Holland | USF Companies Enhance Operations with Vettro FieldMaster

HillBilly Frog

TB Veteran
Credits
USF Companies Enhance Operations with Vettro FieldMaster
May 24, 2006 | 11:55 AM

On-Demand Mobile Application Connects Drivers Directly to Enterprise Dispatch Systems via Standard Java Phones.

Vettro, a global leader in on-demand mobile business applications, today announced drivers of USF Bestway, USF Holland and USF Reddaway are using Vettro FieldMaster on Java-enabled handsets to improve fleet operations and enhance customer service. Vettro FieldMaster is available for BlackBerry, Windows Mobile and Java-enabled phones running on all major carriers globally.

read here....

We got them a couple of weeks ago and its basically just a cell phone running a java app.
Its got a fairly large screen, no scanner and still uses nextel for voice. There are a couple of bugs, ie. if you move freight from your trailer to another to get empty so you can do a switch somewhere there is no way to tell the computer that the freight is on another trailer. Just the result of a programmer that didn't fully understand the needs of a freight company. Overall I like the new system much better. No more manifest and today I only talked to the dispatcher for him to tell me to head in to the terminal.

We have had these in North East Pa for about a couple months. They work well when the dispatch and the drivers learn how to use them. What is really nice is when you arrive your self at the terminal; it prints the travel copies in the office. So the dockworkers are basically waiting for you to back the trailer in to work. It helps get the dock started early, not waiting for billing clerks to make travel copies.

Thanks Cfer.
I work for CF for nine years in Erie as a city driver. The only bad thing about these Nextel’s is when you take your breaks; it likes to change the amount of time it allows you to take. We always received fifteen minutes for break, but it will try to trick you into taking a ten-minute one instead. Our steward says to take the fifteen minutes. Other than that it is a good tool, and I hope will keep us ahead of the competition.

I found out that these Nextel’s are pretty fragile; you don’t want to drop them. Mine is dead they gave me a new one the other day wrapped in bubble wrap. Told me that I will buy the next one, I told them to put a rope on it.