TForce | UPS-Linehaul

I am also hearing alot of drivers complaining about paying out of there own pocket for the home land security back ground check. From what I understand it has been taking months to get your money back from the company.

Whats a homeland security check?
Is this something just for the new hires?
I don't recall hearing anything about everyone having to get this done?

Maybe us older employees are being grandfathered in,and thats why I don't know anything about.

So for you more knowlegeable posters what are you talking about with this homeland security check?

Maybe us older employees are being grandfathered in,and thats why I don't know anything about.

So for you more knowlegeable posters what are you talking about with this homeland security check?
It is due to the 911 attacks ...Anyone renewing a CDL after a ceretain date must have a background check & fingerprints . You don`t have to get this done until renewal... & the procedure to get this acconmplished varies by state , so beware..I just slipped thru,but will have to have this done in 09..Haven`t been following this too close yet, as procudures & locations are always changing, so when it gets closer I`ll start to ask questions.. Also ,all new hires must have this done prior to employment,I was told? As far as I am aware it cost the driver to have this done ; about $200 .00 plus & (will) be reimbursed by the company? I heard it takes a long time to actually get the money back from corporate, too..I cannot remeber if this is for all CDL holders or CDL with Hazmat endorcements? P.S. We, UPSF (UPS) will be the place to work ,after all is said and done> Not to forget, we are part of a Fortune 500 Company now and need a lot of internal adjustments to say the least....

It is due to the 911 attacks ...Anyone renewing a CDL after a ceretain date must have a background check & fingerprints . You don`t have to get this done until renewal... & the procedure to get this acconmplished varies by state , so beware..I just slipped thru,but will have to have this done in 09..Haven`t been following this too close yet, as procudures & locations are always changing, so when it gets closer I`ll start to ask questions.. Also ,all new hires must have this done prior to employment,I was told? As far as I am aware it cost the driver to have this done ; about $200 .00 plus & (will) be reimbursed by the company? I heard it takes a long time to actually get the money back from corporate, too..I cannot remeber if this is for all CDL holders or CDL with Hazmat endorcements? P.S. We, UPSF (UPS) will be the place to work ,after all is said and done> Not to forget, we are part of a Fortune 500 Company now and need a lot of internal adjustments to say the least....

it only costs just "under" $100, not $200.....and every time we renew our HAZMAT endorsement, we pay for it, but if we drop the hazmat endorsement, we don't need this background check.

it should be a "one time deal", but no, leave it up to our wonderful elected officials to squeeze more money out of us.

http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Reports/2007/Feb07/SR%2002-21-07%20carnahan%20bill%20by%20JJ.htm

So your saying anybody renewing their CDL/with the HAZ-MAT indorcesment has to go through this,and fork over some of our own money?
Why can't we be grandfathered into something like this?

For me I've already been driving a commercial vehicle for a living going on 45 years.
So now when my license comes up for renewal,I've got to go through a back ground check,with finger printing?

Wow what a crock,of balony,all of these years being a trucker in America,now when my license needs to be renewed they don't trust me?
Say whats wrong with this picture?
Its got to be a government generated money issue.
It costs money to have a CDL,then we've got to pay to take,another haz-mat test,to renew our HAZ-mat.

Now its a back ground check?

YUP I see this as one more way of squeezing more money out of us poor working stiffs.

So your saying anybody renewing their CDL/with the HAZ-MAT indorcesment has to go through this,and fork over some of our own money?

For me I've already been driving a commercial vehicle for a living going on 45 years.
So now when my license comes up for renewal,I've got to go through a back ground check,with finger printing?

Wow what a crock,of balony,all of these years being a trucker in America,now when my license needs to be renewed they don't trust me?
It costs money to have a CDL,then we've got to pay to take,another haz-mat test,to renew our HAZ-mat.

YUP I see this as one more way of squeezing more money out of us poor working stiffs.

Ap, I feel sorry for the lady at the DMV that asks you for this money, boy, is she going to be sorry!

Better watch what you say Apo. The government is watching.... they will see these postings and make you a threat to the USA and you will be rejected....LOL:biglaugh: :chairshot:

I too think its a crock, but what can you do?
I got mine when i moved and it look like it lasts 5 yrs... it even expires before my license does.

I am in the same boat as you. Just slipped by and won't have to have this done until 09. But after watching other drivers go through this BEWARE don't wait until the last minute to get this done. If the finger printing and background check are not done you will not get your cdl license renewed. I have seen drivers get cought up in this mess and then had to go through the hassle of getting an extension so that they would not have an expired cdl. To be safe, check with your state DMV long before your renewal is due.

I am in the same boat as you. Just slipped by and won't have to have this done until 09. But after watching other drivers go through this BEWARE don't wait until the last minute to get this done. If the finger printing and background check are not done you will not get your cdl license renewed. I have seen drivers get cought up in this mess and then had to go through the hassle of getting an extension so that they would not have an expired cdl. To be safe, check with your state DMV long before your renewal is due.
I`ll begin to inquire after the first of the year. Been told that you can get this done 6 months prior to renewal date!! I don`t want any delays to occur , though have been told that it is geting easier to go thru the process........

I`ll begin to inquire after the first of the year. Been told that you can get this done 6 months prior to renewal date!! I don`t want any delays to occur , though have been told that it is geting easier to go thru the process........

I recd. my background/fingerprinting letter in the mail about 8 months before my license expires. It took 3 trips to the state police (fingerprint machine was down). I recd. a letter within a week announcing I was not a threat to the United States. Wow that made me feel very special. I am now awaiting my CDL renewal form as my license expires in November. I agree....don't wait around to have this done.

I recd. my background/fingerprinting letter in the mail about 8 months before my license expires. It took 3 trips to the state police (fingerprint machine was down). I recd. a letter within a week announcing I was not a threat to the United States. Wow that made me feel very special. I am now awaiting my CDL renewal form as my license expires in November. I agree....don't wait around to have this done.

Is it in most cases that you get this backround check and finger printing done at a different place other than the DMV?

Wow APO, I would think that being on this saftey board that they would have atleast had some information on this. This is for anyone with a cdl license. New or old. You must pay your dues. The company also came out with a letter a few years back that you had to sign if you wanted to be a part of homeland security. In other words you could be the eye's for the government. If you saw something out on the roads that could be a threat to this country you would have the obligation to contact someone from homeland security. I have forgotton most of the details. But I do remember not getting involved because you could become a witness and all time lost out of work would not be paid the amount that you normally make. If I see a threat I will just call 911

Is it in most cases that you get this backround check and finger printing done at a different place other than the DMV?

You get fingerprinted. Whoever does the back ground does it off the prints. Or that is the way I understand it. All a driver needs to do is the old hazmat test we always had to do, plus the fingerprinting. $58 in PA.

Are you saying that DMV sent you an invitation for a background check??

The Homeland security was introduced to all the Overnite terminals and the company was looking for volunteers to sign up for the program.
Everyone at our terminal wanted to take a pass on it.

This was before I was a safety trainer.
UPS brought about the safety trainers,not Overnite.
Well the interest wasn't good enough,so after a few months Overnite automaticly signed us all up for it.
We got a sticker for all of our tractors,and a thin book with instructions,and some 800 numbers.

I don't remember if we were told about this back ground check?
I may of been off the day it was brought up?

Say how far back do they check on you anyways?

Before I became an Apostolic Pentecostal Born Again Christian,I used to have a very wicked temper which got me in some real jams,back in the day.

Its never caught up to me in any of my applications.
But this is the feds checking up on our records now.

I just checked my CDL,and I see its not due for renewal till 2011,so I'm sure I'll be retired by then.
So no sweat,I'm good to go.

The Homeland security was introduced to all the Overnite terminals and the company was looking for volunteers to sign up for the program.
Everyone at our terminal wanted to take a pass on it.

This was before I was a safety trainer.
UPS brought about the safety trainers,not Overnite.
Well the interest wasn't good enough,so after a few months Overnite automaticly signed us all up for it.
We got a sticker for all of our tractors,and a thin book with instructions,and some 800 numbers.

I don't remember if we were told about this back ground check?
I may of been off the day it was brought up?

Say how far back do they check on you anyways?

Before I became an Apostolic Pentecostal Born Again Christian,I used to have a very wicked temper which got me in some real jams,back in the day.

Its never caught up to me in any of my applications.
But this is the feds checking up on our records now.

I just checked my CDL,and I see its not due for renewal till 2011,so I'm sure I'll be retired by then.
So no sweat,I'm good to go.

That might be the Highway Watch. I think everyone was approached for this

Yup your right steve5.
I guess I wasn't paying very good attention to this?

Your right its the highway watch program.

My,my theres to many programs around these days its hard to keep up with all of them?