SAIA | vacation

If you are asking what I think you are....vacations will be handled by your terminal manager. I remember the CLT and ATL regions being the test mule for that, but I thought it had been put into place company wide already. It works really well for the most part here in GVL. I hated calling central dispatch to ask for a day off b/c they never wanted to give it to you. I've had a day I wanted be denied, only to be cut that same day. If that is not what you are talking about, I apologize.

If you are asking what I think you are....vacations will be handled by your terminal manager. I remember the CLT and ATL regions being the test mule for that, but I thought it had been put into place company wide already. It works really well for the most part here in GVL. I hated calling central dispatch to ask for a day off b/c they never wanted to give it to you. I've had a day I wanted be denied, only to be cut that same day. If that is not what you are talking about, I apologize.

np i should have been more specific. heard briefly today from management that starting jan 1st 2010 we will have to earn are vacation from scratch. lets say for example you have 4 weeks of vacation and take 3 weeks in july, for some reason you leave the company in august, you would have to pay back for the time you did not earn in 2010 yet.
Basically doing away with the fact that you worked all of 2009 to earn those 4 weeks for 2010. any word? hopefully i explained where it can be understood.

When will this new policy be explained company wide? That is a drastic change from current policy.

Hmmmm, it reminds me of the sucky policy that was at a previous employer. I essentially had to work for free to pay back vacation time I had already used. I was told and did not verify that one person filed a complaint with either a state or federal agency and had his payback overturned. It was based on requiring somebody to work with out pay. Lawyers anyone?

I hope this helps.

Form 8-K for SAIA INC

25-Aug-2009

Other Events

Item 8.01 Other Events.

On August 24, 2009, Saia, Inc. announced, effective August 30, 2009, the Company is terminating its current vacation policy. The Company is implementing a new policy effective January 1, 2010 under which employees will accrue vacation time proportionally throughout the year, which can then be used in the same year it is accrued. The Company expects the change in vacation policy will result in a reduction of approximately $11 million in vacation expense in 2009 with $8 million of the reduction in the third quarter and the remainder in the fourth quarter. The Company's vacation expense will return to historical levels in 2010.
Summary of SAIA INC - Yahoo! Finance

:shift:

Ok, I read it a fourth time, and I think SAIA is saying that nobody will be accruing any vacation time from August 30, 2009 till the end of the year.

Just got home, and got pulled into the meeting when I got back from my run. Basically the current vacation policy will stay in effect until Jan. 1, 2010. At that time everyone starts with 0 vacation days earned unless you rolled some over. To simplify it, let's say you have been here long enough to have 3 weeks of vacation. You will earn a week every 4 months. If you want to take 3 weeks off in January, you will still get paid for them, but if you quit before you accrued those 3 weeks you will owe the company money for the amount of days taken that you had not earned yet. You still start with the same 5 personal days though. It sounded more simple in my head......but pretty much if you don't plan on going anywhere, you have nothing to worry about.

Just got home, and got pulled into the meeting when I got back from my run. Basically the current vacation policy will stay in effect until Jan. 1, 2010. At that time everyone starts with 0 vacation days earned unless you rolled some over. To simplify it, let's say you have been here long enough to have 3 weeks of vacation. You will earn a week every 4 months. If you want to take 3 weeks off in January, you will still get paid for them, but if you quit before you accrued those 3 weeks you will owe the company money for the amount of days taken that you had not earned yet. You still start with the same 5 personal days though. It sounded more simple in my head......but pretty much if you don't plan on going anywhere, you have nothing to worry about.

I expect that they still want us to plan our lives one year in advance and submit vacation requests prior the end of the year.

DemolitionMan :clap:

So did they explain to you how they get the 11 million dollars savings if they are not making any major changes like stopping accruing vacation pay till the end of the year???
Also does SAIA pay line drivers 40 hours vacation pay for every week earned or taken, or is it 1/52 of you gross wages earned throughout the year.
You think they would have put out a press release to explain it a little better.

line drivers is 1/52, and what about the weeks we earned this year? i guess that's where they are saving the bucks we get screwed out of this years vacation. you had to work and earn your vacation the year b/4 you took it

no they want to keep us in the dark as much as possable

jack knife :biglaugh:

It is in their best interest to keep everybody informed and engaged.
At least that is what they tell us here at FXF.
I think I would ask your service center manager what the deal is.
They can´t take anything you earned so far, but the way I read it, it tells me they are putting on a freeze for the next 4 months, so that you can help SAIA get by this rough patch.

OK. So if in the past you "Earned" your vacation time the year before you took it and now you don't "Earn" it until after the first quarter of the year, they get away with not being liable for 3 months vacation time. Imagine that.

in the past first check in jan would show us how many vac hrs we had. i get 2 weeks so that would be 80. now the check in jan will show 0 and as the year goes by we will earn hrs,i would guess they would give so many hrs per quarter depending on how many weeks you get, in my case that would be 20 hrs per quarter

The other note if you get fired, quit, or layed off between now and the end of the year you will not get paid for your sick leave or vacaton that you have already earned. Effective 8/30/2009.

Sorry Drivers

Well this really sucks, I believe the company is setting yall up for another layoff. If you think about it they want have to pay out all that vacation time if they layoff guys or gals. they can just cut them free.

We do this at Averitt. This prevents guys from getting a new job early in the year and taking all their vacation before they turn in their notice.

I guess what you all fail to realize, is that we worked this whole year and lost all gained Vacation time... You and I accrued 0 vacation for 2009.. I lost 3600 dollars in Vacation, which I would have gotten this Jan 2010. This is how they are saving money...