FedEx Freight | Vacation denied

Believer

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm being told that my vacation that was approved a year ago may be denied.

We had a city driver that was brought back in after one day off and I'm seeing this happen in other centers as well.

I understand we are under staffed right now due to all the lay-offs and now we have more freight than anticipated, but this is a bad practice and will cause a lot of strife.:ranting2:

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get over it.

We had a city driver that was brought back in after one day off and I'm seeing this happen in other centers as well.

I understand we are under staffed right now due to all the lay-offs and now we have more freight than anticipated, but this is a bad practice and will cause a lot of strife.:ranting2:

i guess if your satisfied with that i know i wouldnt.as long as you still have the form or a copy i would call hr that is there problem they havent hired up for this.

Believer :clap:

Can't you just call in sick????
Just ask for the vacation money NOW
and they will just cut you a check.

:shift:

I cannot believe that would stand up if questoned. What if you had airline tickets and a condo paid for that you could not get your money refunded? Looks like FEDEX would be liable for your losses.

I would call HR now to find out what they have to say about this practice. If they are ok with it, you're screwed, but if they say no way, get a name and tell your red shirts to give that person a call and have it explained to them.

ALWAYS keep your vacation slips.

It's crap that they think they can treat people like that. I thought all the focus was on getting the employees "engaged". What could p*ss off a person more than having their vacation "recalled"? I'd fight it tooth and nail.

Bull shat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you still have the approved paperwork with their signature? If so I would take it to Human resources. If they want to rewrite the rules then thats fine. But you are already approved.

That's definitely unacceptable and not right. I can see them ASKING if you could hold off, but to require you to hold off or reschedule sounds like a breech of trust...

Calls into question the whole vacation bidding process.I hope it aint soo. :Flame-On:

Any new requests seem to be denied at our barn. Those who were already approved have been asked if they can reschedule but if you say no then they aren't forcing anyone......yet

I remember in the good old AF days when UPS was on strike they did this including a manager who had paid for a cabin in advanced and nonrefundable he didn't like it either but he swallowed hard and rode it out.

There's alot of drivers out of work right now who would love to have that problem.

So because the job market sucks right now I have to swallow everything the company wants to shove down my throat?

What about the guys that have put in their time and are NOT out of work. They don't deserve their vacation because so many are out of work?

You give much to much power to the company. The "be happy you have a job" wears thin when it covers every misdeed by the company.

So because the job market sucks right now I have to swallow everything the company wants to shove down my throat?

What about the guys that have put in their time and are NOT out of work. They don't deserve their vacation because so many are out of work?

You give much to much power to the company. The "be happy you have a job" wears thin when it covers every misdeed by the company.

Look...the company is busy right now and they need all the men they can get to work. You have to understand how difficult it is to plan the proper staffing/equipment levels when last year at this time, the world was coming to an end and the Dow was nose-diving below 8k. Now, we're up above 10k and one of our major competitors will be gone soon....not IF but WHEN. So it's very difficult to plan and staff for these types of boom-bust swings in freight demand. This isn't like truckload where they've got 100% turnover and no threats of guys signing cards...when you hire a man in LTL it's alot different.

Right now, guys have to ask themselves what their priorities are. Is it going on vacation or helping the company get through this and keep alot of this freight being thrown our way?

Let me give you an example: just last week, I was at a customer and they booted USF out b/c of the YRCW bankruptcy rumors and they gave all those skids to FedEx Freight. Freight went from 3-4 skids per day to getting over 18-20 skids and just that one customer blew the regular peddle driver's trailer out. Remember YRCW has already lost 47% of its freight...where do you think that stuff is going? Now, when they go belly up there's another 53% up for grabs on top of that and you multiply this over the entire country and you see what the problems are. But it's VERY difficult to plan for a competitor going out...how long will they hold on? Will they get more financing and this drags out another year or so? Lots of questions but you can't just hire a bunch of guys at $18 bucks an hour and have them standing around sweeping the dock waiting for YRCW to go out.

So in the meantime, we've got to work through this the best we can. I've had several vacation requests denied due to the influx of freight...but you know what? I didn't throw a tantrum like a 2-year old like I see alot of guys do, nor did I bash my employer on a messageboard. I came into work and did the best I could to secure this extra freight. More freight means more hours, more men working, raises, bonuses, overtime, etc...sometimes you've got to look at the bigger picture...it's not always about YOU.

Look...the company is busy right now and they need all the men they can get to work. You have to understand how difficult it is to plan the proper staffing/equipment levels when last year at this time, the world was coming to an end and the Dow was nose-diving below 8k. Now, we're up above 10k and one of our major competitors will be gone soon....not IF but WHEN. So it's very difficult to plan and staff for these types of boom-bust swings in freight demand. This isn't like truckload where they've got 100% turnover and no threats of guys signing cards...when you hire a man in LTL it's alot different.

I'm sure it is. But you have to admit, they have made a mess of staffing. Completely redoing the system, p*ssing off scores of employees, gutting line haul and turning it into some nightly slapstick comedy where the freight doesn't move or comes in so late that it's unworkable. but it's ok because they have a code for that freight to make sure it doesn't affect their reports.

Right now, guys have to ask themselves what their priorities are. Is it going on vacation or helping the company get through this and keep alot of this freight being thrown our way?

We can't handle the amount of freight we have now. And it's not for lack of people. It's getting the freight to where it belongs in a timely manner. When your road drivers are busy loading trailers because they decided that part time dock crews full of people with no interest in the company was the way to go and the freight sits, I have to suck it up and deal with it? Instead of simply reducing staffing, they reworked the entire model during a time of chaos. No wonder it isn't working.

Let me give you an example: just last week, I was at a customer and they booted USF out b/c of the YRCW bankruptcy rumors and they gave all those skids to FedEx Freight. Freight went from 3-4 skids per day to getting over 18-20 skids and just that one customer blew the regular peddle driver's trailer out. Remember YRCW has already lost 47% of its freight...where do you think that stuff is going? Now, when they go belly up there's another 53% up for grabs on top of that and you multiply this over the entire country and you see what the problems are. But it's VERY difficult to plan for a competitor going out...how long will they hold on? Will they get more financing and this drags out another year or so? Lots of questions but you can't just hire a bunch of guys at $18 bucks an hour and have them standing around sweeping the dock waiting for YRCW to go out.

Again, I'm sure it's tough. But that's why they make the big bucks. And if they hadn't gutted the infrastructure, we wouldn't be scrambling now to get the freight where it belongs. If it's here, it gets delivered. If it's in some PT trailer that's running 7 hours late, well, that's a problem. What good does it do the customer when we can't move their freight?

So in the meantime, we've got to work through this the best we can. I've had several vacation requests denied due to the influx of freight...but you know what? I didn't throw a tantrum like a 2-year old like I see alot of guys do, nor did I bash my employer on a messageboard. I came into work and did the best I could to secure this extra freight. More freight means more hours, more men working, raises, bonuses, overtime, etc...sometimes you've got to look at the bigger picture...it's not always about YOU.

You live to work, I work to live. And there was a time I would do whatever I could to get the job done because we were a team and we all, (well, most of us), would feel the same. That's not what FedEx wants. They want us fragmented and compartmentalized. Only concerned with the specific numbers and goals they set for our part of the puzzle.

I don't think anyone is throwing a tantrum. Vacations are important. Having one denied is one thing. Being told that you now have to work after making plans and spending money is another thing entirely.

Good for you. You just gritted your teeth and did what you were told. I'm sure the time lost with your family is insignificant because you secured that extra freight. You can always take the kids to the Grand Canyon next year. Unless the company says no.

You ignore the comitment the company made to these employees. Bid vacations days (up to a year in advance) based on seniority or availability. Now at this time of year most have recieved/taken their vacation days, many with less seniority.

Vacations are an earned benefit, with a specific process in place for scheduling them. Employees are obligated to follow the procedure as well as the company.

Why should these few employees and their families be forced to sacrifice scheduled (and approved) vaction time because the company failed to plan and staff the centers.

sometimes you've got to look at the bigger picture...it's not always about YOU.

It's also NOT always just about the company. What about the commitment to people (and the families too).

In fact, when it comes to approved vacation time it IS all about me, AND the commitment the company made to me, and every one of us...

Let's not forget the basic buisness principals we were founded on: 2 of which apply to this topic.

1.Take care of our people.

2. Take care of our customers.

3. Honor our commitments.

4. Work hard, smart, and safely—and work together.

5. Make the most of resources.

6. Have fun.

I'l have to go with Franklin on something he has pointed out on one of his long winded threads .... why did we destroy our infrastructure with the layoffs ... and then turn around 3 months later and go after freight ..... don't get me wrong here ..I like the work .. but really ?

Also SwampRatt makes a good point ...#1 Take care of our people .... and #3 Honor our commitments

:shift: