TForce | UPS Freight Truckload

walgreensdriver

TB Lurker
Credits
I have applied at UPS Freight truckload both as a domestic driver and as a dedicated driver. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between TL and LTL in regards to benefits, pay, and if these are union positions, etc. Are they considered separate companies? I am looking in Northern CA.
Thanks

UPS Truckload is non-union, from my understanding (I tried to transfer over, but was not allowed b/c I am union) they are run separately, they have their own terminals, although they are allowed to fuel up/lay over at UPS Freight LTL terminals. They do not pull LTL freight (at least from what I've seen in my region). They run dry van and flatbed (I haven't personally seen any reefers). I don't know any specifics about pay/ benefits, I've spoken with a few Truckload drivers and they are happy for the most part. For some reason, Truckload Division doesn't seem to be scrutinized as much as us LTL guys by Big Brown. Alot of Truckload drivers don't have uniforms or dresscode. Hope some of this helps, good luck Walgreensdriver...

Were they hiring for future openings or current positions? When I tried to transfer over, they weren't hiring, but this was in Greenville, SC...

What terminal were you looking at? Pomona, CA? Send me a pm and I can get you a phone number to the terminal and you can talk to a recruiter...

Do not go to work for SCS TL division, and there is such an entity, you will work for nothing, plenty of money but no miles. I ran into 3 O\O'S who worked for them and they were telling me they were starving.

UPS Truckload is non-union, from my understanding (I tried to transfer over, but was not allowed b/c I am union) they are run separately, they have their own terminals, although they are allowed to fuel up/lay over at UPS Freight LTL terminals. They do not pull LTL freight (at least from what I've seen in my region). They run dry van and flatbed (I haven't personally seen any reefers). I don't know any specifics about pay/ benefits, I've spoken with a few Truckload drivers and they are happy for the most part. For some reason, Truckload Division doesn't seem to be scrutinized as much as us LTL guys by Big Brown. Alot of Truckload drivers don't have uniforms or dresscode. Hope some of this helps, good luck Walgreensdriver...

Were they hiring for future openings or current positions? When I tried to transfer over, they weren't hiring, but this was in Greenville, SC...

I heard Truckload can't get uniforms because Corp hasn't made up their mind on the colors. lol:hysterical:

/\ Your right about that one, all that money they must be saving by not issuing uniforms too, that money must be going into our new equipment or bonuses...just a lil internet sarcasm

What out!!!!!!!!!!!! from what I have been told from a driver the truck load division NON UNION tops out at .39 mile

Keep in mind that Truckload is the same as a common carrier, and therefore competes with companies like C.R. England, Gainey, Crete, and so on. there are downsides, but the miles are high. The runs are mostly team, so that is .39 at 4,000 to 5,500+ weekly. I make over 1,200-1,300 weekly in miles, with UPS bennies. This is certainly much better than most common carriers, especially when you consider the holiday/vacation pay stuff.

Well, I am here to inform you that you info is out of date. Truckload runs teams all over the country.
I should know, I am one of them. My co-driver and I run over 5k weekly.

My info is from just last week. Hardly out of date. They said you had to be with the company for a year before you can run teams. And teams run mostly dedicated. I will be running as a team for 2 weeks in december running the dedicated mail routes. 5k a week? Why so much goofin off? I have been running over 3000 a week as a single. 3000 a week pays better at .39 than 2500 at .42

Donto you are right. tl is the old special service division. They haven’t received a raise in 5years. I worked for them 10 years ago, when it was decent. Can you consider working for less with no representation? tl is not stable. I still talk with a few ssd employees... yuk!

yes digital driver, i know some of the ssd drivers in virginia, havent talked them in awhile, by what they tell me the pay is low compaired to ltl, and a lot longer to top out than before

My info is from just last week. Hardly out of date. They said you had to be with the company for a year before you can run teams. And teams run mostly dedicated. I will be running as a team for 2 weeks in december running the dedicated mail routes. 5k a week? Why so much goofin off? I have been running over 3000 a week as a single. 3000 a week pays better at .39 than 2500 at .42

I've been with the company for 7 years running dedicated runs. Think what you want, I can't spill all of the beans, But you are really getting invalid info. Just wait till truckload finishes doing what its doing. You freight guys will be jumping like spawning trout for a transfer to truckload.
They told us we had to wait to go over to freight, but nobody wanted to go.
No hard feelings, but being non-union has worked out very well for me.

Donto you are right. tl is the old special service division. They haven’t received a raise in 5years. I worked for them 10 years ago, when it was decent. Can you consider working for less with no representation? tl is not stable. I still talk with a few ssd employees... yuk!
WTF? I get a raise every six months. Someone is pumping you full of poo to keep you pro-union.
That is total BS!!!