TForce | UPS is cracking the whip on us city drivers.

With effeciency comes speed. UPS does not want speed, they want effeciency. Believe me that is there ultimate goal. More akin to a mechanized battalion. Next door to our barn we have a UPS hub. There is 100+ drivers out of there. Between 8 and 830am they all leave to do there runs. On the other side of the street our equipment sits and sits, sometimes not leaving until close to noon. We get visitors from next door all the time. I think we should get ourselves a Jethro to greet them at the door. Howdy, yur kin. Look'in for Uncle Jed? U's fix'in to see this fine truck'm'up operation? Sit a spell while I go find some body!!! :biglaugh:

Although you know hugnlug a lot of us were looking for UPS to come into our old Overnite operation.
To trim the fat out of the system.
Only thing though I think we all wanted them to start at the top,than work their way down.
We were not expecting them to start with us,and work their way up.

But all of us long timers here know full well that our operation could be run a whole lot better.
Something has always had to be done.
Other companies have operated a lot better than us.
Theres union LTL companies that are getting more business.
With their higher operating expences paying their workers with the good Teamster contract.
When the quarterly numbers are anounced publicly,they are still showing a profit.

So I'm going back to my brother Skeeters old saying,TIME WILL TELL,looks like we are all a long for the ride.
Do your best,like always if this is what you've already been doing,and don't worry about it.

But the goof-off's in our company better shape up,or I can see they will be shipping out!

What more can I say?
I think I've said enough!!

Why are we treated like this hmmmmmmm

My TM told us starting today we only have 20 minutes to hit the clock get our DR's,put our hand carts,and pallet jacks on our trailers.
Warm up our tractors,build up the air pressure.
Hook to our route trailers,pull out of the dock,and pretrip.
Than record our milage on our DIADS,punch in enroute to our first stop,and get out of our yard.
Thats a mighty tall order to say the least.
After we return to our terminal and back into our route dock.
We record our ending milage,than we've only got 10 minutes to drop,our trailers,and put them away,than plug in the block heater cord.
Hand in our DR's,and pickups,than clock out.
I ran 1 minute over tonight,my outbound supervisor said don't let that happen again or I'll get written up.

Don't ask me whats brought this on?

They talk the talk for safety,than don't give us enough time to do everything?

I've got one questions,wheres the ponies,and the wagon wheel,namely the brand for the Teamsters?

HOLY CATS what in the world did us city drivers do to deserve this kind of treatment?

Oh yeah your right thats two questions.

Ths will continue like this untill they cause a city driver to get seriously hurt because of the new push push attitude. See Mckenzie wants to keep his job they tell him what to do then he does it. Well trying to do a time study on a freight driver is like trying to hold a tiger with a piece of thread it wont work.Push push comes to dollars lost from the bottom line in injuries etc.Drivers trying to do a great job but infact they are missing saftey issues in the hury hurry pace. Oh well they all are triyng to cut AND I QUOTE FROM OUR TM(NON PRODUCTIVE TIME).well lets see what they have to say when all this eventually starts becoming a liability instead of a HURRY UP DRIVER HIT THE STREETS! well this may be we never hurried that driver he hit that car load of kids because he was always in a hurry get my drift?

Ths will continue like this untill they cause a city driver to get seriously hurt because of the new push push attitude. See Mckenzie wants to keep his job they tell him what to do then he does it. Well trying to do a time study on a freight driver is like trying to hold a tiger with a piece of thread it wont work.Push push comes to dollars lost from the bottom line in injuries etc.Drivers trying to do a great job but infact they are missing saftey issues in the hury hurry pace. Oh well they all are triyng to cut AND I QUOTE FROM OUR TM(NON PRODUCTIVE TIME).well lets see what they have to say when all this eventually starts becoming a liability instead of a HURRY UP DRIVER HIT THE STREETS! well this may be we never hurried that driver he hit that car load of kids because he was always in a hurry get my drift?

And with the push and hurry will come accidents and Injury. And the bottom line will be, It was your fault. Period!!!

My TM told us starting today we only have 20 minutes to hit the clock get our DR's,put our hand carts,and pallet jacks on our trailers.
Warm up our tractors,build up the air pressure.
Hook to our route trailers,pull out of the dock,and pretrip.
Than record our milage on our DIADS,punch in enroute to our first stop,and get out of our yard.
Thats a mighty tall order to say the least.
After we return to our terminal and back into our route dock.
We record our ending milage,than we've only got 10 minutes to drop,our trailers,and put them away,than plug in the block heater cord.
Hand in our DR's,and pickups,than clock out.
I ran 1 minute over tonight,my outbound supervisor said don't let that happen again or I'll get written up.

Don't ask me whats brought this on?

They talk the talk for safety,than don't give us enough time to do everything?

I've got one questions,wheres the ponies,and the wagon wheel,namely the brand for the Teamsters?

HOLY CATS what in the world did us city drivers do to deserve this kind of treatment?

Oh yeah your right thats two questions.

APO FXF tells us this every day and it is almost imposable . I would like to leave the yard knowing I have everything and feeling safe about taking the unit on to the road knowing everything is right.

How come they don't watch for lag time with the road drivers. Heck, there is a bunch of us just sitting around for hours on end waiting for freight. OH, thats right, they don't pay us anything to sit around so they are not concerned.:nutkick:

DITTO: Bring on the horses.:funky:

Guys I don't belong here so I'll not comment except does'nt the DOT require a post trip inspection? If you are in trouble for not doing what the DOT requires it would fall under the STAA(whistle blowers act). I'm not a lawyer so ask other opinions:1036316054:

Guys I don't belong here so I'll not comment except does'nt the DOT require a post trip inspection? If you are in trouble for not doing what the DOT requires it would fall under the STAA(whistle blowers act). I'm not a lawyer so ask other opinions:1036316054:

I guess it depends on where you are. If you are in a terminal that has a check bay where the fuelers post trip the equipment...no, we are not required to show a post trip...

but at terminals that don't, I guess we should.
I never show one.

Basically it boils down to:
If you want to use up your hours, you show on duty whenever you can....and if you want to make money, you go off duty whenever you can, which is what I do.

:1036316054:
I guess it depends on where you are. If you are in a terminal that has a check bay where the fuelers post trip the equipment...no, we are not required to show a post trip...

but at terminals that don't, I guess we should.
I never show one.

Basically it boils down to:
If you want to use up your hours, you show on duty whenever you can....and if you want to make money, you go off duty whenever you can, which is what I do.

That is what I do also. Until instructed otherwise I have always done it and always will. I am here to make money and do it the fastest and best way to have my home time.

After all when I get home is when my life starts.

You are always welcome here, it's my second home.

Feel free to post your comments, complaints or suggestions.....................just follow the rules:smilie_132:

The time restraints that UPS has given us city drivers,we just don't have enough time to do any post trip inspections.
I bearly have time to pre trip with all I have to do to get going out of my terminal for the first delivery.

Think about it 20 minutes from clocking in,to being enroute to your first stop.
I've got to start,warm up,and build up the air pressure on my tractor.
But before I go outside to do that I've got to go over my DR's to see that they are routed right.
Go to the dock,and put my equipment on the trailer.
Look the load over to make sure its going to ride a long without falling.
Pull the dock plate,close the trailer door,than the dock door.
Than its out to get my tractor.
I hook up,pull ahead for a quick pre-trip,than hit the street.

When I called safety I told them this time alottment was geared more for the package cars.
They agreed with me,but said they can't do anything because this is coming from UPS.

Dare I say the rail road tryed running us their way,and didn't know anything about freight.
Here we go again UPS knows everything about parcel,but are just getting used to freight.

Well for what its worth I sure hope UPS does better than Union Pacific did with us.

The time restraints that UPS has given us city drivers,we just don't have enough time to do any post trip inspections.
I bearly have time to pre trip with all I have to do to get going out of my terminal for the first delivery.

Think about it 20 minutes from clocking in,to being enroute to your first stop.
I've got to start,warm up,and build up the air pressure on my tractor.
But before I go outside to do that I've got to go over my DR's to see that they are routed right.
Go to the dock,and put my equipment on the trailer.
Look the load over to make sure its going to ride a long without falling.
Pull the dock plate,close the trailer door,than the dock door.
Than its out to get my tractor.
I hook up,pull ahead for a quick pre-trip,than hit the street.

When I called safety I told them this time alottment was geared more for the package cars.
They agreed with me,but said they can't do anything because this is coming from UPS.

Dare I say the rail road tryed running us their way,and didn't know anything about freight.
Here we go again UPS knows everything about parcel,but are just getting used to freight.

Well for what its worth I sure hope UPS does better than Union Pacific did with us.
Apo just so you don't feel like the last indian Roadway had a thing called "out the gate in 8". Some guys would check oil clean mirrors and bump tires then fire her up go in and hit clock. I just ignored them went about my business and did what the law tells us to do. Still employed-go figure. Ya I was young enough that I was still employable and had a card in my pocket so I can't relate to your lot in life. My original comment about post trips was misunderstood I think. It was'nt about saving time for bigger paycheck it was about doing what the law says, which I still think is for a DRIVER to post trip his vehicle. Not sure how you'll can do that in 10 minutes with the other duties. I think the best thing that could happen is for the DOT to hear about this, see what their take is on it. :police: Looks like you guys may be in for a rough ride for awhile :hide: Hope it gets better, hang tough

Been reading all the post about UPS cracking the whip. Its the same here at Estes. They want us out the gate A half hour after hitting the clock and off the clock 20 minutes after hitting the gate in the evening. Our only saving grace for now is that our terminals computer system isn't complete and we manually put in when we leave and return.
They also started a new system for lunch, must take your lunch at the latest between your 5th and 6th hour. If you work five hours after the end of your first break, you must take a second or fill out a waiver form, otherwise you will be docked for a half hour. If we work one minute over 12 hours a second break is mandatory, you're docked regardless.
From reading the posts on other company boards, this appears to be the wave of the future, industry wide, NUMBERS,NUMBERS,NUMBERS.

Apo just so you don't feel like the last indian Roadway had a thing called "out the gate in 8". Some guys would check oil clean mirrors and bump tires then fire her up go in and hit clock. I just ignored them went about my business and did what the law tells us to do. Still employed-go figure. Ya I was young enough that I was still employable and had a card in my pocket so I can't relate to your lot in life. My original comment about post trips was misunderstood I think. It was'nt about saving time for bigger paycheck it was about doing what the law says, which I still think is for a DRIVER to post trip his vehicle. Not sure how you'll can do that in 10 minutes with the other duties. I think the best thing that could happen is for the DOT to hear about this, see what their take is on it. :police: Looks like you guys may be in for a rough ride for awhile :hide: Hope it gets better, hang tough

Well hopefully most of this stuff will be part of our contract, hopefully debated and put into wrighting.

If it takes me 15 minutes to pretrip and I am not saying it does, I do not care what anyone thinks, I will take 15 minutes, I am allowed this by law.

Most of the problems we face with employer's today is no one has the cahoonas to challenge companies.

This is truely **** poor. That we will escape who we are because we get paid well with good bennies, then when the $hit hit's the fan, we try too pass the buck, because most big business does. Unfortunatly it is alway's the small man that get's hurt just trying too make the jerk in the corner happy, but what most do not realize is he has a family too support too, and does'nt give a damn about anybody when push comes too shove.....

I will shovel $hit instaed of skipping the step's because someones #'s do not look rite.....