TForce | Ups freight pickups. Is there a limit as to how heavy and long a delivery or pick up can be?

Pianoman74

TB Lurker
Credits
I would like some clarification I was under the understanding that we do not pick up Freight over 500 pounds with liftgate. Customer would have to arrange a way to put that on our truck. Is that correct or does anybody know? And as far as deliveries go are we allowed to refuse to deliver something that is too long and too heavy when it needs to be lift gated?

hF8O6Zg.jpg

Cut the bands and unload it piece by piece at the end of the customers driveway.
We don't take our equipment on residential driveways.
All residential deliveries are curb side only, if you do anything more, then that is on you

I retired in 2008 after Overnite was UPS Freight for the first few years.
My terminal always called customers for an appointed delivery date & time.
For the customer who knew what they ordered to either have help to unload.
Or they should arrange for us to drop off their shipment at a cartage company to deliver with help on their truck.

I find it hard to believe that after 10 years,that policy has changed.
That now it is left up to P & D drivers to deliver heavy stuff?

When I was a UPS Freight trainer in my last years of my trucking career.
I always told my fellow employees to use their heads & not go beyond their judgement about what was safe,or not.
After all you only have one body to abuse,or to inform the company of unreasonable tasks.
So you can be in good health to continue trucking.

I agree, some of these new "arbor structures" we are delivering are rediculous. Very long, awkard and extremely heavy.

We get those long and bulky Gazebos from Costco, shipped by Yardistry Limited.
Those things can weigh 680lbs plus. If you’ve ever looked at the side of those boxes, it says “Heavy Box” Requires 2 people to lift.
Sometimes you get lucky and can take them off intact using a pallet jack, other times they must be broken down and delivered piece by piece.
It’s normally curbside but Costco tells customer “Threshold Delivery” aka Inside front door or garage.
Our rules of curbside is what we follow. Garage or open back area as courtesy.

Same goes with Playnation Playsets and Rogue Workout equipment.

I can remember the wooden play ground sets.
Our terminal always appointed them for customers help.
The customer had to agree to the terms,or arrange for a dock pickup at our terminal.

45 years as a p&d driver,there was no way I was going to break my back for any customer.