ABF | Urgent Urgent Help

sdallas78

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anybody know or have an excuse or anything i could use?Here is my problem i work for a major ltl carrier and want to work at ABF but am worried at putting in an application to ABF because i know they will need to contact current employer i am worried i could get fired for this i am from texas and it is an at will state so they can fire at will.What could i possibly do or say to my current employer ,if approached?Really want to relocate to south carolina and work for a good union company like ABF,I cant tell them not to contact employer because they have to have training records,drug screens and all that other stuff.Just started working for this company 6 months ago its great here in texas but if i transfer to east coast its wild board and.BUNKHOUSES!I dont mind wild board 5 out 2 in its the bunkhouse thats all jacked up.In a jam and dont no what to do.Any help or advice would be greatly aprreciated.Also,with ABF line are they mostly turns or lay down runs?

Be honest and above board and hope for best. A B F does a BIG time back ground check.

Not worried about background im pretty sure i can get the job,believe me my present job took 2 and half months to get after the background,credit ,drug,address,employment records came back.Also the physchological mini test from my job keeps many from getting on here.I was blessed to have passed.I just dont want to be fired from present empolyer for ABF calling for records i have nothing to hide with any past jobs but you know how some companies act.Dont know how to approach it if my current boss asked me why was ABF calling me ,would prefer to leave on my time knowing i had a job not without one though.

If they spent that much time and digging into your background I doubt they will fire you for an employment history from your current employer. Just because you filled out the app like a month ago doesnt mean your still interested in leaving . We know you are, but your current employer doesnt. I just cannot see them spending all that time and then can you for an interest in another job. People fill out apps all the time.

Job Application

AS best I remember the application has a space to check if you don't want your current employer notified. ABF understands that there are still companies with the old small town Chamber of Commerce mentality that once you work for one company they own you for life & no one else has a right to hire you.
Also I don't think that they can or will get records from your current employer. Look on the application & see if the wording about contacting your current employer is there. Good Luck.

what company are you working for as it is hard to believe that they would be so petty and penalize you for exploring opportunities
i realize that you are working a non union job and the posts you have made should display to other drivers who work for non union companies how much TRUST you/they should place in their company's watching out for your/their benefit
aka rob and estes: as this is a perfect example
yeah you guys don't need unions to protect you
now do you

I had the same problem! I put in my app at ABF and checked the box that said do not contact employer and the lady called me back and told me drivers could not check this box because of the drug test etc. I told her I wanted to work for ABF at all cost but I did not want to be fired for a mybe. She even called there main office and asked them what they could do.They said they had to call. She told me that everything looked good and she seen no reason why I would not get the job.She also said she would make a note to contact them only if they were sure I was going to get the job. Well she called back two weeks later and said my app was rejected. I still dont know if that was the reason!

Well I hope they(ABF) do understand that some employers would and could get bitter if they know an employee is looking to find a differant job. I checked the same box 2 weeks ago, I hope they give me a chance to change it knowing this. I am union so I am not worried about my company being bitter, but they could make my life hell till the day I do leave. Of course, when they do I can file on them too. One happy circle. But at least I have Teamsters backing me and it sure makes me feel alot more secure.

Big Steve i work at Fed Ex I do want to go Union but please spare the representation mess my father worked for the big pumpkin for 40 yes 40 years and told me about plenty of the cutthroat ways,lyin stewards, and plenty of other things that go on, its big business just like corporate america every company or entity when is all settle said and done is about self even teamsters!Im sure you know that.I would prefer Teamsters over non union but it aint no saint by far.Thanks eveybody for comments and suggestions.

sdallas78 said:
Big Steve i work at Fed Ex I do want to go Union but please spare the representation mess my father worked for the big pumpkin for 40 yes 40 years and told me about plenty of the cutthroat ways,lyin stewards, and plenty of other things that go on, its big business just like corporate america every company or entity when is all settle said and done is about self even teamsters!Im sure you know that.I would prefer Teamsters over non union but it aint no saint by far.Thanks eveybody for comments and suggestions.

trying to help and getting the "spare me mess " statement
whats up with that?
next time ask your pop for advice as my 33 years don't match up with his 40
my 33 wasn't as bad an experience as you claim his 40 was
but i bet he likes his pension check though:27:
have a nice day:baby:

I dont see a company firing you for just filing out the application. Even if Texas is an at will state they still cannot wrongfully terminate you.

Its just like the stupid papers FedEx makes you fill out stating you can leave the job at any time without notice and they can release you at any time for no reason. Those letters arent worth the paper they are written on you can wipe your hiney with them. FedEx has learned this the hard way and have paid millions in lawsuits over this.

Just fill out the application and if approached just be honest and tell them you are happy there but are just checking out your options in the event you relocate. You have to look at the best interest for you and your family and your terminal manager would do the same. Good luck to you I hope you get your job at ABF.

Hey Big Steve was tryin to insult you I appreciate your help,its just a tough situation i cant seem to win for losing.I asked my old man he doesnt know he had'nt feeled out an app in decades.He does enjoy his pension,its been cut a few times though.I admire your 33 years i think anyone who can do 20 in this tough industry is an accomplishment.

sdallas78 said:
Hey Big Steve was tryin to insult you I appreciate your help,its just a tough situation i cant seem to win for losing.I asked my old man he doesnt know he had'nt feeled out an app in decades.He does enjoy his pension,its been cut a few times though.I admire your 33 years i think anyone who can do 20 in this tough industry is an accomplishment.
no problem
best thing to do would be to go to abf and speak to the tm
abf gives a drug test themselves so i do not understand why they would contact fed ex for past results
anytime you fail a random test it is reported to the DOT
so if your name does not appear on a DOT failure list then abf would know you are clean
therefore no reason to contact your employer
i know how screwed up abf 's background screening is as i am a job steward and i have to deal with it alot
abf is in dire need of drivers in just about every terminal i have had contact with as we are all working heavy hours
abf needs you so remember that
hope this helps and good luck
let me know how you make out:bye1:

I work for FXF, I have applied elswhere and even got to the point of a road test, decided to stay where I am, may regret it later in life but you have to live with your decisions.

I even spoke with the TM and assistant TM about my work record and told them I was considering going somewhere else, they were very professional about it and said there wasn't anything in my folder to give me concern for my job.

They did ask why I was concerned and I told them I had an opportunity elswhere and if there was anything in my folder to warrant concern I would rather just leave on my own and save them and me a problem down the road, I am still here over 3 yrs later.

Best of luck with the new job.

I do have a question though, what part of FX has bunkhouses?

FM

just fill out the app. be honest. if your current employer fires you for that, then good . get out of there quickly. you don't want to work for anyone that petty. I've done what you are doing myself. worked for a division of RYDER, on a contract with AT&T. i applied with Averitt, wanted to drive better equipment, and shuttle trls back and forth to Atl.Ga. they called to check my current record, my boss thought he was losing me, I got a raise and better equip. and better run. Stayed 2 more years before I got smart and went to freight. ( carolina, then Big "R" )

Honest is always the best policy...if your current employer is the kind of degenerate that will fire you for trying to better yourself, quite frankly he probably doesn't have much to offer in the first place....ask your interviewer to do your current employers employment check last. That is not asking too much.