TForce | Ups freight truckload

twotimes

TB Lurker
Credits
As a truckload driver I've been hearing rumors that this division is going to be axed.Just wondering if anybody has any info.

twotimes said:
As a truckload driver I've been hearing rumors that this division is going to be axed.Just wondering if anybody has any info.
Don't lose any sleep over it. Rumors are just that!!

personaly i see that market picking up after (or if , or only when) we go union. are there any new twin-screws on order?

For crying out loud some of you folks think the union is your savior?

If a company decides they want to change,union,or not they won't let anything stand in their way.

A good case is Red Star.None of their employees knew they were walking into a trap when the union advised them to strike.
I know many of their drivers personaly from my union years.

I don't know the exact number?
I've heard it was around 33 office workers that wanted to organize,and the company wouldn't hear of it.

Just a thought but maybe these workers were getting a good company settelment for their co-operation for helping Red Star close?

Who knows the whole story but those that we'er involved.

The Teamsters called a strike.
The first terminal walked out in PA.in the morning,where the office workers were working .

By noon the whole company was shut down.

The next day they said they'd lost to much revenue,that they had to close up forever.

Months before that happened all of us city drivers would ask their drivers why we all were seeing twice as many Holland trailers delivering around town than they had at their terminal.

They all had no clue.
I talked to a few when I see them working as spares for other union companies.

They tell me that Red Star was looking for a way to go out,and Holland wanted to take over some of their terminals.

Some even say they think the Teamsters union was in on the whole scheem,and that Red Star,or the USF group of trucking had paid them off in some way to get their workers to walk out so the company would have a reason to close.

I for one have looked to Jesus christ as my only savior,he's always taking very good care of my needs,and has never let me down.

wassesname said:
personaly i see that market picking up after (or if , or only when) we go union. are there any new twin-screws on order?

Mna I hope so.....That makes running Denver a whole lot easier.....Chain 30 times a year instead of a 100....But not hearing good thing from the Denver shop though....Hope I stay headed into the sun or you all haven't heard atitude yet....

twotimes said:
No haven't heard that but told in the quartly meeting that they were going to spend 20 million on truckload side this year:bgroovy:

Easy there Apostolic. Those are a whole lotta assumptions and accusation's your throwing out there. Sounds an awful lot like "gossiping"

Welcome twotimes

twotimes said:
Welcome twotimes. Glad you found us. I don't think they are going to axe the truckload division for the simple reason that it is growing and UPSF is advertising it.

Well Krash I know some Red Star drivers went non-union

If you talk to their former drivers,you'll find how true the events of their closing that I've posted here are.

Some had enough time in barely to retire.
Some couldn't find union work so they took withdrawals from the union and are working for non-union companies.
Only a very few were able to get union work and are working as spares.

I can't recall hearing anything in deffence of the Teamsters?

twotimes said:

Got to just love them rumors. Didn't you know companies always shut down their money makers. So start packing your bags.:biglaugh:

Hey Skeeter Holland was the money maker in the USF group.

About a year before Red Star closed Holland was crossing all of the Red Star routes gaining their customers.

On the same note that CCX did too Consolidated Freightways,and Yellow did with Preston.

The companies that survived came into the weaker trucking companies markets and drained off their good money making accounts,than closed their doors.

It was kind of strange that Teamster union CF started non-union CCX,yet non-union CCX killed their union parent.

Yellow was another story Preston would have closed a year or more before Yellow took them over.

But Yellow wanted to gain their customer base.
After they did they bankrupted them.
Maybe for a tax write off?

Red Star was operating over cost in the USF group of LTL's so Holland was sent in to take over their customers.

And with the help of the Teamsters, Red Star is one more company of the past.

Tell you what my brother, it is truely better to trust in the Lord than any human wisdom.

I remember back in the day before deregulation of the industry,there was more than enough for about 3500 LTL trucking companies in North America.

Now theres only less than you can count on one hand left.
Of those we know ABF a stand alone LTL,and Yellow with the companies under their care.

Go figure,where is this LTL indusrty going to wind up?

Thanks hugnlug,been checking in for quite awhile now.I had to ask about truckload,sick to death of all the rumors,didn't think any were true but wanted to see if anybody knew anything.Thanks all

If a company decides they want to change,union,or not they won't let anything stand in their way.

A good case is Red Star.None of their employees knew they were walking into a trap when the union advised them to strike.

Apostilic you are truly mis-informed here about RedStar.

If a company wants to change they won't let anything stand in there way, like labor laws, binding agreemnts, dedicated employees, future earnings, or even a good corporate repretation. I know this is how Overnite operated but, USF RedStar's shutdown is far from a good example.
USF Red Star did not go on strike. A strike needs a vote from membership. We were not advised to strike. We honored a lone picketer from Local 107 that walked in front of our gate at 7AM May 21, 2004.
Something that is protect with federal and state laws as well as a sympathetic action article in the NMFA.

I've heard it was around 33 office workers that wanted to organize,and the company wouldn't hear of it.

Just a thought but maybe these workers were getting a good company settelment for their co-operation for helping Red Star close?

The first terminal walked out in PA.in the morning,where the office workers were working .

First of all USF RedStar was illegally shut down by a newly hired "union hit man" that was at the helm of USF for only 19 days.

The job action that took place May 21, 2004 was not a strike, it was a job action walk out in support of 15 office personal that signed cards for union representation and the company would not bargin in good faith with them. These 15 men and women were from our Philly terminal represented by Local 107. All terminals were shutdown at 7 AM. It was a coordinated effort. One terminal didn't walk out alone. We all did it at the same time.

One thing you fail to mention here is USF Dugan was in the middle of a radical union drive, along with Bestway contract talks and some Reddaway terminals signing cards.

The newly hired CEO, Dick D, who had just come from Martin Bruear and successfully closed two union run distribtion centers and relocated the work, was hired to quell what looked like an entire USF organization drive.
The newly hire CEO has fired (employement terminated) 6 months later, in NOV 2004.

If you don't know the facts why are you commenting on all this. I was involved and know the facts.

The next day they said they'd lost to much revenue,that they had to close up forever.

As far as the USF claiming that the company "suffered financial devastion" for a one day job action is like saying everytime the company closes for an Act of God (weather) they were devestating themselves financailly. Give me a break, how can a company that is finacailly devestated pay all of its employees in full for thier earned vacations and personal days. Doesn't sound to devestating to me. Then a later greivence filed on our behalf by the Teamsters our 2005 vacation were paid in full in Febuary of 2005. More finacial devastion at work I guess.

Funny thing, USF was found liable for 2004 and 2005 vaction and sickdays along with violation of the WARN Act and lost a 7 million dollar settlement. The checks will be mailed to all employeees June 12, 2006 for WARN Act payment. Vacation checks have already been recieved in full. What bankrupted companies have paid all it employees in full for two years post, the vacation they earned.

Months before that happened all of us city drivers would ask their drivers why we all were seeing twice as many Holland trailers delivering around town than they had at their terminal.

They all had no clue.

Holland's service did overlap ours (RSEL) ant "gate" terminal areas and we did share equiptment. At that point (2004) USF was sharing equiptment at a larger capacity than ever before. We (Cumberland RI) were peddling with Holland and Glen Moore trailer as well as Dugan pups. You were seeing RedStar drivers with holland trailers and I highly doubt that youy were seeing double the trailer pool of the nearby terminal. If I recall most trailer pools at termianls were well over 100. Are you still sure you saw 200 Holland trailer peddling around the city?

They had no clue? A clue about what?
Why the Holland trailer were there or that the company was scheming to close them and bring in Holland. (once again, against labor laws). You go on to say you talked to a few (how many is a few) that are working as sapres and then say in a later post on this same thread that not many gott union jobs.
Have you talk to eveyone of only talking about the few you talked to. I know when I use the word "few" it means three or four.
There were over 130 men and women at my terminal.
I can tell you were everyone of them ended up.
13 at New Penn Cranston RI
7 at UPS Warwick, RI
1 at UPS Brockton Ma
5 at UPS Shrewsbury Ma
10 at Stop & Shop Freetown Ma
3 at ABF Seekonk
2 at ABF West Bridgewater MA
4 at ABF Shrewsbury Ma
7 at Yellow Abington MA
4 at Yellow Seekonk Ma
3 at Yellow Shrewsbury Ma
8 at NEMF Pawtucket RI
3 Office Teamsters at NEMF
3 at Roadway Avon, Ma
3 at Roadway Lincoln RI
2 at Roadway Shresbury, Ma
2 Teamster mecahnics at New Penn Cranston
14 retired right away not even seeking employment.

That's 94. That's 72.3% That's a little more than a few that immediatly returned to union jobs. If you want to state that not many recieved jobs or are working non union please back that info up. Lately you seem to be stating things that are poor specualtion, rumor, or have a certain agenda all your own.

They tell me that Red Star was looking for a way to go out,and Holland wanted to take over some of their terminals.

In actuallity USF was working on a closer realtionship or merging of Holland and RedStar's operation. USF, by law, couldn't just come in and close RSEL and re-open in terminals that belong to RSEL just because they wanted them or wanted expand in to the RSEL covered area. USF step on thier Johnson closing RedStar becuase it closed off superior service offered by USF to the Northeast. Many loyal customer that used the USF brand or RedStar will never return, that the biggest reason for Holland's failure or lack of growth in the Northeast.

Some even say they think the Teamsters union was in on the whole scheem,and that Red Star,or the USF group of trucking had paid them off in some way to get their workers to walk out so the company would have a reason to close.

Again listen to waht you are saying, "some think, some say, speculation taht boils down to illegal dealings from the corporation. In the grans scheme of things here you suggests the corporation master minded a deal here with the Teamsters. Are you saying this is good, bad or indifferent?
Is it okay for the corporation to do this but becuase the union may have been involved it's wrong?

I spent 15 good, hard working years at RedStar. They were a superior company as far as service, saftey orientated, and treatment of their dedicated employees both union and non-union.
Do sit here and talk about nothing you know of, or compare it to somnething it doesn't apply to mean meet your agenda.

T251

PS: you state,
"Just a thought but maybe these workers were getting a good company settelment for their co-operation for helping Red Star close?
What is this suppose to mean, are you insinuatiing that the company underhandedly approached these employees and offered them compensation to help close RedStar?
I know this is how Overnite has operated in the past but that was far from the case. I suggest your thoughts are a little tainted by twenty years of Overnite and a bad case of union representation on your past which sounds to me was not followed up properly by yourself.

Teamster251 said:
Apostilic you are truly mis-informed here about RedStar.

If a company wants to change they won't let anything stand in there way, like labor laws, binding agreemnts, dedicated employees, future earnings, or even a good corporate repretation. I know this is how Overnite operated but, USF RedStar's shutdown is far from a good example.
USF Red Star did not go on strike. A strike needs a vote from membership. We were not advised to strike. We honored a lone picketer from Local 107 that walked in front of our gate at 7AM May 21, 2004.
Something that is protect with federal and state laws as well as a sympathetic action article in the NMFA.

First of all USF RedStar was illegally shut down by a newly hired "union hit man" that was at the helm of USF for only 19 days.

The job action that took place May 21, 2004 was not a strike, it was a job action walk out in support of 15 office personal that signed cards for union representation and the company would not bargin in good faith with them. These 15 men and women were from our Philly terminal represented by Local 107. All terminals were shutdown at 7 AM. It was a coordinated effort. One terminal didn't walk out alone. We all did it at the same time.

One thing you fail to mention here is USF Dugan was in the middle of a radical union drive, along with Bestway contract talks and some Reddaway terminals signing cards.

The newly hired CEO, Dick D, who had just come from Martin Bruear and successfully closed two union run distribtion centers and relocated the work, was hired to quell what looked like an entire USF organization drive.
The newly hire CEO has fired (employement terminated) 6 months later, in NOV 2004.

If you don't know the facts why are you commenting on all this. I was involved and know the facts.

As far as the USF claiming that the company "suffered financial devastion" for a one day job action is like saying everytime the company closes for an Act of God (weather) they were devestating themselves financailly. Give me a break, how can a company that is finacailly devestated pay all of its employees in full for thier earned vacations and personal days. Doesn't sound to devestating to me. Then a later greivence filed on our behalf by the Teamsters our 2005 vacation were paid in full in Febuary of 2005. More finacial devastion at work I guess.

Funny thing, USF was found liable for 2004 and 2005 vaction and sickdays along with violation of the WARN Act and lost a 7 million dollar settlement. The checks will be mailed to all employeees June 12, 2006 for WARN Act payment. Vacation checks have already been recieved in full. What bankrupted companies have paid all it employees in full for two years post, the vacation they earned.

Holland's service did overlap ours (RSEL) ant "gate" terminal areas and we did share equiptment. At that point (2004) USF was sharing equiptment at a larger capacity than ever before. We (Cumberland RI) were peddling with Holland and Glen Moore trailer as well as Dugan pups. You were seeing RedStar drivers with holland trailers and I highly doubt that youy were seeing double the trailer pool of the nearby terminal. If I recall most trailer pools at termianls were well over 100. Are you still sure you saw 200 Holland trailer peddling around the city?

They had no clue? A clue about what?
Why the Holland trailer were there or that the company was scheming to close them and bring in Holland. (once again, against labor laws). You go on to say you talked to a few (how many is a few) that are working as sapres and then say in a later post on this same thread that not many gott union jobs.
Have you talk to eveyone of only talking about the few you talked to. I know when I use the word "few" it means three or four.
There were over 130 men and women at my terminal.
I can tell you were everyone of them ended up.
13 at New Penn Cranston RI
7 at UPS Warwick, RI
1 at UPS Brockton Ma
5 at UPS Shrewsbury Ma
10 at Stop & Shop Freetown Ma
3 at ABF Seekonk
2 at ABF West Bridgewater MA
4 at ABF Shrewsbury Ma
7 at Yellow Abington MA
4 at Yellow Seekonk Ma
3 at Yellow Shrewsbury Ma
8 at NEMF Pawtucket RI
3 Office Teamsters at NEMF
3 at Roadway Avon, Ma
3 at Roadway Lincoln RI
2 at Roadway Shresbury, Ma
2 Teamster mecahnics at New Penn Cranston
14 retired right away not even seeking employment.

That's 94. That's 72.3% That's a little more than a few that immediatly returned to union jobs. If you want to state that not many recieved jobs or are working non union please back that info up. Lately you seem to be stating things that are poor specualtion, rumor, or have a certain agenda all your own.

In actuallity USF was working on a closer realtionship or merging of Holland and RedStar's operation. USF, by law, couldn't just come in and close RSEL and re-open in terminals that belong to RSEL just because they wanted them or wanted expand in to the RSEL covered area. USF step on thier Johnson closing RedStar becuase it closed off superior service offered by USF to the Northeast. Many loyal customer that used the USF brand or RedStar will never return, that the biggest reason for Holland's failure or lack of growth in the Northeast.

Again listen to waht you are saying, "some think, some say, speculation taht boils down to illegal dealings from the corporation. In the grans scheme of things here you suggests the corporation master minded a deal here with the Teamsters. Are you saying this is good, bad or indifferent?
Is it okay for the corporation to do this but becuase the union may have been involved it's wrong?

I spent 15 good, hard working years at RedStar. They were a superior company as far as service, saftey orientated, and treatment of their dedicated employees both union and non-union.
Do sit here and talk about nothing you know of, or compare it to somnething it doesn't apply to mean meet your agenda.

T251

PS: you state,
"Just a thought but maybe these workers were getting a good company settelment for their co-operation for helping Red Star close?
What is this suppose to mean, are you insinuatiing that the company underhandedly approached these employees and offered them compensation to help close RedStar?
I know this is how Overnite has operated in the past but that was far from the case. I suggest your thoughts are a little tainted by twenty years of Overnite and a bad case of union representation on your past which sounds to me was not followed up properly by yourself.

Driver you got an agenda??????? Your out here poluting the masses!!!!!
You go driver!!!!!

Teamster 251,thanks for the real story..

Your right I knew all the Red Star drivers that worked in my area.
I got all my information in bits,and pieces from them as I saw them at different locations we were delivering at.
I did notice a lot more Holland drivers delivering in our area than Red Star,and none of your drivers knew why.

The day before the closing I saw them walking in front of the terminal and stopped to ask what was going on?
The one I asked said he wasn't sure,something about office workers wanting to organize in PA.

The next day they closed,I heard it from drivers working for other LTL's in my area.
no one could believe it.
Than there was a news story that said they closed because they lost too much money for the day their workers walked out shutting their operation down.

Still latter I saw a driver driving city at CCX,he told me he had to give up his union card and go non-union,other than that he didn't want to say too much,other than the union messed them over,he seemed very bitter about the whole event.

I talked to one working as a spare,he told me about where he thought the rest of the drivers went,but that they all went their seperate ways and don't keep in touch.

So I do stand corrected in seeing all the facts you have posted.

I know how it was when my last Teamster company that I had close to 18 years with went bankrupted.

Everything was fine the friday before the saturday they closed up.

They were even operating in the black,turned around by around 93% of all us employees taking a pay-cut.

Something I'd rather not do again.
The upper management ran out stiffing,employees and their vendors for a lot of money.
May God have mercy on their souls.
After 3 years they paid what they owed a dime on the dollar.
They owed me close to $7000.00,I got 2 checks around $650.00 after taxes.

I still remember the phone call sunday after coming home from church .
It was my TM saying he had bad news, the company closed their doors saturday afternoon,don't bother coming to work in the morning.

Here I'd worked overtime friday,I was number 2 in senority over all at my terminal and ,just like that it was over.

Than on to spare for 11 union companies,finaly running into selective representation from my local union rep's.
I ran out of union work,I took a withdrawal,and hired on with Overnite 20 years ago.

Sorry to the rest of the posters on the truckingboards that I only had the story the way I heard it.

krash said:
Easy there Apostolic. Those are a whole lotta assumptions and accusation's your throwing out there. Sounds an awful lot like "gossiping"

I worked at Red Star. It was 13 office workers in Philadelphia that wanted to join the union. They signed cards. USF wanted a vote. Union said no, accept the cards & give us a contract now. Put one before the company & they refused to sign it. Said give them a vote. Union said no, put all the terminals out on strike at 7AM on a Friday morning. Hoffa was in Las Vegas golfing & did not have his cell phone along. The first of many feeble excuses as the rats ran for cover. By Sunday evening, Red Star announced the closing. The union has been 100% no help to anyone since this fiasco happened.

The WARN act only occured because of a brother & his tireless efforts. The union would have "slipped on the banana peel" & refused to file. Union used that phrase many years ago when we got screwed on a contract issue. The Teamsters tried to get the lawsuit that was privately filed dropped. They held up our payment. They cost us 3% more in legal fees. They would not argue our case before the NLRB. The Teamsters silence on this issue is deafening.

I sure don't know the whole truth. But what I do know, this whole thing stinks to high heaven. IMO if we need a union, it will be a necessary evil.

Apostolic said:

They all had no clue.

I for one have looked to Jesus christ as my only savior,he's always taking very good care of my needs,and has never let me down.
Yeah but red star was bringing down usf.That was a easy way for usf to close them and move holland into place.It just business nothing personal.

The union has been 100% no help to anyone since this fiasco happened.
Maby you should get with Teamster251. It appears he's had some succes with the Union. I do feel for yall and sorry for what took place. Maby it was a trap. Maby they planned on closing regardless. But remove all Unions and see how far wages drop for the middle class. The Union is what is keeping us alive and the wages liveable.

woodnnn said:
Yeah but red star was bringing down usf.That was a easy way for usf to close them and move holland into place.It just business nothing personal.
USF(TNT) brought down Red Star !! They were a well run money making carrier until USF's synergy started them in a downward direction. USF hired Brad J who hired Dave H etc.
When I started with Red Star in 1977. They were one of the best carriers in the northeast with an operating ratio in the mid 70's. Their highly profitable Canadian service was 1 of ...if not the best in the business.

The 1st thing TNT did was to shut down our Canadian operation because they owned Overland. They took away our most profitable lanes and due to USF's upper rmanagement through poor service, reduced Red Star to a 2nd rate operation. We ended up with USF's hand me down management team & used equipment.

Looking back on it we didn't stand a chance

Since I got out of the union,I still have good union friends.

They all agree that given the same bad breaks I got from the union they'd also take a withdrawal,and go non-union to stay in the trade.
I know all the drivers that worked at Red Star,and was very sorry to see them lose their good union jobs.

The first time I saw a driver I asked about where did everyone go?

And was told the sad story.

Just because I had to leave the union to stay with LTL trucking I really hate to see my former union brothers companies fold up.
I know the feeling and its not something I'd wish on anyone.