TForce | UPS Freight is going to be unionized so get over it.

All my trucking years have been in upstate New York.

I was told 20 years ago when I took a withdrawel from the Teamsters that My 20 year pension was frozen at that point.
If I wanted to rejoin I'd have to pay a small amount of money to be reinstated,as a Teamster again,but that if it was more than 3 years I'd have to restart a pension.
Now that was from my Teamster local back in 1986.

Teamster251 said:
First of all, Glad to be has the scenario twisted toghter.

Overnite's pension will be frozen at time credited. Meaning if you have twenty years when you elected to start collecting you willl received the allowable credit for twenty year that is due to you.
Upon contributing to Teamster pension you will recieve a formula (still to be determined) that will pay you for the years you start to contribute to the Teansters Pension fund(s).

Several scenarios have been disclosed.
These scenarios are also determined by each pension fund involved and can vary.
Some offers are three for one and two for one. This means for every year you contribute up to determine amount of years you will recieve the determined credit.
You must however contriv=bute at least a minimium amount to qualify, which in both case seems to be five(5) years.
Which means you must be vested in this new offer or plan(s).

APO you have been out of you paln for 20 years menaing your contibution rate was no where near the contribution rate it is at today. You must be vested in the new formula or you would be collecting more than is due to you.
Investigate you plan and you will find that the plan tells you that id you don't not contribute for "X" amount of years you must re-vest to collect another pension.
Also if the plan location is different that you effect the vesting also.
In other words if your tqwenty years were with NY/NJ and you are now working in UpState's plan that that means you are in a seprete plan and can't combine anyway.

There are a lot of factors that come into play and weighing al htos factors means getting all the facts.
You will not get all the factds on this website Get the facts by going to meetings, investigating, making phone calls, asking questions. Don't use the rumors or heresays from this site to make your discession.
Well said Teamster251.
Something I might add is that a lot of those items(vesting, etc.) can be negotiated with the pension plan administrators once a plan is selected. Central States offered UPS Cartage vesting after only 12 months service after the contract was signed. The point is, there are countless options, so don't just sit there and complain about one option, research and submit better options so we can all decide on the best one for all of us.

Apostolic said:
I was told 20 years ago when I took a withdrawel from the Teamsters that My 20 year pension was frozen at that point.
If I wanted to rejoin I'd have to pay a small amount of money to be reinstated,as a Teamster again,but that if it was more than 3 years I'd have to restart a pension.
Now that was from my Teamster local back in 1986.

Okay so you were told this info up front when you took a withdrawl what's the problem, what don't you understand about being revested?

Apostolic said:
than the organized workers vote to except it?

Or does every proposal thats offered, and gets written into a drafted contract that all the organized workers want,than its presented to UPS for approvel?

Also the only ones that are eligible to vote are only the organized terminals,is that correct?

If your not a card signed up Teamster, your not qualified to offer proposals,or to vote on any contract?
Am I also correct on this question?
let me try to address these questions for you, Apostolic.
First, once the contract is finished here in Indy, then each terminal, upon their completion of the card check(50%+1), will add in any necessary local and regional provisions(to abide by state laws, etc) and then sign that contract. If you have a proposal or something you would like to see in the contract, now is the time to submit it, before the contract is finished. You can submit them to me here, but the best thing to do is to submit them in writing to your local hall and ask them to forward them to Local 135 or to Ken Hall directly.
Second, there is no vote. The card check agreement eliminates the need for a vote. If you are talking about the contract, then each terminal will likely see that Master Contract before they become certified, so in effect, yes your terminal could vote down the contract by not getting enough cards signed to certify. That's why the Teamsters know they must negotiate us a strong contract.
Third, only the terminals that have completed their card check and have become certified will sign the contract.
Fourth, I have been urging all UPS Freight drivers, both pro-union and anti-union to set aside their prejudices and submit suggestions and proposals and help us to make this a great contract for everyone. I also welcome suggestions from drivers from other companies. Nothing better than experience when it comes to that.
I hope I have answered all of your questions. If not, feel free to contact me either here or in private. If I can't answer your question, I will get it from someone who can. The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Just that i'm offered 2 for 1 pension credits..

only if I work at least 5 more years under whatever UPS Freight contract is signed in.
I'm 62 now my target age for retirement stands at 65 years old.
If a contract is ratified and signed by UPS by my next birthday in March of 2007,than I'll be looking at only 2 more years.
So does that mean I'll only receive 2 years under the contract,because I won't have the 5 required years?
It sounds like that would be the case.
Not what some of my co-workers say that I'd get 4 for the 2 new contract years served?

Now do you under stand my confusion,Teamster251?

Apostolic said:
only if I work at least 5 more years under whatever UPS Freight contract is signed in.
If a contract is ratified and signed by UPS by my next birthday in March of 2007,than I'll be looking at only 2 more years.
So does that mean I'll only receive 2 years under the contract,because I won't have the 5 required years?
Not what some of my co-workers say that I'd get 4 for the 2 new contract years served?

Now do you under stand my confusion,Teamster251?
As I said in one of my previous posts, Central States offered UPS Cartage vesting after 12 months service after the contract was signed. So there are many options, and believe me, We are going to make sure you guys nearing retirement don't get short-changed.

Apostolic said:
"...only if I work at least 5 more years under whatever UPS Freight contract is signed in.

Now do you under stand my confusion,Teamster251?"

I can't speak for every plan, but I do know in the West pension plan, we have accelerated vesting for older new participants, so you could possibly gain a decent benefit after only a couple years of service.

Also, in the West pension, unless they make a special exclusion for UPSF members, the two-for-one credits usually only go back ten years on your non-Teamster time. So if you have twenty years at Big O, you should get credited for ten of those years at the two-for-one rate, so in a way, you would get credit for all twenty years of your past service in a non-Teamster plan.

Damned! I wish I had that deal!

You guys are going to get to have your cake and eat it, too! You get your pension from Overnite, accelerated vesting if you are older, and two-for-one credits for your past years for service at Big O, up to ten years.

Again, this is in the West pension, which is what I am familiar with. Central States or other plans could be different, but I do know that this is the deal everybody included in the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust would be offered...

Skeeter said:
"...I have one question? I have 24 years with Overnite {UPSF} Will I be credited with that amount or will I have to start over after having OVNT retirement froze. If so I'll lose on that deal.

If Indy wants the mother of all contracts then have our time we have now counted. That would perk some interest. If it is in writing. I still want to be tied to the UPS contract..."

Again, Skeeter, here's the deal in the West, which is the plan you would be in...

You would get your twenty-four years of pension benefit under your now-frozen Overnite plan.

You would be credited for up to ten years of that twenty-four years at a two-for-one rate, giving you ten years credited time under the Teamster plan.

If you are over 55, you would also get accelerated vesting benefits, that would have you vested sooner. But even if you aren't, after only five years of service in under the Teamster plan, you would be vested, and have fifteen years of credited time in under the Teamster plan.

So let's add that up:

24 years of Overnite pension benefit
+
10 years of credited Teamster pension time for your years at Overnite
+
5 years maximum to be fully vested in the Teamster plan if under age 55, for a total of twenty-five years minimum Teamster benefit under the WCTPT plan.

Does that make sense?

fatjack said:
make it easy just say no no no no no no no no no no no
Just say no to 2 for 1 pension just say no to better work rules and to better sick pay and delay. Just say no to better benifits and pay who needs it no one in there right mind would want these things. :hysterical: :hysterical:

looks like all the non-union folks better get with the..

Teamster unions new program,or get out of the way.

No more shooting up our equipment,or taking baseball bats to windshelds.
No more cussing,and sign waving.
No more pickiting of our terminals ,or customers.
Just informal information being exchanged by informed Teamsters,and UPS Freight workers.

The Teamster machine is on its way down the highway,paving a new future for our non-union LTL trucking company,it looks to me you either have to jump on board,or jump out of the way.

UPS Freight had time to make a few wage,and benefit ajustments,but they failed to act on their workers requests,now they'er going to have to allow an outside organization to do our bidding.

Oh well thats life,you either have to get with the program,or come up with a better plan.

Don't let the memories of a few bad apples come in the way of a better life and a better job. None of us can promise there aren't going to be a few jerks along the way, but the large majority of us are pulling for you guys at UPSF. And those guys are going to have to answer to the rest of us, and we aren't going to take any of that lightly, trust me.

Remember... a rising tide lifts all ships...

What about my retirment medical benefits. I loose them with "O" if we join the IBT, take Skeeter's years and tell me what I will have to pay for retirement insurance from me and my wife if I retire after the 5 years i have to spend to be vested.

bamaboy said:
What about my retirment medical benefits. I loose them with "O" if we join the IBT, take Skeeter's years and tell me what I will have to pay for retirement insurance from me and my wife if I retire after the 5 years i have to spend to be vested.

bamaboy. You'll lose your O benefits but you'll gain the union H&W which I'm sure is better than what you have now and you don't have to pay a penny for it

If I will only be 55 when I can retire, are you sure that I will not have to pay anything for my medical benefits in Cent States?

bamaboy said:

Believe nothing tell you see it in writing.
They can sell you the moon but when it comes time to collect it's a different story.

Just look a the past with the teamsters. They have sold the men out more than once.
If they are truthful they would agree.

Do like I am and I think most intelligent people here at UPSF wait and see how it all unfolds. Don't be rushed into anything.

We can wait a few months and then know for certain.