FedEx Freight | UPS Freight warns shippers to brace for possible freight strike

Kind of dramatic don't you think? Giving up seniority, vacation time & full rate because they go union.... unless your on the bottom....
Unions kill jobs.
If I would not leave good chance they will force people out somehow sometime. Loss of business, locations closing, outsourcing, downsizing, etc.

All those years of paying dues sure helped the folks at Carrier in Indiana.
"Carrier also laid off 338 manufacturing workers in July and another 215 this week. Those jobs are going to the company's plant in Monterrey, Mexico, where workers make about $3 an hour, according to Indiana union officials."

So will the folks get a refund of their dues since the union did diddly squat?

Three parties involved in this. The Company has a position they are posturing to promote. The drivers have a position they are posturing to promote. The Teamsters (in this case) seem to have a position that mirrors the Company, rather than the drivers they represent. In effect the IBT is saying this is all we can do. I call BS on that, absolutely.

PS: Don't believe everything you hear at the negotiating table.
Agreed, there’s always 3 sides at the table when the teamsters are involved...but in this case, they’re actually in the right IMO. (Never thought I’d say that!!)

My next response will also apply to your previous post so I’ll include it as well...

Oh the irony. The last 5 yr contract made UPSF drivers the industry leaders. This one? NO. In fact, in several matters it is a clear step back.

One example:
"The contract also surreptitiously creates a second-tier of lower-paid workers by creating a new top pay scale for “in-progression” workers, that is, those who have not yet reached the top pay scale. They will top out at the current rate, which will not increase over the life of the contract, which means they will be paid $2.20 per hour less than current top-pay employees."

Current level Participation would have likely put Zuckerman in the top spot. Sounds like he has a better grasp of the membership view that the current "establishment" leaders do.

Climbing the ladder equates to "using his own members as pawns for his personal gain"? How ya figure?

The IBT was elected to represent the employees but they also have to look out for their own wellbeing. In their LFBO, UPS gave in to all of their request EXCEPT in the case of money...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...rship-vote-set-for-nov-9-10-11-300738435.html

Anything is better than nothing and it appears the IBT recognizes this fact. Call it posturing if you want but when a company “clears out the system” after being threatened with a work stoppage, that tells me they’re preparing to shut the doors...and again, the IBT recognizes this as well. Surely you’re not saying they should vote no again?? Just like in our case, THEY HAVE NO LEVERAGE and unlike in our case, the IBT recognizes that this time.

As for wages, they’ll still be the top paid in our industry...including those who will be making the less $2.20...so what do they really have to bitch about?? Sometimes you just have to count your losses and live to fight another day...and a no vote this time would all but ensure that “other day” will never come IMO.

As for Zuckerman, he doesn’t have his members best interests in mind. He’s an IBT official, a master manipulator, so by default it stands to reason that he’s only looking out for numero uno!!

Last edited:
Agreed, there’s always 3 sides at the table when the teamsters are involved...but in this case, they’re actually in the right IMO. (Never thought I’d say that!!)

My next response will also apply to your previous post so I’ll include it as well...

The IBT was elected to represent the employees but they also have to look out for their own wellbeing. In their LFBO, UPS gave in to all of their request EXCEPT in the case of money...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...rship-vote-set-for-nov-9-10-11-300738435.html

Anything is better than nothing and it appears the IBT recognizes this fact. Call it posturing if you want but when a company “clears out the system” after being threatened with a work stoppage, that tells me they’re preparing to shut the doors...and again, the IBT recognizes this as well. Surely you’re not saying they should vote no again?? Just like in our case, THEY HAVE NO LEVERAGE and unlike in our case, the IBT recognizes that this time.

As for wages, they’ll still be the top paid in our industry...including those who will be making the less $2.20...so what do they really have to bitch about?? Sometimes you just have to count your losses and live to fight another day...and a no vote this time would all but ensure that “other day” will never come IMO.

As for Zuckerman, he doesn’t have his members best interests in mind. He’s an IBT official, a master manipulator, so by default it stands to reason that he’s only looking out for numero uno!!

I still say the IBT could do more. And LEADERSHIP should frame the conversation in such a way as to SUPPORT the members' decision. For example, (from your link) listen to the negotiating committee:

"The negotiating committee has determined that the LBFO does not sufficiently address the issues raised by the members. Nevertheless, because of the company's insistence that there is no more money to be had and in order to allow the members to make an informed decision on a question that will affect their livelihoods, the negotiating committee decided to submit the LBFO for acceptance or rejection. The negotiating committee is not making a recommendation to the membership for or against the offer."

That is the proper posture, IMHO. The negotiating committee gets it.

:1036316054:

As for wages, they’ll still be the top paid in our industry...including those who will be making the less $2.20...so what do they really have to bitch about??
:scratchhead:
You might be surprise to know, I have NOT been following this very closely. BUT a quick check shows this new contract does NOT keep them at the front of the pack, in a significant portion of the Country. NOT as good as the previous contract IMHO. In a different, more favorable market, I might add.

THE PROPOSED CONTRACT:
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...11/National_Master_UPS_Freight.pdf?1533247911

(d) Employees entering full-time Local Cartage job after August 1, 2013 2018 shall be paid in accordance with the following progression when performing local driving work:
Start.........$17.70
Seniority ... $18.00
Twelve (12) months.. $20.00
Twenty-four (24) months. $23.00
Thirty-six (36) months.$25.50

Forty-eight (48) months ............Top Progression Rate $28.65

*When an employee completes the above progressions he/she shall be eligible thereafter to begin receiving the general wage increases set forth in paragraph (a) above.

Future increases mentioned in paragraph (a):

2019 ................$0.40
2020 ................$0.40
2021 ................$0.45
2022 ................$0.45
2023 ...............$0.50

In this market, FOR A NATIONAL CONTRACT, that is not all that great. GOOD? Yes when factoring in benefits, but nowhere near as "industry leading" as the last.

Aw, where to start...

I wasn’t being supportive of the IBT’s leadership/tactics but rather stating the obvious...he was just doing his job, for once. I’m “not a fan of unions” (private or public) because most members don’t understand the basics of business 101 although they continue to attempt to tell companies how to run their respective businesses.

Correct, he spoke in absolutes because he had either been at the table himself and he saw first hand the tone and demeanor of UPS’s negotiations officials or it was reported to him as such, either way it’s his job to convey this message to his members. “Campaigning for acceptance of the other sides position” is perfectly acceptable when one realizes what the alternative outcome could bring...as dumb as I think these guys can be at times, I’m sure this wasn't his first rodeo and even a blind man can see what the alternative outcome would bring.

Agreed, I expect my position to be pushed to the max too but there comes a time when one has to realize that you’re just not going to agree. My real estate agent has came back with this position many times over, its just part of negotiations...you either bow down and accept their demands or move on the to next buyer/seller, simple.

I disagree, the IBT backed the wishes of their members which was to move forward with a strike vote after their election results and UPS called their bluff. The members backed themselves into the corner by moving forward with the strike vote when they had no leverage to warrant such a decision.

Taylor was just doing his job concerning his statement...the members voted no on their contract offer, they then voted for a strike, UPS called their bluff and issued their LBFO, now the ball is back in the members hands, this is how the process works. The establishment may have their opinions but it’s up to the members to decide their own fate.
damn he talks alot

You might be surprise to know, I have NOT been following this very closely. BUT a quick check shows this new contract does NOT keep them at the front of the pack, in a significant portion of the Country. NOT as good as the previous contract IMHO. In a different, more favorable market, I might add.

THE PROPOSED CONTRACT:
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...11/National_Master_UPS_Freight.pdf?1533247911

(d) Employees entering full-time Local Cartage job after August 1, 2013 2018 shall be paid in accordance with the following progression when performing local driving work:
Start.........$17.70
Seniority ... $18.00

*When an employee completes the above progressions he/she shall be eligible thereafter to begin receiving the general wage increases set forth in paragraph (a) above.

In this market, FOR A NATIONAL CONTRACT, that is not all that great. GOOD? Yes when factoring in benefits, but nowhere near as "industry leading" as the last.
UPS Freight Teamsters voted “Yes” for the contract.

THE PROPOSED CONTRACT:

Start.........$17.70
Seniority ... $18.00

When you consider the fact that they had no leverage, I’d say they did quite well...it’s better than no job at all come Monday morning!!

Hey AF,

Certainly surprising to see you stopping in for a visit. Always offer interesting perspective.

We KNOW the push for 10% or better margins is going to drive the decision process. I just hope we don't miss a chance to (once again?) Dominate the hiring/retention part of the equation. Tech & efficiency is a valid goal, as well. I just hope proper w
Sorry for the additional post, but either the server or my connection been giving me fits the past coupla days.

Have you viewed the Alan Graf AIC video available off the intranet home page? He covers the move from opco OM to Corp OI triggering the AIC plans. No specific numbers shared, so i reserve judgement until payouts. More often than not over the past several years, our opco would have enjoyed higher payouts under the Corp OI plan.

Last edited:
Sorry for the additional post, but either the server or my connection been giving me fits the past coupla days.

Have you viewed the Alan Graf AIC video available off the intranet home page? He covers the move from opco OM to Corp OI triggering the AIC plans. No specific numbers shared, so i reserve judgement until payouts. More often than not over the past several years, our opco would have enjoyed higher payouts under the Corp OI plan.

Glad you got your network back up and running. Not seen or heard of any such video. Thanks for the heads up.

The history of the AIC metrics, and the correlation with the trials a tribulations of the FXFE bottom line (O/R) is what causes me some concern. We struggled (for a time) under single op-co metrics. Now we are, by most accounts, on track to achieve those double digit returns. The bonus based on FXFE numbers would start to get significant. The timing for such a change seems... curious, at best. I too will try to withhold judgement until we have the numbers.

I will say the delay in providing the basis is disappointing.

So if FXF were to go union, FXF would shut down for a week to prevent unionization?

I guess the new strategy?
Going out of business reopening Monday with new name MC# same trucks not that smart anymore.
I hope the LME drivers were paid when MN DOL sued.

Sheesh, and average yearly raise of 47.5cents for the next 5 frickin years.

That SUCKS!
That's about half of the inflation rate.

FXF's next raise will be at least $1hr, probably $1.50hr,and wouldn't shock me if it was nearer to $2hr.

45cent hr raise?
That was a weak raise for a dock worker, when I was at Averitt 20yrs ago.

Anyone hear of an estimate of pallets or bills that might have been UPSF volume?

Last night was super slow. I guess UPSF volume cushioned the blow going into winter season.

Sheesh, and average yearly raise of 47.5cents for the next 5 frickin years.

That SUCKS!
That's about half of the inflation rate.

FXF's next raise will be at least $1hr, probably $1.50hr,and wouldn't shock me if it was nearer to $2hr.

45cent hr raise?
That was a weak raise for a dock worker, when I was at Averitt 20yrs ago.

31 dollars an hour is pretty good do you make more? They already make more, and will continue to do so unless something drastic happens. We might pass them at certain locations but those are few and far between.

Unions kill jobs.
If I would not leave good chance they will force people out somehow sometime. Loss of business, locations closing, outsourcing, downsizing, etc.

All those years of paying dues sure helped the folks at Carrier in Indiana.
"Carrier also laid off 338 manufacturing workers in July and another 215 this week. Those jobs are going to the company's plant in Monterrey, Mexico, where workers make about $3 an hour, according to Indiana union officials."

So will the folks get a refund of their dues since the union did diddly squat?
You sound young?

You sound young?

Apparently he isn't old enough to remember NAFTA. That's what killed jobs.

"Locked with out a wage you're standin' in the drop zone
The clockers born, starin' at an empty plate
Momma's torn hands, cover her sunken face
We hungry but them belly full
The structure is set you never change it with a ballot pull
In the ruins there's a network for the toxic rock
School yard to precinct, suburb to project block
Bosses broke south for new flesh and a factory floor
The remains left chained to the powder war"

Apparently he isn't old enough to remember NAFTA. That's what killed jobs.

"Locked with out a wage you're standin' in tha drop zone
The clockers born, starin' at an empty plate
Momma's torn hands, cover her sunken face
We hungry but them belly full
The structure is set you never change it with a ballot pull
In the ruins there's a network for the toxic rock
School yard to precinct, suburb to project block
Bosses broke south for new flesh and a factory floor
The remains left chained to the powder war"

Agree....