although I've got to give them the benefit of the doubt,that the dock crew may be getting better at their jobs?

The only time I see my TM anymore is maybe twice a week when I start my shift,he's been very busy he spends most of his time in his office on the phone.

We had more floods with heavy rain this week,it was a warm rain,I was soacked to the bone three times that day,doing my route.

But life is good.
I really love being a UPS Freight P&D driver.

I hope I've addressed all of your comcerns for me?

I'm happy your thinking of my general well being.
Its nice that all of us truckingboard folks are so thought of by one another.
Gives you a real WARM feeling.