XPO | Via Policy - Is it just me......

driverslo

TB Lurker
Credits
Is it just me, or did the company determine years ago that when there is a via, the senior driver can accept the via, or take loads straight (if available)?
We are having issues. They say that is true for FAC but not outbound....

I'm trying to find the policy but have come up empty-handed. Does anyone know where to find it?

Is it just me, or did the company determine years ago that when there is a via, the senior driver can accept the via, or take loads straight (if available)?
We are having issues. They say that is true for FAC but not outbound....

I'm trying to find the policy but have come up empty-handed. Does anyone know where to find it?
You guys should have it in the employee portal in the navigator. Or your Tm can show you.

I’m not sure if it’s covered in there. Maybe someone can copy it and post it here if it exsist in any specificities.

Last edited:
Back in the Con-Way days, it was printed right on the o/b run sheet, “all via’s depart with the first set”. Now it’s more about on time dispatch at my barn. Sometimes the senior driver does the via, sometimes not. I have no idea about the current “policy”.

My region h/r lady told me the senor person can pass the via down only if there are 2 ready to go straight at your terminal or at the fac. If 2 loads aren't ready he can ask but if the second guy doesn't want to do it he refuses it the senor guy has to take it. . Also company policy is if senor guy passes via down he is forced to the bottom of the senoraty list for the note. If you want to push it

My region h/r lady told me the senor person can pass the via down only if there are 2 ready to go straight at your terminal or at the fac. If 2 loads aren't ready he can ask but if the second guy doesn't want to do it he refuses it the senor guy has to take it. . Also company policy is if senor guy passes via down he is forced to the bottom of the senoraty list for the note. If you want to push it
Did you see the policy in writing ?

Oh I got to find this. Were did she say she was reading it on the portal.
I will push it.

This is straight out of the XPO employee Handbook

FAC Order of Dispatch Procedure
■ No VIA: When two or more DSRs arrive at one FAC
from the same origin service center, the DSRs will be
dispatched back home in the same order of dispatch as
from origin if the DSRs both arrived on time to the FAC.
In the event that a DSR is late in arriving to the FAC, the
DSRs will dispatch from the FAC in the order in which
they arrived. If arrival into the FAC is delayed due to
en-route breakdown, DOT inspection or load correction
due to trailer weight issues, the DSR will maintain their
position as established by origin dispatch. Available
hours of service will take precedence.

■ With a VIA: All linehaul VIA’s will be assigned to the first
schedule departing the outbound location or FAC. If
there are multiple schedules being dispatched at the
same time for the same lane, the DSR with the highest
service rank may choose the VIA dispatch or the direct
dispatch. This option will be available provided no
hours of service issues exist. DSRs running VIAs will be
dispatched from their final FAC destination back to origin
in the order in which they were dispatched from their
origin domicile service center, provided that the DSR
arrives on time to both the original VIA point and the
final FAC destination. The on-time determination is to
be made based on achieving the ETA on the destination
FINL schedule. FAC coordinators will monitor the above
application in conjunction with the linehaul department.

This is straight out of the XPO employee Handbook

FAC Order of Dispatch Procedure
■ No VIA: When two or more DSRs arrive at one FAC
from the same origin service center, the DSRs will be
dispatched back home in the same order of dispatch as
from origin if the DSRs both arrived on time to the FAC.
In the event that a DSR is late in arriving to the FAC, the
DSRs will dispatch from the FAC in the order in which
they arrived. If arrival into the FAC is delayed due to
en-route breakdown, DOT inspection or load correction
due to trailer weight issues, the DSR will maintain their
position as established by origin dispatch. Available
hours of service will take precedence.

Thanks fly

Key points: with no VIA DSR are dispatched in a first in first out from the FAC. So is a senior DSR comes in late and you dispatch your barn before them, time make a dispatch time, you get to leave the FAC before they do. First in First out. Now the senior can pass it down but if anyone below they refuses he is forced out.

Via out of you home barn: Rule one is dispatch time must be meet. This is were you got confused. You have a senior DSR going to FAC-1 and he pass down a VIA through FAC-1 going to FAC-2. In this case the jr DSR goes first. Remmeber this the VIA driver always goes first. Now if the senior DSR going to FAC-1 can choose if he wants a VIA through FAC-2 and then onto FAC-1 or to go straight up to FAC-1. The only time he can not pass it on is when he is the only one or there are the same amount of VIAs as DSR in the lane.

Now all VIAs going to FAC-1 and contiuning on to another FAC will leave no matter there service rank before the driver going straight to FAC-1.

The big Key point to remember:
Dispatch time must be meet.
First in first out with exception noted in the rule. Only on no VIAs
Any Via going to a FAC always leaves first no matter seniority.
Also any VIA driver from others barns that arrive before you get your loads will always get there loads first.
If you are the only one going to a FAC from you barn then you are the last dispatch time.
If the senior DSR can not make his dispatch time he can be skipped or put on another run were he can make a dispatch time.

Last edited:
So, the policy is the same with XPO as was with Con-Way and CCX. If both the via and non-via are ready at the same time, senior driver gets choice. Outbound and FAC. At our barn, we pretty much let the senior driver take whatever they want, no matter what. Some do the right thing and take all the via’s, some only take the gravy. Some take whatever gets them home sooner. The thing that drives me nuts is when you ask the senior driver “are you going to do the via, or not”, and they give you a “I don’t know yet”.

Some other barns don’t get along that way and follow a “first in, first out” policy at the FAC’s.

So, the policy is the same with XPO as was with Con-Way and CCX. If both the via and non-via are ready at the same time, senior driver gets choice. Outbound and FAC. At our barn, we pretty much let the senior driver take whatever they want, no matter what. Some do the right thing and take all the via’s, some only take the gravy. Some take whatever gets them home sooner. The thing that drives me nuts is when you ask the senior driver “are you going to do the via, or not”, and they give you a “I don’t know yet”.

Some other barns don’t get along that way and follow a “first in, first out” policy at the FAC’s.
Well our FOS has a pair of balls and don't play those games.
As for leaving the FAC the FOS has the choose of letting the senior DSR leave or not. If the senior drive does not take the VIA he can be forced to stay longer even if loads going straight home are ready

You really what to **** off a clock sucker is have him forced out at 2:30am with a short ride home

Well our FOS has a pair of balls and don't play those games.
As for leaving the FAC the FOS has the choose of letting the senior DSR leave or not. If the senior drive does not take the VIA he can be forced to stay longer even if loads going straight home are ready
I see the same thing. When you are the senior driver, that’s called weighing your options. Stay or go when they let you. Speaks to my point of taking the “what gets me home earlier” option. Some also do the “what makes me more money” option. Really sucks to be the junior driver.