Holland | UPS Package is hiring

Union road drivers have a guaranteed minimum but I don't know what it is. Non-union I think are pretty well assured that they'll get paid for what miles they drive.

Every day you get put to work, you are guaranteed 8 hours pay. Hitting a "mini" can be like hitting on the lottery, with the layover pay on the next day.

Buffalo bill you have a point but it's getting to the point here (mile for mile) that we have to run a considerable amount of miles more than the competition to make more. A 52 cent man needs 2885 miles to gross $1500. A 60 cent man needs 2500 miles to gross $1500. We have to run 385 more miles than 75% of other freight haulers to make the same thing in a slower, ragged out antique. Yea you got your clock time on the board and it's a nice perk but let's say you're on a bid and don't get clock time? I have many friends who are on with non union freight companies and their insurance is not as astronomical as some would leave you to believe. Plus they have a 401k match instead of this deadbeat pension plan.

Buffalo bill you have a point but it's getting to the point here (mile for mile) that we have to run a considerable amount of miles more than the competition to make more. A 52 cent man needs 2885 miles to gross $1500. A 60 cent man needs 2500 miles to gross $1500. We have to run 385 more miles than 75% of other freight haulers to make the same thing in a slower, ragged out antique. Yea you got your clock time on the board and it's a nice perk but let's say you're on a bid and don't get clock time? I have many friends who are on with non union freight companies and their insurance is not as astronomical as some would leave you to believe. Plus they have a 401k match instead of this deadbeat pension plan.

How many greivances have you won at the other carriers? What does a runaround get you at pyle? Let me guess, if you say the term "runaround", you get put on a short list to be shown the door, right?

How many greivances have you won at the other carriers?
Other carriers have a grievance type of committee where they settle their disputes. I also have to throw this in. How many grievances have been filed and were NEVER settled, and how many grievances were filed and OVER a year later, they finally went to a hearing......where the Union caved in? Lots of them is the answer. I saw it with my own two eyes. Maybe you haven't been there long enough to witness it, but that doesn't change history.

What does a runaround get you at pyle? Let me guess, if you say the term "runaround", you get put on a short list to be shown the door, right?
You seem to have this misconception that the nons just show you the door if you look cross-eyed at them, which simply isn't true. They have a driver shortage also, so they aren't stupid enough to just kick everyone to the curb for any little reason. Plus, if the nons just do their job, why would they get shown the door?

Just sayin'.....
:coffee1:

Other carriers have a grievance type of committee where they settle their disputes. I also have to throw this in. How many grievances have been filed and were NEVER settled, and how many grievances were filed and OVER a year later, they finally went to a hearing......where the Union caved in? Lots of them is the answer. I saw it with my own two eyes. Maybe you haven't been there long enough to witness it, but that doesn't change history.

You seem to have this misconception that the nons just show you the door if you look cross-eyed at them, which simply isn't true. They have a driver shortage also, so they aren't stupid enough to just kick everyone to the curb for any little reason. Plus, if the nons just do their job, why would they get shown the door?

Just sayin'.....
:coffee1:
True but a persistent big mouth like myself would get shown the door pretty quickly.

Btdt, my personal threshold for biting my tongue was 4 months, then they axed our bennies and we had an organizing drive.

Imo, to most of these companies, the shortage doesnt matter, they still want you under their thumb....

Btdt, my personal threshold for biting my tongue was 4 months, then they axed our bennies and we had an organizing drive.

Imo, to most of these companies, the shortage doesnt matter, they still want you under their thumb....

We've hired over 20 city in the last year and a half,...all from other non Union LTL.
If they were better jobs it would be the other way around.I'll bet 99% of the people who have left Holland, went to another union job.
I will say the gap has closed considerably,and I myself have considered Fed Ex.I think they are the best non Union LTL out there.

We've hired over 20 city in the last year and a half,...all from other non Union LTL.
From what I hear, it's the same at the nons. Most of their drivers are coming from the Union companies. I know of several examples.

I'll bet 99% of the people who have left Holland, went to another union job.
I'd like to agree, and I wish that your were correct, but that's not the case. The Union companies have hired very few drivers compared to the non union companies. So there are very few openings at union carriers. And the nons are the ones that are growing and getting the former union drivers.

I will say the gap has closed considerably,and I myself have considered Fed Ex.I think they are the best non Union LTL out there.
None of them are perfect, but I would think that Fed Ex ranks among the top.

From what I hear, it's the same at the nons. Most of their drivers are coming from the Union companies. I know of several examples.

I'd like to agree, and I wish that your were correct, but that's not the case. The Union companies have hired very few drivers compared to the non union companies. So there are very few openings at union carriers. And the nons are the ones that are growing and getting the former union drivers.

None of them are perfect, but I would think that Fed Ex ranks among the top.

I guess I can only speak for Atlanta city drivers,only one has left for a non (fed ex),it saved him 45 minutes on his commute.Other than that app.25 nons have came here in the last year and a half.

Last edited:
Im not sure, so ill take the sure bet with a contract. How many times you have a jr man work more than you and the only thing you can do is cry into your wine cooler in the trailerpark?

Im not sure, so ill take the sure bet with a contract. How many times you have a jr man work more than you and the only thing you can do is cry into your wine cooler in the trailerpark?

I don't know, I don't worry about what everybody else is doing. I'm too busy working.

I don't drink wine coolers, I stick to beer. And remember, if you mess with me you're messing with the whole trailer park so...

So if I go to be a buster brown in Oshkosh I am going to get less than 400 miles a night at 41 cents a mile for the first year? I won't be able to make it to the third year without going bankrupt. That is if I don't get fired the first year for stepping accross a yellow line or something and I will cancel all my vacation plans.