SAIA | Vent thread

Renegade rider... Word of advice. Don't let management catch you backing a gear with a trailer. It's a safety violation and against policy. Great skill to have and when u are proficient it saves time. But it is a violation and you could run into a manager in a power trip
He's right but I see them doing it all the time.....But it is a No No.

Renegade rider... Word of advice. Don't let management catch you backing a gear with a trailer. It's a safety violation and against policy. Great skill to have and when u are proficient it saves time. But it is a violation and you could run into a manager in a power trip

Guess every company has its quirks..Use to do it all the time at con-way..But it is probably the number one reason for dropped trailers due to high hooks..Wasn't a policy against it there.

Is it against the rules to back a gear onto the gear pad? Or is it only into the back trailer? You'd think they wouldn't mind it onto the pad as the chance of an injury is greatly reduced.

If you go to HMA,VCT, or HRL went its muddy its a lot safer and easier to back the dolly up with it hooked to lead trailer...

The "phantom" safety rules for linehaul, city, etc...should have been explained during training. Ask your driver trainer and they should coroborate my statement. Also, backing a gear like you explain causes a lot of unnecessary damage to equipment like broken airlines, jack knives leading to bending parts, etc...think about how we are occasionally short on gears. To buy a replacement or fix a busted one is expensive and time consuming. And there it is. Expense ($) and time ($). These are things managers are held accountable for. And god help you if your negligence makes their numbers look bad

Company rules or not If your good at it you don't have to worry about bending stuff and cutting lines but not everybody's good at it just a few

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

What's wrong with putting the phantom safety rules in the employee Manual or Linehaul manual where they are actually in black and white

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

A driver got indefinitely suspended for not calling central first after he put out a brake fire on the shoulder. He called the Atlanta shop and they handled it. He was 6 miles away from the terminal. He should get a fkn medal and a bonus check! Note to self, let that trailer burn to the ground and call central.

Well if that's the case, then as far as I'm concerned, management had set the precedent. Let it burn fellas. Guess I'll start carrying a bag of marshmallows with me...just curious though, how was the driver supposed to contact central? Last time I checked, I pay my cell phone bill, for my use, not so the company can try to use it against me...

Some reasons why Saia sucks:

Bad attitude and unprofessionalism from CENTRAL DISPATCH!

Useless people in the dock office.

Idiot old man running dock in Nashville.

Not getting paid for sitting around (wait 3 hours get paid for 15 minutes type bs)

Stick you in a tractor w/o prepass or toll pass or sunpass and expect you to pay tolls.

Have to call central every time your nuts itch.

Not getting paid for drop and hooks.

Low miles + low pay= goodbye