Central Transport | Vitran Announces Agreement to Sell U.S. LTL Business

Just for an idea of how Moroun runs his businesses you might go to YouTube and search Central Transport. A couple videos on there. At least two dealing with tractors. Saw one in the past but can't find it now. Had to do with conditions of the dock. The battery storage areas looked like hazmat disaster sites.
Couple other videos showing their safety record which leaves a whole lot to be desired. Sounds like DOT knows they're easy pickin's for violations.
My guess is it won't matter one way or another if you remain separate from Central. Pretty obvious Moroun collects his profits but sinks little if anything back into the business.
Who knows? Maybe its cheaper for him to buy Vitran than it is to repair Central. Maybe Central is the one about to be mothballed.

Just for an idea of how Moroun runs his businesses you might go to YouTube and search Central Transport. A couple videos on there. At least two dealing with tractors. Saw one in the past but can't find it now. Had to do with conditions of the dock. The battery storage areas looked like hazmat disaster sites.
Couple other videos showing their safety record which leaves a whole lot to be desired. Sounds like DOT knows they're easy pickin's for violations.
My guess is it won't matter one way or another if you remain separate from Central. Pretty obvious Moroun collects his profits but sinks little if anything back into the business.
Who knows? Maybe its cheaper for him to buy Vitran than it is to repair Central. Maybe Central is the one about to be mothballed.

Maroun is worth around 3 billion dollars, CT ain't going anywhere Fred.

I worked for PJAX back in the mid 1990's and I was surprised at how badly it seemed to be mismanaged at times (especially in comparison to Pitt Ohio). How they lasted long enough to go into Vitran is impressive in and of itself. Sounds like things got even worse since Vitran has had them.

PJAX had some really nice tractors (I was there when the first Mack CH models came in) but they also had some horrible beat up old Mack R & U models. Ouch.

I know it was a family owned business. The one son (I think he was a son) named Jeff was a really good guy to work for. My question - anybody know why the owners at PJAX sold out?

Really simple, they could not turn down the deal in Nov 2006. Father Donnie Sr, sons Donnie Jr. and Jimmy all worked for the business. Company sold for 128 million cash plus 13 million in Vitran stock.

Really simple, they could not turn down the deal in Nov 2006. Father Donnie Sr, sons Donnie Jr. and Jimmy all worked for the business. Company sold for 128 million cash plus 13 million in Vitran stock.

And son Jeff who ran their PLG terminal.

I think this is a big misstate for a full load to ltl it's a big confusion and be very costly on the ltl side when all your going to have is greenies. I just personally from working on the ltl side was hard enough without adding full loads it just made things more time and money consuming. Jeff

CT is Mattys baby. This company makes money hand over fist, it's not going anywhere.

Here's the deal with CT after several years of being here. Your experience will highly depend on your TM. If you have a good one, who is willing to back you up, and fight z bit, your good.

I've worked for some companies that look great on paper, but turn out to be worthless. CT was supposed to be a temp intro to LTL, and I haven't been given s reason to leave.

There are several things that you can look forward to. 1) my check is always there and cashes. 2) we tend to run skeleton crews so work is always there. 3) Matty doesn't lose money, and doesn't put up with management that screw with his profits.

The equipment can be iffy. Pretrip the hell out of anything you question and ride road services arse. If that doesn't work, our safety director is more than happy to bust some heads. I've worked personally with the guy, he's a good dude.

It's far from perfect, but at the end of the day it isn't bad. I can't remember a time with CT I worried about doors being locked when I got there.

As for pay, at least at my terminal we're within $1.25 an hour to all the others.

I will say one thing, if you are relying on ANY company for retirement and insurance right now, you shouldn't be . It's very easy for it to all go away if the company shuts it's doors. Shop around, analyze your needs, and go get your own. You may find it requires less investment in the end, and you net a better return.

just made a deal with the devil !!!! he sold all your souls!!!! worked there at central for 15 years (when they were union). don't walk, run to the nearest local to organize!!! you all must of done something wrong in your previous life!!!
I worked fro CT back in 06-07, in hammond In, we tried to organize with the teamsters in Gary In. We failed, most of us got fired for "other" reasons, the teamsters have been trying to get in there for years, at one point( before i got there in 06), the teamsters had their foot in, and then CT let go of all hourly drivers and had all owner ops running freight. The owner hates unions, he is a cheap qrick!!!! Idk what is in your near future, but CT pays like shiit, and they dont upgrade their equipment like most LTL gigs. I heard last night on the Steve Summers show that ODFL is starting a new pricing war, by dropping their rates to try and get more freight for the truck lanes of a 1000 miles or more, so if i were still at vitran, i would go to the ODFL barn in your area and put in a app. Becuz i got a funny feeling that ODFL in 3 years will be the biggest LTL com in the country. they aRE a profitable company, their damage rate is super low. And they update their equipment yearly. Good luck to all, and train, the vitran train has derailed ALL HANDS ON DECK

Yep, I see that CT has opened up lots of runs lately for owner operators according to career builder. I am thinking its just a matter of time before vitran opens up runs for ICs too. They might be following the RPS Fedex ground business model. ABF got on board with remaining profitable through ICs, and did the same when they purchased panther, looks like panther is an all IC operation.

I ran pm linehaul for these clowns for a couple years when they were PJAX.
Worst outfit I ever ran for in my 16 years of driving.
The people there were pure scum.
I mean bottom 'o the barrel low life.
From the drivers to dispatch to ops, they were the kind of folks
who give trucking a bad name.
They didn't care if you were over hours, over gross weight, if your
trailer lights didn't work, etc. you were supposed to run regardless.
The drivers and ops managers were thieves who would steal freight off the dock
and even from yer own personal vehicle if you accidentally left it unlocked.
I lost count of how many fights I got into with those scumbags over such issues.
I'm surprised DOT didn't shut them down long ago and throw Donny Hammil in jail.

Last edited by a moderator:
so Nashville tm is "business as usual" (until further notice) what's all that suppose to mean?? what happened to keeping your employees informed and "in the know" ?? this sure don't do much for morale I tell you
:(