TForce | UPSF trailers at UPS??

Apostolic said:
My TM decided to send 2 of them on through the system,and kept one to drive around our area for our customers to get used to the new look.

We also have a few Motor Cargos up here.
I dropped an empyt MC pups in the yard next to one of the new UPS brand pups.
The landing legs are pretty close on both trailers.

So why in the world is UPS Freight the last hold outs in LTL with those strupid (NOSE POLES?)

I'm telling you sometimes UPS Freight is penny wise,and dollar foolish.

This maybe an old saying for you young-ins?
Because the penny has very little value these days.

But in other words they spend there money buying new pups with these poles,when they can clearly see all the old MC pups don't need them.

Oh well I guess I'll just have to keep my crow bar,and big hammer in my asigned city tractor,to keep dealling with these useless poles,when the yard switchers start bending them.

Oh what the hey I get paid by the hour.
I wonder if most MC terminals have the pup poles attached to the building above the doors so that the trailer cannot nose dive. This could be the reason why MC pups do not have nose poles. Most of "O" terminals do not have poles above the doors unless it is a fairly new terminal.

This would be a steel beam or pole that runs the entire length of the dock over the doors to prevent the trailer from nose diving while being loaded and would not need nose poles on the trailer or would not need to use them.

big steve said:
i work next to upsf and just today saw something interesting
a ups 48' (parcel) in the yard
whats up with that

Hope somebody is finding out what was up with that. Doesnt sound right.

Nip it now. I went through the Spartan, Viking, RPS, Roberts Express days at Roadway. We gave freight away to them daily, our freight, from our dock.:chairshot: DS.

I think it has to do with how far back the landing gear legs are set and the king pin setting as it relates to 3 axle tractors. This is just guess work on my part, but I seem to remember a side by side look a one with and one without. The one with the nose-leg had landing gear set back more than the pup without the nose-leg.

Jimmy B

big steve said:
i work next to upsf and just today saw something interesting
a ups 48' (parcel) in the yard
whats up with that
Was this a trailer with all the side roll up doors or just one rear door? Alot of newly painted and brand new 48' upsf city trailers are coming in now. And they look the same as a ups trailer. If it did not say UPSF FREIGHT along the rear sides of the trailer it could easily pass as a ups parcel trailer.

BusterNite said:
Was this a trailer with all the side roll up doors or just one rear door? Alot of newly painted and brand new 48' upsf city trailers are coming in now. And they look the same as a ups trailer. If it did not say UPSF FREIGHT along the rear sides of the trailer it could easily pass as a ups parcel trailer.
Hey BusterNite, Are they painting up the old city vans where you are now or is just all new equipment?

Ive only seen new equipment also.
Now Menlo (UPSC) has painted all there trailers the traditional UPS gray and slapped the shield on the side. They could be easily misstaken for a parcel trailer if ya didnt know better.

Atl dispatch sent drivers yesterday to pick up 6 UPSF trailers for UPS on Fulton Industrial. Its cheaper to let UPS move them, then it is to pay private contractors to move them.

BusterNite said:
I heard that they started painting smooth wall trailers, But have not seen one.

Richmond came and got one of our city trailers three weeks ago we just got it back this week it was 49000 series trailer. They did a nice job. They painted it gray, UPS shield and UPS Freight on the sides and painted the rims black with the silver stripe around the edge of the rim. But what really impressed me the most was that they refurbushed the inside and added extra "D" rings.:bgroovy: :icon_dance: :d6625240: :bouncy:

ex-dugancity said:
Atl dispatch sent drivers yesterday to pick up 6 UPSF trailers for UPS on Fulton Industrial. Its cheaper to let UPS move them, then it is to pay private contractors to move them.
A private contractor brought them in. Seems they shouldve took them on to ya. Anyhow, where they still "new" looking?

gater said:
Richmond came and got one of our city trailers three weeks ago we just got it back this week it was 49000 series trailer. They did a nice job. They painted it gray, UPS shield and UPS Freight on the sides and painted the rims black with the silver stripe around the edge of the rim. But what really impressed me the most was that they refurbushed the inside and added extra "D" rings.:bgroovy: :icon_dance: :d6625240: :bouncy:

Thats great, one down and 20,000 to go!!

steve5 said:
When I first started most of what we ran were 3 axle coe sleepers, and we never put nose stands or (at least I've never seen) a pup with a nose pole at MC.

Why did ovnt have them? Did you guys have a problem with nose tipping?

They are pretty much the same as far as placement from nose to landing gear.

I don't have a problem with putting them down or up so far, but with what you said about the crow bar and hammer, I'm not looking forward to that.
If you look at some of the 1900 series MC trailers they had nose poles for Pepperidge Farms...The landing gear and pins are different also...Like 1900 to 1940 or something like that.....God I have been doing this to long.....

Apostolic said:
My TM decided to send 2 of them on through the system,and kept one to drive around our area for our customers to get used to the new look.

We also have a few Motor Cargos up here.
I dropped an empyt MC pups in the yard next to one of the new UPS brand pups.
The landing legs are pretty close on both trailers.

So why in the world is UPS Freight the last hold outs in LTL with those strupid (NOSE POLES?)

I'm telling you sometimes UPS Freight is penny wise,and dollar foolish.

This maybe an old saying for you young-ins?
Because the penny has very little value these days.

But in other words they spend there money buying new pups with these poles,when they can clearly see all the old MC pups don't need them.

Oh well I guess I'll just have to keep my crow bar,and big hammer in my asigned city tractor,to keep dealling with these useless poles,when the yard switchers start bending them.

Oh what the hey I get paid by the hour.

Have you ever noticed the big dents/divits in the pavement where the nose pole hits the ground?
I dont think they are from pulling the pin out and letting the pole drop....they are from the nose tipping forward and the pole hitting the ground....which would tell me that the poles are doing their job.

I noticed in KAN they have free standing nose poles under all of the MC pups at the dock.

I would assume in the terminals that don't use free standing nose poles...the dock workers are probably extra cautious when loading/unloading M/C pups.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
Have you ever noticed the big dents/divits in the pavement where the nose pole hits the ground?
I dont think they are from pulling the pin out and letting the pole drop....they are from the nose tipping forward and the pole hitting the ground....which would tell me that the poles are doing their job.

I noticed in KAN they have free standing nose poles under all of the MC pups at the dock.

I would assume in the terminals that don't use free standing nose poles...the dock workers are probably extra cautious when loading/unloading M/C pups.
another solution in Dallas we have a huge pipe up top if the trailer tips the pipe wont allow it to go over saves alot of time messing with the tilt bars