Estes | Utility driver rumor ????

Credits
heard a pretty BAD rumor today from a pretty reliable source... really hope it is not true !!!!! heard today that they will be cutting more scheduled runs and using the NEW HIRE utility guys to cover the extra freight caused by the cut runs ? kind of scary, but possibly true.... my terminal has been hiring all new guys as utility lately ???? they gat paid less than a dockhand to work the dock, less than a peddle guy to peddle, and less than a linehaul guy to drive...... anyone else hear anything ?

Haven't heard that rumor....Maybe at the larger terminals they could make that work...But at satellite terminals,I can't see it...

Our utility guys fill in for all schedules. Thats all they've ever done. If all the schedules are covered, they run extra, city or stay home but it's a personal choice. They also receive top pay. I have noticed they are hiring a lot of new u guys around the company. I've also noticed the postings of many new schedules,especially in the Carolinas

Our utility guys fill in for all schedules. Thats all they've ever done. If all the schedules are covered, they run extra, city or stay home but it's a personal choice. They also receive top pay. I have noticed they are hiring a lot of new u guys around the company. I've also noticed the postings of many new schedules,especially in the Carolinas

Yeah, but he's saying they want to cut schedules and run utility guys for extra runs...I really don't think they can do that at termonals like mine...Maybe the larger ones that don't fill everyight or day..

Estes also recives tax credits for all new hires that stay on board for 90 days.As far as runs being cut you wont know until you walk in and see it posted some where,so I woulndnt let it raise your blood pressure.

ok. so where do the schedule drivers go to ? shouldn't they be bumped down to the xtra board to cover the xtra freight, before they hire someone off the street to do it ?

Yeah, but he's saying they want to cut schedules and run utility guys for extra runs...I really don't think they can do that at termonals like mine...Maybe the larger ones that don't fill everyight or day..
It's nothing new our barn, they are always the go to guys when they cut a run and have extra freight. Our utility guys run 99.9% road but they don't gain an ounce of road time seniority so they are no ones concern.

ok. so where do the schedule drivers go to ? shouldn't they be bumped down to the xtra board to cover the xtra freight, before they hire someone off the street to do it ?
Thats what they' ve been doing. They cut a run then it trickles down the latter until nothing can be bidded. Who knows what they are doing? Either way there will be no ulcers getting started in my belly, at least not stress related

Thats what they' ve been doing. They cut a run then it trickles down the latter until nothing can be bidded. Who knows what they are doing? Either way there will be no ulcers getting started in my belly, at least not stress related

No stress or drama till the first of the year anyway, right?? LOL Heard anything of freight lane changes down yander ??

No stress or drama till the first of the year anyway, right?? LOL Heard anything of freight lane changes down yander ??

We haven't heard anything down here rjjr...I think ATL is pretty much set...Unless GBO or CHA throw a kink in the system...As far as DAL, I don't think nothing is changing there either, unless something comes out during the bids...DAL is pretty "tight lipped" about those things...

well thanks I think...... but I guess it is different all over ? here the U guys do everything, dock, jockey, peddle, road.... and they say their pay is all the way around lower than the position they are filling...a dollar less an hour and .08 per mile lower? but then again I guess it may be a lie...but why would a guy lie about making LESS money ? usually when we tell stories it is to make the story better ? not worse..... I guess I will put away the pepcid until january .....

Yea, it's probably a story telling thing. If they are getting less money they need to call Richmond to see wtf. However I have heard of drivers checking on that sorta thing and being told it's up to the terminal manager on how much they are paid. When I first started working here I was told how quick I get topped out depends on me. Alot of these down yonder barns can hire, fire and pay their employees whatever they want

we haven't heard anything down here rjjr...i think atl is pretty much set...unless gbo or cha throw a kink in the system...as far as dal, i don't think nothing is changing there either, unless something comes out during the bids...dal is pretty "tight lipped" about those things...

with st louis and columbus not using all the dock space they have, things could get interesting here in the midwest !! Word has it they need faster service to and from minneapolis to southeast

with st louis and columbus not using all the dock space they have, things could get interesting here in the midwest !! Word has it they need faster service to and from minneapolis to southeast

Well, well....Where's all the purchased transportation they had running from ATL to MSP and KCK? Seems that's not working out too well for'em? Company teams that they laid off 2 years ago would have gladly ran that freight... They weren'r scared of the winters up there,were they....

Now I know why I cant cover a schedule. In the good ol days the next guy on the list basically covered the vacation schedules. Now we rot on the xtra board with no hope of a break. Wow, new classification = screwed line drivers. Just damn.

Yea, it's probably a story telling thing. If they are getting less money they need to call Richmond to see wtf. However I have heard of drivers checking on that sorta thing and being told it's up to the terminal manager on how much they are paid. When I first started working here I was told how quick I get topped out depends on me. Alot of these down yonder barns can hire, fire and pay their employees whatever they want
I love ya Mildew!!!!! This post confuses me though. The first sentence suggests that it is "probably" bs. But then you lend several reasons as to why it wouldn't surprise you if it wasn't. I like that. TE out.....

I love ya Mildew!!!!! This post confuses me though. The first sentence suggests that it is "probably" bs. But then you lend several reasons as to why it wouldn't surprise you if it wasn't. I like that. TE out.....
probably was a drunk post

Well, well....Where's all the purchased transportation they had running from ATL to MSP and KCK? Seems that's not working out too well for'em? Company teams that they laid off 2 years ago would have gladly ran that freight... They weren'r scared of the winters up there,were they....
I'm not afraid! I wish Big E would send me up there, I'd do it and do it safely, gotta call the TM back in January..is it ever gonna get here?

Does Bean Counter mean anything? Well not hard to figure out why they came up with the UTILITY category. I love being a Category, man they run me like a freight train doing Utility, at a cost though, had to take a pay cut to do basically the same thing I did on Linehaul!! Gee who could I be next?

Does Bean Counter mean anything? Well not hard to figure out why they came up with the UTILITY category. I love being a Category, man they run me like a freight train doing Utility, at a cost though, had to take a pay cut to do basically the same thing I did on Linehaul!! Gee who could I be next?
Our utility guys make alot of money. They work crazy shifts though. Dont you get max pay?