FedEx Freight | UPS Freight warns shippers to brace for possible freight strike

Like I said in my other post you have no interest in looking at their plan and pointing out how much better their plan is all your doing is trying take jabs at me and act like I don't know what I'm talking about. They have retiree healthcare also I can go on if you like. My point is we deserve better than what we have, if you have a problem with that so be it, but I won't quit saying things that other people are scared to say. With the monumental tax cut we received this past year we should have been able to do better than raise our insurance premiums.
Retiree healthcare? LOL! They will dump that. Just as they are paring back pensions. And have your forgotten that the Teamsters now own their healthcare after UPS gladly jettisoned it? So now a bunch of thug union leaders, who've just screwecd over the packaged division, are in charge of a multi-billion dollar healthcare plan. What could possibly go wrong?

Teamsters forces UPS Freight workers to vote again on rejected sellout contract

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/10/30/upsf-o30.html

"Many workers have also suggested that the timing of the vote, occurring over Friday, Saturday and Sunday, November 9–11, with workers forced to vote in person at local union halls, rather than online or by mail-in ballot, is aimed at reducing the voter turnout. This would allow the union to utilize the same two-thirds clause to impose the agreement by fiat."

Not a big fan of the source of this article, but Holy Smoke... The quotes alone are enough to raise questions about motivations, tactics and integrity. I'm saddened by this, without a doubt.

Another clip from a long article...

"Speaking on behalf of the company, Teamster official Taylor declared that UPS would not accept any fundamental changes to the agreement because there is “no more money to be had.”

This incredible statement came just one day after UPS released its profit figures for the third quarter of 2018, showing a 20 percent year-on-year profit increase to $1.5 billion. The company is on track for $7 billion in profits this year. Revenue from the UPS Freight division has increased by more than 11 percent.

The statement by Taylor warns that this agreement is the “last, best and final offer,” and claims if workers vote “no” there “will be a strike at a time and location(s) determined by the negotiating committee.”

This is a threat against workers rather than a call to action. Any action overseen by the Teamsters executives would be aimed at isolating workers at individual facilities and starving them into submission with poverty level strike pay. Taylor made it clear the union would not call out warehouse and package delivery workers. “It is important to note that any strike against UPS Freight is directed only at UPS Freight and not against UPS Parcel or any other UPS entity.”"

I've been asked about this:
"The quotes alone are enough to raise questions about motivations, tactics and integrity. I'm saddened by this, without a doubt."
so I'll address it here:

Speaking on behalf of the company, Teamster official Taylor declared that UPS would not accept...

Why is a Teamster Official speaking (at all) on behalf of the Company?

And THIS:

Taylor made it clear the union would not call out warehouse and package delivery workers. “It is important to note that any strike against UPS Freight is directed only at UPS Freight and not against UPS Parcel or any other UPS entity.”

Why would legitimate representation include tossing the most significant leverage off the table?

While I support the concept of representation (when/where needed), which is based on solid principals, this is NOT what representation is supposed to look like.

The solution involves ACTUAL PARTICIPATION. When only around 15 percent of the membership bother to vote during their leadership election, this it what you get.

I've been asked about this:
"The quotes alone are enough to raise questions about motivations, tactics and integrity. I'm saddened by this, without a doubt."
so I'll address it here:

Why is a Teamster Official speaking (at all) on behalf of the Company?

And THIS:

Why would legitimate representation include tossing the most significant leverage off the table?

While I support the concept of representation (when/where needed), which is based on solid principals, this is NOT what representation is supposed to look like.

The solution involves ACTUAL PARTICIPATION. When only around 15 percent of the membership bother to vote during their leadership election, this it what you get.
I’m lost here, maybe you can clarify...

Was the teamster official not addressing the union members?? In this case, he would be speaking on behalf of the company in relaying what transpired during negotiations. Surely a “company official” would not address the union, that’s the union official’s job.

Duh...because the “most significant leverage” has already ratified their contract, they’re no longer in play. The plan was for both to vote NO but the lack of participation from parcel left freight holding the bag...kinda like that big tsunami did to CLT during our campaign!!

Agreed, the union is only as strong as its members and their elected leaders...and this is also why I’m not a fan of unions. Most members want to control their respective companies but yet they can’t even exercise the simplest of duties which is casting a vote!!

IMHO I think the real questions have yet to be asked so I’ll take the time to do it...

Q: Who was behind the whole “no vote” movement concerning UPS parcel and freight??
A: The TDU

Q: Who is the person behind the power and influence of the TDU??
A: Fred Zuckerman

Q: Who is president of local 89 in Louisville, Ky which represents the main hub for UPS??

Q: Who ran against Hoffa during the last teamsters election??

After considering what’s at stake, their proposed contract compared to the rest of the industry, and the very livelihood of each and every member, one has to wonder if Zuckerman’s actions were truly legitimate or nothing more than political posturing while using his own members as pawns for his personal gain!!??!!

Well, pretty safe bet we’ll never know how UPS would have retaliated if they voted no, but I suspect they would not have closed their doors.
What a waste of paying union dues either way.
No improvement or worse off if shut down.
If FXF ever went union I will be going to another carrier. Don't need pay reduced for no guaranteed job security.

Hey AF,

Certainly surprising to see you stopping in for a visit. Always offer interesting perspective.

We KNOW the push for 10% or better margins is going to drive the decision process. I just hope we don't miss a chance to (once again?) Dominate the hiring/retention part of the equation. Tech & efficiency is a valid goal, as well. I just hope proper weight is given to the "mule" that pulls the wagon.

While I have you, I'm curious about your take on the deafening silence on the "new" bonus metrics that have yet to be announced. This quarter is nearly over and we still don't know.

You don't have to answer, but I do have some (previously stated) suspicions.

Happy Friday! Stick around and stir the pot!:stirthepot:

I believe that the company understands the value and importance of investment in our most valuable resource. But just in case, I KNOW that the economic laws of supply and demand will serve as guardrails as well. We are seeing sign on and referral bonuses in many areas, which would suggest that GPD opportunities may exiat that can be identified during the annual GPD review. Certainly there will always be debate, but a rising tide also raises all boats. If the economy continues to percolate at a good level, so will wage rates at all scales.

IMHO I think the real questions have yet to be asked so I’ll take the time to do it...

Q: Who was behind the whole “no vote” movement concerning UPS parcel and freight??
A: The TDU

Q: Who is the person behind the power and influence of the TDU??

Q: Who is president of local 89 in Louisville, Ky which represents the main hub for UPS??

Q: Who ran against Hoffa during the last teamsters election??

After considering what’s at stake, their proposed contract compared to the rest of the industry, and the very livelihood of each and every member, one has to wonder if Zuckerman’s actions were truly legitimate or nothing more than political posturing while using his own members as pawns for his personal gain!!??!!
Hoffa is no angel either!

Well, pretty safe bet we’ll never know how UPS would have retaliated if they voted no, but I suspect they would not have closed their doors.
Agreed. Parcel would NEVER close the doors but freight is another story. It’s a safe bet to say Freight will ratify their contract as well, they’d be fools not to IMO.

Retiree healthcare? LOL! They will dump that. Just as they are paring back pensions. And have your forgotten that the Teamsters now own their healthcare after UPS gladly jettisoned it? So now a bunch of thug union leaders, who've just screwecd over the packaged division, are in charge of a multi-billion dollar healthcare plan. What could possibly go wrong?

Have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure you don't either. :lmao:

I’m lost here, maybe you can clarify...

Was the teamster official not addressing the union members?? In this case, he would be speaking on behalf of the company in relaying what transpired during negotiations. Surely a “company official” would not address the union, that’s the union official’s job.

Duh...because the “most significant leverage” has already ratified their contract, they’re no longer in play. The plan was for both to vote NO but the lack of participation from parcel left freight holding the bag...kinda like that big tsunami did to CLT during our campaign!!

Agreed, the union is only as strong as its members and their elected leaders...and this is also why I’m not a fan of unions. Most members want to control their respective companies but yet they can’t even exercise the simplest of duties which is casting a vote!!

Kind of ironic that you've become supportive on IBT leadership/tactics, while I've taken a more critical position. Meanwhile You are "not a fan of unions", while I appreciate the value of strong (private sector) Unions.

On to your comments. Yes He was speaking to the membership, but rather than merely share what the Company said (their stated position), he spoke in absolutes, "declaring" they will not or cannot budge. Again: Taylor declared that UPS would not accept any fundamental changes to the agreement because there is “no more money to be had.” Taylor has no way to be certain, or that the Company's stated position is true, or just posturing. Sharing the stated position is expected, but (in essence) campaigning for acceptance of the other side's position is not.

In negotiations I expect MY position to be pushed, NOT the other side's position. Imagine if your Real Estate agent came back with some nonsense like that.

Also, just because the package side has their contract (whether they like it or not), that does not mean they can't assist the "freight side".

Two things should NOT be done in negotiation. Never show your all of your cards at he negotiation table, and never back your opponent into a corner. The IBT seems to have done both, and even worse (in this case), backing their own members into a corner.

"The statement by Taylor warns that this agreement is the “last, best and final offer,” and claims if workers vote “no” there “will be a strike at a time and location(s) determined by the negotiating committee."

Poor negotiation tactics, motivation that is suspect, or both? Worth noting, UPSF members participated at a 66% level, THIS TIME. Seems "the establishment" does not approve of what the members said. Sounds ironically familiar.

Last edited:

Oh the irony. The last 5 yr contract made UPSF drivers the industry leaders. This one? NO. In fact, in several matters it is a clear step back.

One example:
"The contract also surreptitiously creates a second-tier of lower-paid workers by creating a new top pay scale for “in-progression” workers, that is, those who have not yet reached the top pay scale. They will top out at the current rate, which will not increase over the life of the contract, which means they will be paid $2.20 per hour less than current top-pay employees."

Current level Participation would have likely put Zuckerman in the top spot. Sounds like he has a better grasp of the membership view that the current "establishment" leaders do.

Climbing the ladder equates to "using his own members as pawns for his personal gain"? How ya figure?

Last edited:
Kind of ironic that you've become supportive on IBT leadership/tactics, while I've taken a more critical position. Meanwhile You are "not a fan of unions", while I appreciate the value of strong (private sector) Unions.

On to your comments. Yes He was speaking to the membership, but rather than merely share what the Company said (their stated position), he spoke in absolutes, "declaring" they will not or cannot budge. Again: Taylor declared that UPS would not accept any fundamental changes to the agreement because there is “no more money to be had.” Taylor has no way to be certain, or that the Company's stated position is true, or just posturing. Sharing the stated position is expected, but (in essence) campaigning for acceptance of the other side's position is not.

In negotiations I expect MY position to be pushed, NOT the other side's position. Imagine if your Real Estate agent came back with some nonsense like that.

Also, just because the package side has their contract (whether they like it or not), that does not mean they can't assist the "freight side".

Two things should NOT be done in negotiation. Never show your all of your cards at he negotiation table, and never back your opponent into a corner. The IBT seems to have done both, and even worse (in this case), backing their own members into a corner.

"The statement by Taylor warns that this agreement is the “last, best and final offer,” and claims if workers vote “no” there “will be a strike at a time and location(s) determined by the negotiating committee."

Poor negotiation tactics, motivation that is suspect, or both? At least we agree that lack of member participation make all of this possible.

If they do strike why would they not do it at all locations?:scratchhead:

Poor negotiation tactics, motivation that is suspect, or both? Worth noting, UPSF members participated at a 66% level, THIS TIME. Seems "the establishment" does not approve of what the members said. Sounds ironically familiar.
Aw, where to start...

I wasn’t being supportive of the IBT’s leadership/tactics but rather stating the obvious...he was just doing his job, for once. I’m “not a fan of unions” (private or public) because most members don’t understand the basics of business 101 although they continue to attempt to tell companies how to run their respective businesses.

Correct, he spoke in absolutes because he had either been at the table himself and he saw first hand the tone and demeanor of UPS’s negotiations officials or it was reported to him as such, either way it’s his job to convey this message to his members. “Campaigning for acceptance of the other sides position” is perfectly acceptable when one realizes what the alternative outcome could bring...as dumb as I think these guys can be at times, I’m sure this wasn't his first rodeo and even a blind man can see what the alternative outcome would bring.

Agreed, I expect my position to be pushed to the max too but there comes a time when one has to realize that you’re just not going to agree. My real estate agent has came back with this position many times over, its just part of negotiations...you either bow down and accept their demands or move on the to next buyer/seller, simple.

I disagree, the IBT backed the wishes of their members which was to move forward with a strike vote after their election results and UPS called their bluff. The members backed themselves into the corner by moving forward with the strike vote when they had no leverage to warrant such a decision.

Taylor was just doing his job concerning his statement...the members voted no on their contract offer, they then voted for a strike, UPS called their bluff and issued their LBFO, now the ball is back in the members hands, this is how the process works. The establishment may have their opinions but it’s up to the members to decide their own fate.

Union serves UPS more than it's due paying members.
Employees have more power than unions by quitting causing driver shortage.
Union did not do sh1t for parcel but take $$$.

Are you saying ups ground doesn't have a good contract? Ground has a excellent contract.

What a waste of paying union dues either way.
No improvement or worse off if shut down.
If FXF ever went union I will be going to another carrier. Don't need pay reduced for no guaranteed job security.
Kind of dramatic don't you think? Giving up seniority, vacation time & full rate because they go union.... unless your on the bottom....

Aw, where to start...

I wasn’t being supportive of the IBT’s leadership/tactics but rather stating the obvious...he was just doing his job, for once. I’m “not a fan of unions” (private or public) because most members don’t understand the basics of business 101 although they continue to attempt to tell companies how to run their respective businesses.

Correct, he spoke in absolutes because he had either been at the table himself and he saw first hand the tone and demeanor of UPS’s negotiations officials or it was reported to him as such, either way it’s his job to convey this message to his members. “Campaigning for acceptance of the other sides position” is perfectly acceptable when one realizes what the alternative outcome could bring...as dumb as I think these guys can be at times, I’m sure this wasn't his first rodeo and even a blind man can see what the alternative outcome would bring.

Agreed, I expect my position to be pushed to the max too but there comes a time when one has to realize that you’re just not going to agree. My real estate agent has came back with this position many times over, its just part of negotiations...you either bow down and accept their demands or move on the to next buyer/seller, simple.

I disagree, the IBT backed the wishes of their members which was to move forward with a strike vote after their election results and UPS called their bluff. The members backed themselves into the corner by moving forward with the strike vote when they had no leverage to warrant such a decision.

Taylor was just doing his job concerning his statement...the members voted no on their contract offer, they then voted for a strike, UPS called their bluff and issued their LBFO, now the ball is back in the members hands, this is how the process works. The establishment may have their opinions but it’s up to the members to decide their own fate.

Three parties involved in this. The Company has a position they are posturing to promote. The drivers have a position they are posturing to promote. The Teamsters (in this case) seem to have a position that mirrors the Company, rather than the drivers they represent. In effect the IBT is saying this is all we can do. I call BS on that, absolutely.

PS: Don't believe everything you hear at the negotiating table.

I believe that the company understands the value and importance of investment in our most valuable resource. But just in case, I KNOW that the economic laws of supply and demand will serve as guardrails as well. We are seeing sign on and referral bonuses in many areas, which would suggest that GPD opportunities may exiat that can be identified during the annual GPD review. Certainly there will always be debate, but a rising tide also raises all boats. If the economy continues to percolate at a good level, so will wage rates at all scales.
Good points, and the trend is undeniable.

Sadly, economic law of supply and demand is often very slow to cause the needed reaction.

My hope is to encourage the wisdom and benefit of getting ahead of the market. While there is a short term benefit to the Company in delaying the inevitable, the long term cost (to attempt to catch up) can be severe, and with far less return on investment.

Again, the current economics & the windfall gained by the improved tax policy, make for a rare opportunity to make the "corrections" relatively painless. Improvements to the efficiency and tech side were coming anyway, with or without the windfall savings from the Trump tax cuts, I think.