TForce | UPS Freight Union Vote

We will be left in the cold. Apo you hear all of this talk of what's going to happen and no one is really giving us the facts. I see the way for us to go is to take care of us first and worry about everyone outside later. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that other company's hope we go union which i don't care for doing but if i had to do it sure wouldn't be the teamster i would vote for APWA because we know all the false promises the teamster tell knowing that they can't deliver,like paying dockworkers $26 hr. Everyone know thats not going to happen no time soon. If nmfa isn't making that so the teamsters know that their no way this is going to happen. Just telling them that to get the vote. I hate a liar no matter who it is. In this case it's the teamsters.

misfit73 said:
We will be left in the cold. Apo you hear all of this talk of what's going to happen and no one is really giving us the facts. I see the way for us to go is to take care of us first and worry about everyone outside later. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that other company's hope we go union which i don't care for doing but if i had to do it sure wouldn't be the teamster i would vote for APWA because we know all the false promises the teamster tell knowing that they can't deliver,like paying dockworkers $26 hr. Everyone know thats not going to happen no time soon. If nmfa isn't making that so the teamsters know that their no way this is going to happen. Just telling them that to get the vote. I hate a liar no matter who it is. In this case it's the teamsters.

I'd like to see the part where a Teamster Official promised your dockhands $26.00 an hour.........can you prove this or is it just APWA BS? I sure don't recall anybody promising that. I do recall a few UPSF workers wishing that would come true, but we all told them it wasn't going to happen.

misfit73 can you please enlighten us as to what kind on contracts APWA has negoitiated for anyone as of the present ? Maybe we can compare what they have done to what the IBT has in its nmfa. Here in Indy I haven't heard of any offers on hourly pay never mind an offer of $26.00 per hour. As the wise man said sir you are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts.

Again my first 20 years of Teamsters service is frozen back in 1986 when I took a withdrawl.
Now I have a 20 year plus,break in service,with this time at Overnite/UPS freight.

At the local union meeting I attended I was informed by the Teamsters V.P. that I'd have to work another 5 years with a signed union contract to be re-vested.
It would be all or nothing depending on making the 5 year requirement.
All with 5 full union years where I'd get the 2 for 1 deal,or nothing more if I fell short of these 5 years.
The nothing is anytime between a contract start,and when I leave if its short of these 5 years.
My first 20 years of Teamsters union pension is a lock.
My Overnite UPS Freight years are also a lock.
Its the time between a UPS Freight contract start up,and up to say 4 &1/2 years service that would be lost to me.
Any of these monies would stay in the Teamsters coffers of their pension fund.
I wouldn't be intitled to anything in that time frame,if I fail to make it the whole 5 years required.

Now in my mind this is as plan as I can post it.
I hope its clear to whoever reads it.

5 yr vesting

stldude44 said:
Ao,
Again, with all due respect, none of us have any idea asto how this will work. Back in 1976 I was at a factory and we organized. In our Contract the two old guys (I was 22 at the time) who had been there for years got a deal that would also give them a decent retirement. They weren't penalized for their age, in other words. So it's not like the Teamster negotiators aren't aware of this because they were aware of it 30 years ago.

The 5 year deal you're hearing about is when a guy comes into freight from another Teamster job where his pension was going to be lower.....and after 5 years at the top employer contribution rate he can then enjoy the full retirement benefits as if top contributions were always being paid in for him. This may or may not be the case in the UPSF negotiations.

Don't automatically assume you're going to be left out in the cold as it pertains to the pension.

my local is slightly different
it takes 3 yrs to bring up any time earned previously providing the guy was employed by another teamster job in another local
apo 's case is remarkably different as he has a 20 yr break in service which gets treated entirely different, however in light of what is going on exceptions have and can be made to accomodate guys like him

example
i work 1975 to 1990 in 707 with a $ value of $100 per credit when leaving
i then work for a job in local 560's jurisdiction from 1991 to 2000
i then go back to a 707 job from 2001 to 2004 and now the $ value of each credit is now $140 per credit, all of the previously earned time in 707 now comes up to $140 per credit
the 560 time stays at the amount it was when leaving the local

in this case as far as apo is concerned i think his previous time earned will only rise up to current levels providing he worked in that same local in his ending years
in his current situation i am sure the teamsters will not leave him and guys like him high and dry

Apostolic said:
Again my first 20 years of Teamsters service is frozen back in 1986 when I took a withdrawl.
Now I have a 20 year plus,break in service,with this time at Overnite/UPS freight.

At the local union meeting I attended I was informed by the Teamsters V.P. that I'd have to work another 5 years with a signed union contract to be re-vested.
It would be all or nothing depending on making the 5 year requirement.
All with 5 full union years where I'd get the 2 for 1 deal,or nothing more if I fell short of these 5 years.
The nothing is anytime between a contract start,and when I leave if its short of these 5 years.
My first 20 years of Teamsters union pension is a lock.
My Overnite UPS Freight years are also a lock.
Its the time between a UPS Freight contract start up,and up to say 4 &1/2 years service that would be lost to me.
Any of these monies would stay in the Teamsters coffers of their pension fund.
I wouldn't be intitled to anything in that time frame,if I fail to make it the whole 5 years required.

Now in my mind this is as plan as I can post it.
I hope its clear to whoever reads it.

Just another way for the caring teamsters to shaft the men and women the so call care for. They know a large majority of people won't be able to make five more years. So they won't have to pay out more of their dwindling pension.:smillie_flag:

Skeeter said:
Just another way for the caring teamsters to shaft the men and women the so call care for. They know a large majority of people won't be able to make five more years. So they won't have to pay out more of their dwindling pension.:smillie_flag:

Skeeter, first off. Every pension plan whether it's a union plan or a corporate plan has vesting requirements. This has nothing to do with anyone trying to screw someone else. It's simply the way EVERY pension plan works

Secondly, If I understand you correctly, you're saying that a large majority of UPSF employees are within 5 years of retiring? If thats the case your company is gonne be in big trouble having nobody to drive the trucks due to so many people retiring and a lack of qualified drivers.

Based on your knowledge of the company Skeeter, What do you consider a "large majority"?

Come on Skeeter, I thought you were better than this

Skeeter said:

Skeeter, If they are going to give 2 for 1...don't you think it is only fair to require you to work 5 to get it?

I am not for the union, but I do understand logic.

If they were to give 2 for 1 and not require a time period to vest, the 15 an 20 year men would retire as soon as we went union...and where would that leave the pension?

I'm in NY so that puts me in the eastern pension plan.
I was told by the V.P.of the local Teamster union that my break in service is to long.
To much time from taking a withdrwal that I now have to be re-vested.
Back when I first joined the union in 1966 the vestment period was 10 years.
If you worked under 10 years you were out of the money.
Somewhere along in time the Teamsters changed this vestment period to just 5 years.
Its just when you get to my age,5 years seems like a long time.
Most of my co-workers are a lot younger than me.
5 years is nothing to them.
When the cards come around to my terminal after a contract is in place.
I might have an outside chance of asking the Teamsters in my local to wave this vestment period,or at least make it shorter?
Who knows it could be an open option?

misfit73 said:

The art of having a strong union , is the key to having leverage, In our case we have teamster's . This company is only comprised of teamster's. Do not think going to APWA is going to get us leverage in this job market, nobody is on thier side as of yet. The APWA is comprised of very little in comparison to the Teamster's.

Furthermore I do not know if you realize the fact that the airline pilot's are teamster's, the brownies are teamster's, the feeders are teamster's, menlo is teamster's, plane operation's and fueling agent's are teamster's, mechanic's is teamster's . Now if we have a problem with UPS in the future, with the APWA as our backing, what makes you think they will bargain with this union , that is comprised of 15,000 VS 200,000 strong with the teamster's?

As far as I am concearned it is easier to buy another trucking company, get them up and running as FDX is doing with WTKNS, halt on all negotiation's ,and close us down? VS the leverage we have with the teamster's they will not close small package, airlines and then trucking , then maintenance ,It's a little harder.

I wonder if anybody has given that any consideration, as bad as the teamster's mite be in anyone's eyes, there is truth too the statement " strenght in number's"
And besides you show me a union that can deliver anything they say and I will show you a pig that fly's , After all we know they cannot deliver leverage. Make sure you ask the APWA this.:bananalama: :bananalama:

Accelerator said:

Furthermore I do not know if you realize the fact that the airline pilot's are teamster's, the brownies are teamster's, the feeders are teamster's, menlo is teamster's, plane operation's and fueling agent's are teamster's, mechanic's is teamster's .

UPS pilots are with the IPA. And I believe a few of the mechanics are with the Machinists Union.

But you are right Accelerator. The majority of UPS employees are Teamster.

And why would the so called Union of the Association of PARCEL Workers of America want anything to do with a freight company??

Accelerator said:
The art of having a strong union , is the key to having leverage, In our case we have teamster's . This company is only comprised of teamster's. Do not think going to APWA is going to get us leverage in this job market, nobody is on thier side as of yet. The APWA is comprised of very little in comparison to the Teamster's.

Furthermore I do not know if you realize the fact that the airline pilot's are teamster's, the brownies are teamster's, the feeders are teamster's, menlo is teamster's, plane operation's and fueling agent's are teamster's, mechanic's is teamster's . Now if we have a problem with UPS in the future, with the APWA as our backing, what makes you think they will bargain with this union , that is comprised of 15,000 VS 200,000 strong with the teamster's?

As far as I am concearned it is easier to buy another trucking company, get them up and running as FDX is doing with WTKNS, halt on all negotiation's ,and close us down? VS the leverage we have with the teamster's they will not close small package, airlines and then trucking , then maintenance ,It's a little harder.

I wonder if anybody has given that any consideration, as bad as the teamster's mite be in anyone's eyes, there is truth too the statement " strenght in number's"
And besides you show me a union that can deliver anything they say and I will show you a pig that fly's , After all we know they cannot deliver leverage. Make sure you ask the APWA this.:bananalama: :bananalama:

They also don't have the corrupt track record of the teamsters...:smillie_flag: