TForce | UPS-Linehaul

SteelCurtain

TB Lurker
Credits
How hard is it to become a linehaul driver for UPS? What's the payscale like? I noticed there are jobs near Reading, PA. Anyone know how long it takes to get a run?

This is the position I am talking about. Can someone shed some light on this job. I am curious as too the pay, hours(how long till getting a run), things like that.

UPS is hiring individuals to work as full-time Tractor-Trailer Drivers. This position involves driving a tractor-trailer unit to one or more destinations and then returning to the original domicile during the same work shift. Some work is performed outdoors.
Tractor-Trailer Drivers typically work weekdays (Monday through Friday) and are required to meet driver appearance standards. UPS Tractor-Trailer Drivers usually begin work in the evening and finish the following morning.

Applicants must pass a DOT physical and drug test and successfully pass a UPS road test. Qualified applicants must have a valid commercial driver’s license issued by this state. Tractor-Trailer Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform. UPS also requires a copy of your motor vehicle record driver abstract that has been issued within the past 30 days.

How hard is it to become a linehaul driver for UPS? What's the payscale like? I noticed there are jobs near Reading, PA. Anyone know how long it takes to get a run?

Well if that is the job they are offering then thats what you would be doing.... nowadays you start the road right away (this used to not be the case).
I'm not sure the pay start, i think its low 40 cent range (top is 55 cents, after 3 yrs).

If you start, you would be at the bottom of the road board. This usually falls to xtra board drivers and/or fill-ins or,almost forgot, get put on a sleeper run. There would be no guarantee that you would run evernight/day.

hope this answers some ????'s
others will have more input too!!!!!

good luck if you come aboard.

togdenjr, has explained it pretty well. There is no way for any of us to tell how long it would take you to get a line run out of the terminal you are talking about. If they are hiring you for that position, it would be right away. Normally employee's within would have first shot a road run according to seniority. But if know one wants the position and they hire out side, consider your self lucky. Most line runs are during the night, 8, 9, 10 oclock pm schedule start times. Your run could take you any where between 8-10 hours per night depending on where you run to or depending on your run being an extra board where you could go any where within your hours of service per night. If its a schedule run you would have for the most part the same routine every night. You need to speak with the Terminal Manager out of the terminal that the road run is being hired for. Find out all that you want to know. Good Luck!!

This is the position I am talking about. Can someone shed some light on this job. I am curious as too the pay, hours(how long till getting a run), things like that.

UPS is hiring individuals to work as full-time Tractor-Trailer Drivers. This position involves driving a tractor-trailer unit to one or more destinations and then returning to the original domicile during the same work shift. Some work is performed outdoors.
Tractor-Trailer Drivers typically work weekdays (Monday through Friday) and are required to meet driver appearance standards. UPS Tractor-Trailer Drivers usually begin work in the evening and finish the following morning.

Applicants must pass a DOT physical and drug test and successfully pass a UPS road test. Qualified applicants must have a valid commercial driver’s license issued by this state. Tractor-Trailer Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform. UPS also requires a copy of your motor vehicle record driver abstract that has been issued within the past 30 days.

The position you have posted here is a feeder driver for UPS. They dont usually hire from the outside, except for casual or part time. We work for UPS Freight. Which one were you looking for?

i personally filled out an application for UPS Freight. i have even went for my road test at one of the terminals, and was given the forms for a physical, which i haven't had yet because i don't have spare money to get one right now. and i was also given the company rule book as well. after reading all the stuff in the various threads about UPS Freight, i might be better off not getting on board with them, and wait till something better comes along. too bad too, i got 19 years experience they will lose.

i personally filled out an application for UPS Freight. i have even went for my road test at one of the terminals, and was given the forms for a physical, which i haven't had yet because i don't have spare money to get one right now. and i was also given the company rule book as well. after reading all the stuff in the various threads about UPS Freight, i might be better off not getting on board with them, and wait till something better comes along. too bad too, i got 19 years experience they will lose.

You might check at our location they are set up with a clinic that only charges us 20 for our dot good luck

Pro1Driver,
They're not conserned with that. I had 22 years of safe driving for different LTL carriers. (4.5 years with (UPSF/Big O) The less experience and the less you know is what they want.:duh:

They terminated me because I stood up for myself on an equipment malfunction and a ticket for unsafe equipment I got from a trooper in IL. I had a dolly's 5th wheel linkage come apart on the road (15 miles away from my yard.) Needless to say I lost the rear box. The release handle broke and there was nothing there to hold the jaws closed on the 5th wheel. Even after all this happened, I was lucky. The pup came off in front of a trooper and luckly no one was around me. No damage of any kind occurred. Glad hands, light cord unplugged, not even a flat spot on the tires. I dropped my front box and dolly and recovered my rear trailer in all of 12 minutes. I had everything off to the side of the road on an off ramp near the scene.

My central dispatch determined if there was no accident that happened or damage that they would send me out another dolly to complete my trip if I was up to it. I said OK.

Later I find out the shop re-built the 5th wheel that night and when it was investigated all the worn out and broken parts were gone. Just a great place to work for.

A month passed, now they want to charge me for an accident. I said for what??!! What loyalty they showed toward me. That's when I said enough.:smilie_132:

Anyway to end this long drawn out story, they didn't follow their own accident procedure.:Rulz: (If it was an accident). I was never drug tested or put out of service, this whole thing was treated as a breakdown that night.
The morale of this story is you dodged a big bullet, even machine gun fire by not getting a job there.
You have to wear a bullet proof vest there instead of lime green one. It has to be knife proof too.
I wish all remaining UPSF people the best.

A lot of good people have lost their jobs since this buy-out. Seems like the 100%ers are the targets. New hires don't cost as much to do the job. I hope it isn't a new trend starting up.:hide:

ou dodged a big bullet, even machine gun fire by not getting a job there.
You have to wear a bullet proof vest there instead of lime green one. It has to be knife proof too.

i think maybe you "might have" misunderstood me.

i was given an interview, and at the interview i was given the rule book and the drivers manual(?), along with a photo copy of a DOT physical form. about 2 weeks past that, i was given a road test with pups, which of course i passed.

i haven't gotten the DOT physical yet because i simply cannot afford the cost of this right now, in fact, most companies just send you to thier doctor. i wasn't given the DOT drug screen because that's good for only 30 days(?) i was told.

you see, i wasn't actually offered a job, yet, because no jobs for road drivers are available at that location. so my thinking is, why should i spend my money for a DOT physical if i don't have a solid job offer...?? what if a job offer never comes my way, i just kiss goodbye my money for a physical...??

now, from what i have BEEN READING HERE, it seems that UPSF is just as bad as any other place to work for. i am disappointed in this. i would have actually thought that UPSF would be a great place to work at, but then again, i do have a few loose screws that need to be tightened up in my brains.

i still will call the UPSF guy that interviewd me telling him i passed the driving test (although he should know by now), and i'll see if he can get me into a company doctor instead. my current job sucks big time, and i want to get back on the road, as a linehaul driver, not city..........

maybe i'll check into Central Transport, if i can't get anywhere with the UPSF rep.

i think maybe you "might have" misunderstood me.

i was given an interview, and at the interview i was given the rule book and the drivers manual(?), along with a photo copy of a DOT physical form. about 2 weeks past that, i was given a road test with pups, which of course i passed.

i haven't gotten the DOT physical yet because i simply cannot afford the cost of this right now, in fact, most companies just send you to thier doctor. i wasn't given the DOT drug screen because that's good for only 30 days(?) i was told.

you see, i wasn't actually offered a job, yet, because no jobs for road drivers are available at that location. so my thinking is, why should i spend my money for a DOT physical if i don't have a solid job offer...?? what if a job offer never comes my way, i just kiss goodbye my money for a physical...??

now, from what i have BEEN READING HERE, it seems that UPSF is just as bad as any other place to work for. i am disappointed in this. i would have actually thought that UPSF would be a great place to work at, but then again, i do have a few loose screws that need to be tightened up in my brains.

i still will call the UPSF guy that interviewd me telling him i passed the driving test (although he should know by now), and i'll see if he can get me into a company doctor instead. my current job sucks big time, and i want to get back on the road, as a linehaul driver, not city..........

maybe i'll check into Central Transport, if i can't get anywhere with the UPSF rep.
I know what you're saying, but the key is there are no openings for road right now.
That's the bullet I'm talking about, but who knows, maybe other terminals are better with drivers than SOH, IL.:1036316054:

i applied for the posistion and they must have filled the reading one because they called me askin to be casual at harrisburg i turned them down and no its not for ups freight its for feeder drivers which get paid by hour not mile i heard its from 24 to 26 dollars an hours not sure what a newbie gets.

I think if upsf was even thinking about hiring me i would go sale blood, donate a kidney or something to get the $$$ for a physical. I have to work for a half rate ltl line. This is a big chance you have. DONT BLOW IT:chairshot:

I think if upsf was even thinking about hiring me i would go sale blood, donate a kidney or something to get the $$$ for a physical. I have to work for a half rate ltl line. This is a big chance you have. DONT BLOW IT:chairshot:

yes, but UPS is a different operation than UPS Freight (UPSF). UPS Freight to the best of my knowledge is still non-union, and was formerly known as "Overnite", and from what i have been reading here in the past few days/weeks, is that UPS Freight (UPSF) isn't worth selling one's soul for..........or any other body cavity that holds a vital organ...........

yes, UPS i would probably sell one of your body parts so that i can get hired, because i need all of mine......:hysterical:

Some citys have out paticent clinics that give D.O.T. physicals at a lower cost then a regular General Practise Doctor.

I know a place around my town that does what the D.O.T. requires for around $70.00.

Come to harrisburg P.A. They cant fill the positions!