TForce | UPS Freight is going to be unionized so get over it.

We Know How Them Overnite Drivers Are They Do Alot Of Talking We Seen It When It Happened In Norfolk Va They Had Enough Votes To Get The Union In And Everyone Of Them Got Scared And Turned Around And Voted It Out So Dont Talk Big Cause You All Are Going To Do What Ups Tells You To Do Or You Will Be Looking For A Job.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
Did you ever stop to think that the freight business is different from the package business.
Just because UPS owns us doesn't mean they can raise their rates astronomicaly to pay us,and still compete with the current LTL's.

If there was that kind of money in freight...don't you think the Freight agreement would be a much better package than it is now?

This leads to a question that was just answered in another post....if the teamsters are successful in organizing us,and they can get the rest of the non-union LTL's to organize...then you may have your wish...because there would be no other "cheap" carriers for people to ship with....then everyone will be on a level playing field and we could shoot for the stars in pay and bennies....but then it will cost so much to ship stuff that when you buy something,it will cost a small fortune(to offset the shipping costs)...and you still won't be making enough money.

Where does it all end.

It's pretty much the same reason the American Auto manufacturers are loosing the battle with the foreign cars.
The American(unionized) worker thinks he should be making $50/hour.
And people wonder why a new car costs as much as a house did just 20 or 30 years ago.

Well said.

But you forget... the market is the ultimate judge here.

If every LTL carrier was unionized, or paid union-comptetive wages and bennies, it would make shipping somewhat more expensive. But look at the fact that LTL carriers have been raising rates and tacking on fuel surcharges, and yet most carriers are seeing freight volume growth in double-digits annually.

Remember, it wasn't but a couple of decades ago that most of the industry was unionized. Then deregulation was forced down the industry's throat.

Did the drivers win? No, because if you look at average wages adjusted for inflation, even union drivers today are making less than in the Seventies.

So... who did win? The shippers did, that's who. They got far greater productivity, and they let the carriers slash each other's throats in a discount war for that shippper's business.

Did it ever occur to you all that shipping is undervalued in this day and age, because of overly fierce competition? And who is paying the price for that?

You and me, that's who.

You say that carriers would have to pass on the costs of increased wages and benefits, and that may be. Or maybe... just maybe... some of these carriers would have to stop handing out 70% discounts (which is industry average these days, and ask any salesman if I'm wrong) and start asking their customers to start paying full tariff rates.

I think that you might see some truckload carriers try and get into hauling more LTL if the LTL carriers start getting more expensive, but that may not work very well in this day and age when even the best-paying carriers are finding it difficult if not impossible to find good, qualified drivers or even just warm bodies to fill their trucks.

Hey, that ain't Swift I'm talking about, either. I'm saying ABF... Yellow... FedEx Freight... ConWay... they are all having difficulties in recruiting. The average driver shortfall is now reaching crisis proportions, so there is already market forces at work bringing pressure to bear to drive up wages and bennies.

My point has always been that the union is a market force, and a rising tide lifts all ships... to one degree or another. But the more carriers that are unionized or pay union-level wages, the more leverage the companies have in attracting and retaining drivers, which is a HUGE concern amongst all carriers right now.

Freight don't move without drivers, I don't care what you pay or what discounts you give out.

You can't really draw a direct comparison betwee auto workers and truckers, because one is about manufacturing a product that can be built more cheaply elsewhere versus a service industry that has a high bar madated by the government to reach in driver standards and safety.

Competition for drivers is for the forseeable future going to be a far bigger driving market force than unionization amongst all sectors of the trucking industry.

Our time is now, so let's use the leverage we have while we have it...

The Central States Health and Welfare Fund has dealt with this diversion by serious cuts, essentially killing retiree health care. A 56-year-old Teamster retiring with 30-and-out on Central States Health and Welfare now must pay $1,220 per month for medical coverage for the Teamster and spouse.

Can anyone tell me if this is true?

bamaboy said:
The Central States Health and Welfare Fund has dealt with this diversion by serious cuts, essentially killing retiree health care. A 56-year-old Teamster retiring with 30-and-out on Central States Health and Welfare now must pay $1,220 per month for medical coverage for the Teamster and spouse.

It's not. From what I understand you'd have to be 57 to be eligible for retiree insurance. It will be expensive, but not that high. Maybe somebody knows the actual amount. Nobody is happy about this change, which was put into place in October, 2003, but the Administrators of the Fund, an equal number of Union and Company representatives, are legally obligated to make changes that are necessary to the Fund's wellbeing. Nobody can dispute the problematic, astronomical raises in healthcare costs. I always refer people to the gal in our Union Hall who is very informed on these matters. But again, I don't think $1220.00 per month is realistic ate age 57.

bamaboy said:

No it is not true.
1st you can not retire until 57 years old with retiree insurance.
2nd it would depend on the age of the spouse as to how much the cost would be but it would not be nearly what you have posted.

I have 30 years in and have talked to Central States about this very thing. It is less than half of that.

PINBALL said:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mostadmired/top20/
Tooo bad FXFE's not able to be rank against y'all in that category. We are lumped in with the number 2 in the world overall.

Reading the link someone else provided, the freight doesn't have that much to do with it. Quote from that link:http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=anfOK_rlTwZY&refer=us

FedEx Express, which operates global cargo flights, produced two-thirds of FedEx's $32.3 billion in revenue for the fiscal year ended May 31. The international operations of UPS provided 19 percent of its $42.6 billion in 2005 revenue.
So thats roughly 21 billion with ten left over. Packaging which is bigger then the freight by far would consume most of that 10. Not saying your not a big player, would be foolish. Just a little input for ya.

In referance to the teamsters,,,I think that ALL of ups freight should be teamsters not just part here and there ,,we need all terminals to be union

So even if I had 30 years and I was 55, I would have to work two more years until I was 57 to get a retirement with medical benefits. At UPS Freight I could retire at 55 with medical benefits. How is this retirement better?

bamaboy said:
So even if I had 30 years and I was 55, I would have to work two more years until I was 57 to get a retirement with medical benefits. At UPS Freight I could retire at 55 with medical benefits. How is this retirement better?
Where did you get this Info? I could not find it. I understood it to be that upsf would contribute around $250 per month towards medical benefits after retirement. I could not find it on Upsers site or in my retirement program booklet. Although I did find on page #13 (UPS reserves the right to amend or discontinue any employee benefits or plans at any time and for any reason.)

Although I did find on page #13 (UPS reserves the right to amend or discontinue any employee benefits or plans at any time and for any reason.)

Look at any one's retirement and you will see that say quote. That is the legal way to get around any plan failures, whether single or multi plans. I might have to pay a couple of hundred $ per month, no different than now, depending on the option that I choose. But the plus for me is that I get to choose the coverage that I want for me and the Mrs. I got the info from my TM who talked with someone in benefits and answered my question. The new UPS Freight insurance plan gives you many options.

bamaboy said:
The new UPS Freight insurance plan gives you many options.

I just got my letter of Benefit Confirmation. What a stinken mess!! I'm single Dad with a young daughter. I did the application on line and got copies of everything. They just informed me that I am the only one covered. Unbelievable!! Also medication I need is not covered. And as icing on a cake, the company insurance has been apparently misalculated and the additional cost will be past on to us. So many options!! Bring on the horses.

bamaboy said:
Although I did find on page #13 (UPS reserves the right to amend or discontinue any employee benefits or plans at any time and for any reason.)

Look at any one's retirement and you will see that say quote. That is the legal way to get around any plan failures, whether single or multi plans. I might have to pay a couple of hundred $ per month, no different than now, depending on the option that I choose. But the plus for me is that I get to choose the coverage that I want for me and the Mrs. I got the info from my TM who talked with someone in benefits and answered my question. The new UPS Freight insurance plan gives you many options.
I would like to see in writing what options you have after retirement regarding medical benefits. It is the legal requirement of any company that is giving medical benefits to its employee to offer medical benefits after retirement. The catch is, What is the cost to the employee?

hugnlug said:
I just got my letter of Benefit Confirmation. What a stinken mess!! I'm single Dad with a young daughter. I did the application on line and got copies of everything. They just informed me that I am the only one covered. Unbelievable!! Also medication I need is not covered. And as icing on a cake, the company insurance has been apparently misalculated and the additional cost will be past on to us. So many options!! Bring on the horses.
The time for insurance was up in june ?I've had mine done for over a month no problems....:cool:

Johnnybegood said:
The time for insurance was up in june ?I've had mine done for over a month no problems....:cool:
I did my insurance online before the June deadline and just got my confirmation letter now. The part where I stated that they did a miscalculation on the ins. cost to us I found out today was a line of bull. Sorry for that bit of misinformation. But as for the rest I am pretty P.O'd!!!

Most drivers I talk to are holding out, waiting for UPS mgt. to start chopping heads and make some BIG changes. I for one will wait and see. It's always been a hole card for us overnite drivers.(talk union and the company starts making changes, then back off)