TForce | UPS Freight Union Vote

Apostolic said:
No Sir.
I will receive my old Teamster 20 years credit earned from 1966 till 1986.
I will also receive my 20 years Overnite credit earned,also whatever time is earned at UPS Freight up to a signed contract.

What I understood at the meeting was after UPS Freight is unionized,with a signed contract from UPS,
If I'm not able to complete 5 additional years under this contract,I won't have any earned credit.
In other words if I only work 1-4 years.
I won't get those years when I leave trucking,in retirement or whatever.
If I'm able to complete 5 years I'll get the 2 for 1 deal.
So now do you see what I'm trying to say?

Sorry apo. If I am understandingyou correctly . You are saying you will not see a thing?. rite?

Apostolic said:
Yes I'll be good with what I've earned till now CFer.
I was just trying to point out that I would have to be re-vested because my break in service was to long since 1986 when I froze my original 20 years of Teamster credit.
So now I'm the same as a brand new Teamster,and I won't get credit for any years from a signed contract start up if I fall short of the required 5 years for vestment.

This point I was posting, turned out to be more complicated than I thought it would be,when I brought it up.
I'm kind of sorry I posted it in the first place.

Apo. some of the guys in our terminal are in the same position as you and all they need is 5 more years to retire, and they will be automatically vested , 2 of them also after 20 years cut from the teamster's . Are you sure about this. ?

For crying out load I'm only saying I'm getting the 20 year former union credit.
Which stopped back in 1986 when I froze it by taking a withdrawl from the Teamsters.
I've got those years coming.
Now I have 20 years in at Overnite/UPS Freight.
This is earned credit.

Now this is the last time I want to post this OK?

I'm 62 &1/2 now.
If I work another 5 years,after UPS Freight is all unionized,and a signed contract starts out fresh.
I will be good for the 2 yrs,for 1 Overnite years up to 10 years,and 10 regular Overnite years,without 2 for 1.

But If I fall short of the 5 required years for union vesting,whatever time in between the start of the union contract,and the end of my employment at UPS freight for whatever reason will be lost.
So 20 yrs. union plus 20 plus years till a signed contract starts out,is forever mine.

Whatever time from the contract start,till the end of my employment if it falls short of the 5 years is lost time.

I don't know if I can put this any planer,I hope you get it this time.

Like I posted before I'm kind of sorry I posted this in the first place?

wassesname said:
he will add to his union pension from day one, not after 5 more years ...no 2 for 1... in .25 year incriments. (I think)
:busted_blue: I haven't read this through to the end, so if someone mentioned this, sorry.
As for adding to his pension of old might not be true. Alot of pensions have been frozen, and new ones started. So he in fact might have two different ones.

Apostolic said:
For crying out load I'm only saying I'm getting the 20 year former union credit.
Which stopped back in 1986 when I froze it by taking a withdrawl from the Teamsters.
I've got those years coming.
Now I have 20 years in at Overnite/UPS Freight.
This is earned credit.

Now this is the last time I want to post this OK?

I'm 62 &1/2 now.
If I work another 5 years,after UPS Freight is all unionized,and a signed contract starts out fresh.
I will be good for the 2 yrs,for 1 Overnite years up to 10 years,and 10 regular Overnite years,without 2 for 1.

But If I fall short of the 5 required years for union vesting,whatever time in between the start of the union contract,and the end of my employment at UPS freight for whatever reason will be lost.
So 20 yrs. union plus 20 plus years till a signed contract starts out,is forever mine.

Whatever time from the contract start,till the end of my employment if it falls short of the 5 years is lost time.

I don't know if I can put this any planer,I hope you get it this time.

Like I posted before I'm kind of sorry I posted this in the first place?

OKAY I am sorry for bringing it up. I will go now.:Banger-Cow:

serta said:
:busted_blue: I haven't read this through to the end, so if someone mentioned this, sorry.
As for adding to his pension of old might not be true. Alot of pensions have been frozen, and new ones started. So he in fact might have two different ones.

Several guy's at our terminal have withdrawl card's and they were told the same as I have mentioned above.

Their service with the teamster's will increase by .25 incraments and the 2-1 deal will only apply if the last the 5 years vestment. The only way we will now for sure is when the planner's for the pention fund get together and lay out a plan as to what they can give us ( usually 2-1) but they cannot gaurantee until a contract is sighned, it is purely speculation at this point.

You know I'm finding even the Teamster union locals members don't seem to know whats going on?

Our rep.'s here in NEW YORK tell us one thing .
Than I read different information from other parts of the country,from Temaster posters?

Some how everyone in the Teamster union needs to get on the same page.
If the Teamsters can't get it together to give us correct information,than where does that leave us poor junior UPSers?

Apostolic said:
You know I'm finding even the Teamster union locals members don't seem to know whats going on?

Than I read different information from other parts of the country,from Temaster posters?

If the Teamsters can't get it together to give us correct information,than where does that leave us poor junior UPSers?

You know, its not just the Teamster posters who get this stuff all mixed up! Anytime you get more than 3 people together trying to discuss something like this you are going to get 3 different opinions about it and usually all of them are wrong!
Like the ol saying goes, "opinions are just like ***holes, everybodys got one and most of them stink............."
Wiser folks here have tried to tell everyone that when the facts of the Indy negotiations come out then everyone will have a better understanding of what is going to happen.

We should all be patient I believe!!

Apostolic said:

They are being honest, They really don't know. And they can't guess what will be negotiated. As I have said all along, You will only know the facts when you see the actual agreed apon contract. An unusual opportunity to see what you can have before you vote.

Apostolic said:

Right now all anyone can do is speculate what may be in the contract.
The contract will probably be 2 inches thick, so no one will know what we could/will get until the negotiations are done....which could take 6 months or more to complete.

Like people have said before....have patience....because this will not be a quick deal.

The only people to believe when speaking about what could be in the contract are the people who say they have no idea, because no one does.

Apostolic said:

Apo,
Being patient is very good advice, Also, and I'm sure this has been said many times before, there is no one pension plan that covers all Teamsters nationwide.....there are many different plans. I think you'd be under the New York State Plan that BigR recently retired under. As time goes on all of these questions will be answered but as for now it's pure speculation as to exactly how the UPSF guys Teamster pension will be figured. I'm sure we will all have this information before anyone votes on the Contract. The negotiation team for the Teamsters are well aware of situations such as this and I'm sure they'll do their best to consider every angle for the betterment of all of you.

I did find out from the Teamster rep.s that a contract of language has to be signed for by UPS,before anyother issuse such as wages,overtime,delay pay,or anyother benefits can be even brought to the table.
This is step one.
So we'll all have that much longer to see if its worth anything to join the Teamsters,or just remain non-union.

Apo,
That's not entirely true....there's no law that says the language has to be agreed upon before the money can even be discussed.....it's just the order of items they're choosing to address first. They discuss things in an order so that the negotiations aren't all over the place all the time. As we've all told you, this process will take some time. This is an accepted fact of all negotiations......they don't just get together and in a few days hammer out an entirely new Contract like you might think. Would you really want them to rush it through and not address everything in depth on something as important as the first UPSF Contract? If I was a UPSF employee I sure wouldn't.

Well if I can't believe my local union rep.s, than what do I have to go on,other than all the different ideas flying around the truckingboards?

Apostolic said:
Well if I can't believe my local union rep.s, than what do I have to go on,other than all the different ideas flying around the truckingboards?
Apo,
I think you probably didn't understand what they meant. I don't doubt that the language might be the first issue tackled because often it's the hardest part......it's not that it has to be agreed to first, it's just the order of issues that Contracts are usually negotiated in.

Apostolic said:

From what I understand ( and I do not know if you all have been hearing the same as I) but we are going to have a meeting at the end of the month in referrance to a rough draft of the contract thus far. Now we shall see what the teamster's are made of. This above anything as far as I am concearned is truely going to say what UPS think's of us.

And furthermore the 2-1 should be brought up ,after all ,they will be asking what we think about it ,and how we as a whole can best improve the contract . This is what we are hearing at our local hall.

As an Older UPS Freight hauler, that stands to lose up to 4 years of pension if I'm not able to reach the required 5 years.
I don't mean to sound greedy,but why can't we just get grandfathered into the Teamster pension fund,when UPS signs a contract?

Our Old Overnite years would be froze.

Than starting up fresh with the Teamsters pension waving any vestment seeing we are already UPS Freight employed?

After all the older workers like myself are not going to work very long into a new pension plan that its going to make a dent in the fund.

Why do we need to let UPS pay into a pension fund that the Teamsters will get insted of us if we don't make the 5 year vestment period?

This deal really doesn't give me much reason to want the union to organize us in the first place.
Can't we older workers get a better deal?

Ao,
Again, with all due respect, none of us have any idea asto how this will work. Back in 1976 I was at a factory and we organized. In our Contract the two old guys (I was 22 at the time) who had been there for years got a deal that would also give them a decent retirement. They weren't penalized for their age, in other words. So it's not like the Teamster negotiators aren't aware of this because they were aware of it 30 years ago.

The 5 year deal you're hearing about is when a guy comes into freight from another Teamster job where his pension was going to be lower.....and after 5 years at the top employer contribution rate he can then enjoy the full retirement benefits as if top contributions were always being paid in for him. This may or may not be the case in the UPSF negotiations.

Don't automatically assume you're going to be left out in the cold as it pertains to the pension.