TB Regular
Credits
So if you apply for a new job and one of the companies you worked for either:

a) no longer exists

or

b) was bought out by another company

or

c) merged with another company

Then how does it work as far as employment verification?

So if you apply for a new job and one of the companies you worked for either:

a) no longer exists

or

b) was bought out by another company

or

c) merged with another company

Then how does it work as far as employment verification?
you can provide W-2 pay stubs, if you got'em

Would not the S.S.A. or related government agency have records of companies that have folded, merged, moved??
What about "Company located in the state of" or phone books (yes, aging self) having listings/records?

Some hiring companies (trucking companies specifically) want the burden of proof to fall on the applicant even though these companies have the resources available to do the research, so go figure.

You're unemployable till proven employable.

One can FIND ANYTHING online.

Last edited:
Not according to some trucking companies.
They REQUIRE the applicant to PROVIDE all pertinent info regarding ANY company applicant worked at that has since closed/moved, merged or disappeared.
ANY company of that philosophy is no company for me.

Not according to some trucking companies.
They REQUIRE the applicant to PROVIDE all pertinent info regarding ANY company applicant worked at that has since closed/moved, merged or disappeared.
ANY company of that philosophy is no company for me.
i had applied to jobs.

i have maybe at the very least, 5 (former) that are no longer in business.

i have one, (still in business) that simply does NOT respond to any background requests, OR verification of employment.

i have NEVER even supplied any W-2 forms.

like you say, no company for me as well, if they want more than i am able to supply.

it simply is not my job, to keep track of out of business employers, or thier mergers, etc,etc.

but now, as we both know, my days of working, (in trucking) are over.....(or very soon to be) as per my thread.

i know as an applicant you are required to provide the last 10 years of employment, but is the company required to verify all 10 or just the past 3 years?

2) Let's a company you worked for was bought out by another company, but you quit before the buyout. If, say, you wanted to work for the new company, which company would you list as the company you worked for? That previous company or the present company? Also, would the new company have the old employment records?

i know as an applicant you are required to provide the last 10 years of employment, but is the company required to verify all 10 or just the past 3 years?

2) Let's a company you worked for was bought out by another company, but you quit before the buyout. If, say, you wanted to work for the new company, which company would you list as the company you worked for? That previous company or the present company? Also, would the new company have the old employment records?
companies have to "make an attempt" to verify the 10 years.

after any of us provide the required information, it is no longer up to us to dig further if a company goes belly up, for one reason or another...

i never did..(beyond some copies of W-2 stubs), and i never will go any further than that.

and the previous company, (you use on your applications) since the new company does not know you from a hole in the ground.

if any new employer or your former employers subscribe to DAC, or any other background checking company, most likely all that information will be available to the new employer.

don;t sweat the details, you are way over thinking this.

companies have to "make an attempt" to verify the 10 years.

after any of us provide the required information, it is no longer up to us to dig further if a company goes belly up, for one reason or another...

i never did..(beyond some copies of W-2 stubs), and i never will go any further than that.

and the previous company, (you use on your applications) since the new company does not know you from a hole in the ground.

if any new employer or your former employers subscribe to DAC, or any other background checking company, most likely all that information will be available to the new employer.

don;t sweat the details, you are way over thinking this.
Yeah. Gee. Your last sentence. Mountain out of a molehill. A good percentage of trucking companies beyond LTL just care if your license and physical are valid, and throw you in a truck.

Wong and I go back many years. We were the Wisconsin state fair champs, 3 years in a row, competing in the Brats, and Beer contest. Miller High Life of course.
Red Label
5587.jpg

I've got you beat pro,I worked for 15 LTL's which are all no longer in business.
Thing is everyone took taxes out of my check before I got.
So checking in with the IRS would let the next employer know where you worked.

Being an ummmm......errrrrrr.......uuuuuuu collector I have about 99% of my pay stubs dating back into the early '80s. It's funny how that little piece of paper, when combined with all the rest, fills two shoe boxes.:idunno: