Central Transport | vitran dropped considerably

I coudn't have said it better myself. Working at vitran for years with no raise EVER, I did too believe in this company, expanding their playing grounds, with the purchases of 5 companys, everyone seen the more freight on the docks, and all the trailers coming in and out would be 100% cubed. so what am I trying to get at you say? the more fright the more revenue means $$$$$ for employees, well as all of you who have stuck with vitran for more then 4 years, you all know that the last part was not true. I truely believe that if Vitran hired Ray Lewis to come in here and give one of his heartpounding, mind blowing, pure adrenaline speeches, not even that would get the morale around here up. All employees are fed up with the way management is running this company into the ground, and fast. when you come into work and do your job like you are supposed to, meaning as a driver you are to pre-trip your rig. and for those that dont know what this means, it consist of checking fluids, tires, lights,etc, and yes drivers this means opening up the little "capsule" on the front of the trailer to see if there is registration, and a up to date D.O.T. inspection paper that is up to date. for example: one day a while back, I got hooked up and was inspecting my rig, when I opened the "capsule" and found that the inspection was over due, so I went to the shop and the mech said the trl needed all new brakes, so dispatch had me put a red tag and bump the dock and swing the frieght, so after I swept out the filthy trl, which is supposed to be the dockhands duty after he was done mting it, I checked the paperwork and that trl was past due for inspct. so I found another trl and swung the frieght on that trl, and can u believe it. that trl didnt even have paperwork for it. hahaha, so I take it to the shop and that one needed 3 tires and all brakes, it took 2.5 hrs, the manager comes out and has the nerve to tell me, what is taking so long u have a apt and you are going to be late, you need to get it and go, I cant have no bring backs today. I stopped and looked him in the eyes and said, "buddy, do not tell me to hurry up and get it and go, I would never be put in this situation if the last driver of the last 3 trls would do their job, but I cant blame them for this, I blame every manager in this company cuz you dont hold no1 ACCOUNTABLE for their actions, that is the number one problem with this place, no one cares, no one wil get in trouble for things like this." but god for bid when I do job meaning pre-tripping the trl, you get loud with me and start saying why is it taking so long. does this happen to any of you on a daily basis? sry for the long story, just didnt know how to cut it down to size

i am known as "mr out of service" around my place, well, to bad, if i can place it out, dam sure a low level flunky dot inspector can too, that is what they are trained for. been through it all, and my usual response is "don't blame the guy who put it down, blame the one before me who didn't":crybaby: i get tired of seeing someone sign ok :wtflol:on a truck or trailer only for me to take 30 seconds and find an out of service :Rulz:, then catch heck for it :fingure:...........to bad...............so sad.......... but if i get caught out on the road with it, it is all my fault:busted:.............terminated because i knew better :732:............so pucker up :butt kiss:

responce was also to see how many little guys i could get to show up :6817:

I coudn't have said it better myself. Working at vitran for years with no raise EVER, I did too believe in this company, expanding their playing grounds, with the purchases of 5 companys, everyone seen the more freight on the docks, and all the trailers coming in and out would be 100% cubed. so what am I trying to get at you say? the more fright the more revenue means $$$$$ for employees, well as all of you who have stuck with vitran for more then 4 years, you all know that the last part was not true. I truely believe that if Vitran hired Ray Lewis to come in here and give one of his heartpounding, mind blowing, pure adrenaline speeches, not even that would get the morale around here up. All employees are fed up with the way management is running this company into the ground, and fast. when you come into work and do your job like you are supposed to, meaning as a driver you are to pre-trip your rig. and for those that dont know what this means, it consist of checking fluids, tires, lights,etc, and yes drivers this means opening up the little "capsule" on the front of the trailer to see if there is registration, and a up to date D.O.T. inspection paper that is up to date. for example: one day a while back, I got hooked up and was inspecting my rig, when I opened the "capsule" and found that the inspection was over due, so I went to the shop and the mech said the trl needed all new brakes, so dispatch had me put a red tag and bump the dock and swing the frieght, so after I swept out the filthy trl, which is supposed to be the dockhands duty after he was done mting it, I checked the paperwork and that trl was past due for inspct. so I found another trl and swung the frieght on that trl, and can u believe it. that trl didnt even have paperwork for it. hahaha, so I take it to the shop and that one needed 3 tires and all brakes, it took 2.5 hrs, the manager comes out and has the nerve to tell me, what is taking so long u have a apt and you are going to be late, you need to get it and go, I cant have no bring backs today. I stopped and looked him in the eyes and said, "buddy, do not tell me to hurry up and get it and go, I would never be put in this situation if the last driver of the last 3 trls would do their job, but I cant blame them for this, I blame every manager in this company cuz you dont hold no1 ACCOUNTABLE for their actions, that is the number one problem with this place, no one cares, no one wil get in trouble for things like this." but god for bid when I do job meaning pre-tripping the trl, you get loud with me and start saying why is it taking so long. does this happen to any of you on a daily basis? sry for the long story, just didnt know how to cut it down to size
Ex FedEx driver just flipped another set out of Dallas...The guy he was meeting flipped his set as well ..talk about two for the price of one...what are the odds of that...Maybe they were trying to meet in the same ditch...Pre-tripping is almost a waste of time here..post trip as well...I write tractors and trailers up four and five times and get them back a day or two later with nothing being done..Why write them up because no one will fix them..Its pointless...In Dallas we would have to swing every city rouths freight everyday because all trailers have problems unless your lucky enough to get a lease..Most city drivers just run with it because we would start out behind and have to listen to dispatch cry about all the bring backs. Safety should always be number one..here its last...Run with it or find another job..yep..The Vitran culture

§ 396.11Driver vehicle inspection report(s).
(a) Report required. (1) Motor carriers.Every motor carrier shall require its drivers to report, and every driver shall prepare a report in writing at the completion of each day's work on each vehicle operated, except for intermodal equipment tendered by an intermodal equipment provider. The report shall cover at least the following parts and accessories:
—Service brakes including trailer brake connections
—Parking brake
—Steering mechanism
—Lighting devices and reflectors
—Tires
—Horn
—Windshield wipers
—Rear vision mirrors
—Coupling devices
—Wheels and rims
—Emergency equipment
(2) Intermodal equipment providers. Every motor carrier shall require its drivers to report, and every driver shall prepare a report in writing at the completion of each day's work on each vehicle operated, except for intermodal equipment tendered by an intermodal equipment provider. The report shall cover at least the following parts and accessories:
—Brakes
—Lighting devices, lamps, markers, and conspicuity marking material
—Wheels, rims, lugs, tires
—Air line connections, hoses, and couplers
—King pin upper coupling device
—Rails or support frames
—Tie down bolsters
—Locking pins, clevises, clamps, or hooks
—Sliders or sliding frame lock
(b) Report content. The report shall identify the vehicle and list any defect or deficiency discovered by or reported to the driver which would affect the safety of operation of the vehicle or result in its mechanical breakdown. If no defect or deficiency is discovered by or reported to the driver, the report shall so indicate. In all instances, the driver shall sign the report. On two-driver operations, only one driver needs to sign the driver vehicle inspection report, provided both drivers agree as to the defects or deficiencies identified. If a driver operates more than one vehicle during the day, a report shall be prepared for each vehicle operated.
(c) Corrective action. Prior to requiring or permitting a driver to operate a vehicle, every motor carrier or its agent shall repair any defect or deficiency listed on the driver vehicle inspection report which would be likely to affect the safety of operation of the vehicle.
(1) Every motor carrier or its agent shall certify on the original driver vehicle inspection report which lists any defect or deficiency that the defect or deficiency has been repaired or that repair is unnecessary before the vehicle is operated again.
(2) Every motor carrier shall maintain the original driver vehicle inspection report, the certification of repairs, and the certification of the driver's review for three months from the date the written report was prepared.
(d) Exceptions. The rules in this section shall not apply to a private motor carrier of passengers (nonbusiness), a driveaway-towaway operation, or any motor carrier operating only one commercial motor vehicle.
[44 FR 38526, July 2, 1979, as amended at 45 FR 46425, July 10, 1980; 53 FR 18058, May 19, 1988; 59 FR 8753, Feb. 23, 1994; 63 FR 33279, June 18, 1998; 73 FR 76824, Dec. 17, 2008; 74 FR 68709, Dec. 29, 2009]

(a) Report required. (1) Motor carriers.Every motor carrier shall require its drivers to report, and every driver shall prepare a report in writing at the completion of each day's work on each vehicle operated, except for intermodal equipment tendered by an intermodal equipment provider. The report shall cover at least the following parts and accessories:

If I was your Boss, every day your work life would be a living hell until you quit and there would be nothing you could do about it!

We know the law....But if you wait for Vitran to fix something we would die of old age...Just carry your boguss pretrip for the DOT just in case you get stopped...City cops dont check most the time... Now line drivers is a different story...Tx troopers will check everything...We are bullied in tx...This is the real world at Vitran...Just cover your a##....No wonder we are being audited by the DOT....Maybe they can protect our life...

like I have been saying for a while on the board. I dont plan to stay with vitran much longer, so I dont want to gather up a bunch of points on my cdl, i have none so far and I would like to keep it like that, so if I get a trl with a problem with it and I have hot freight, well, u better believe u can find me at the shop with all the shop hands working on the problem, sometimes it looks like a nascar pit crew. do you all remember a month or 2 b4 the 72 hour dot inspection nightmare this year...... well I know at my barn the shop hand would go up and down the trls in the doors and inspect them all, and I am not kidding when I say that 60% of them got red tagged, it didnt matter if the trl was leaving now or 12hrs from now, it was up to the driver to take the trl out, and alot of the drivers did, thinking they would get some kind of prize. but once the 72 hrs were up, u didnt see no1 checking the trls, besides to `0% of the drivers that did their job on a daily basis...... sad is the only word that comes to mind with this subject:crybaby:

If I was your Boss, every day your work life would be a living hell until you quit and there would be nothing you could do about it!

And I would get you terminated just like I did in the past (pre-Vitran) I had the DOT crawl up his but for strong arming me into trying to take equipment placed out of service (which he was ticketed for based on my recorded conversations) I had my Lawyer call Corporate's Lawyer and discuss the basis for a civil rights lawsuit (it is a violation to order someone to break the law) and the harassment he was doing as a Fleet Supervisor towards a driver, which means the company could also be held liable. 35 minutes later he had his desk cleaned out and was leaving for good. All DVIR since then went straight to Safety Dept for review, and once a unit was placed out of service, only Safety could return it to service. i was there for another 9 years till they went belly up happy as could be

In a perfect world this company would do whats right and protect the safety of their employees...But this is Vitran..and how do you stop a runaway train? Hense forth my name...This company has great potential...But the reality is it MAY never reach it...We have the dreamers..the positive thinkers...But you cant move forward with your hands tied behind your back..Upper level management is just trying to keep their heads above water...Shareholders dont want to spend the money on a ship that i personally believe they think is sinking. They have much to lose..But their comes a time when you must cut your losses...Most you guys dont get it...The SHAREHOLDERS will become a VICTIM of their own demise..You cant play with the big boys if you are not willing to invest..OS&D will send this company into Chapter 11 or 13 if they dont solve the problems..And Freight 101 classes for the people that load these trailers is the anwser..But honestly do you think most of these part timers care.. You need leverage and accountablity that you can only get from a full time employee that has something to lose..Im gonna ride this train until it jumps the tracks..and rest assured it will if this company keeps cutting things they should be investing in..Would you stack a 2500 pound skid on top of some light bulbs?? These punk kids do that and worse..And the supervision that should be watching this is non- existant..Ever heard of re-couping a skid??? Or do we just clear the dock and let the driver worry about it? I think you know the anwser..Fleet supervisor means you have a shop...Dallas outsources shade tree mechanics..Recording? James Bond stuff..WOW. Try that in Dallas and you would get every sh** job we have..Sort & Seg ..ETC..Texas is like a whole other country...like Russia...maybe China too...You cant win here and they got you by the short hairs..Be glad you are where you're at..Our option is quit..and they will tell you that. We cant nic-pic tractor and trailers..We got lots of ground to cover..and freight to deliver..You know?? What we get paid to do..Sometimes my friend you gotta pick your battles...Win some and you lose some..we cover our as** with the DOT..God knows Vitran won't..I love my customers and parts of this job..Guess you just have to take the good with the bad..and play the cards you are dealt..Gotta feed my family.. Because in this life ..FAMILY IS A HAVEN..IN A HEARTLESS WORLD..

Last edited by a moderator:
happens everyday, but yesterday was our worst os&d day in months, driver were on dock re-stacking skids, ripping broken stringers off so we could get our jacks under them later, only a few made morning cut. supervisors that work all night into late morning should have all this at least planned BEFORE we get there, but some days it still is piece here and piece there then add it to our manifests later. the mainframe knows what and when and where it is going i am picking up based on tablets, so why does everyone else's freight seem like such a surprise to us when it arrives as an over-sized or non stack-able machine of some sort? we are overdue for a tablet update, i have asked for a "gone to lunch, en route to yard, oversize, and top stack only" buttons, haz mat and freezable are just not enough for the diversified freight we haul

This is the sad truth..We all are stuck here for now..So many a** kissers say if you dont like your job then quit...But its just not that simple when you have invested years in this company..To walk away and start over at the bottom. We are at the mercy of this new management team..we can only hope they can turn it around. It has taken years of mis-management to put this company in the mess its in..It only stands to reason it will take years to come out. If you read this thread on all comments from runawaytrain you will see how discouraged i have become..Believe it or not this company once was a joy to work for, before it got ran into the ground. Is there any reason for hope? I once enjoyed to come to work..Now ..not so much..The New Vitran..Chasing Greatness..These are things i could do if this company would just go back to the things that made it great in the first place...A belief that all the hard work we do would be rewarded. That things we do would not be in vain...and that in the end............................. we ...Vitran...would work as a team and grow...The problems we have can be solved..But ..we .. the labor..need management to lead us in the right direction....Or become a victim of your own demise..We Drive..You manage..or we will all lose in the end..

Last edited by a moderator:
Trainwreck...the fact is.....the terminal manager they fired here back in July was just sitting there letting the wrong things happen....FOR YEARS.....EVER SINCE HE CAME OVER FROM "you know where". He was a condisending....disrespectful....manager of people who really didn't get it. He literally watched the Chris Division of vitran Dallas operation come unglued and stood there and let it happen. He never did step up and take control of the dock situation...nor the drivers who were doing the wrong things. He would allow people to live on the clock as long as they came in and broke bread with him. Unfortunately for Vitran it was worse in Houston.....remember during the ice storm of 2011 when they trapped freight in the yard in Houston for over 3 months? What a joke.....Now look who they have dispatching in Dallas....some buffoon who's reputation amongst the other ltl drivers who know him are laughing at Vitran... Him and his buddy would meet up 25 miles from where they were supposed to be to eat dinner together then go back to their areas to ride the clock til 8pm? Oh that's right they have that other guy dispatching with him that had actually been terminated for isubordination but OLD TM who was his buddy allowed him back? The only person who didn't seem to care was that terminated TM. Hopefully Vitran will straighten out this disaster....otherwise it's going to be a mess. Sometimes things happen for a reason......I don't like seeing people lose their jobs.....but sometimes they deserve it. Good Luck.

Amen Slugbug...Dallas is a trainwreck...Playing favorites and letting seniority mean nothing creates resentments...They dont bid city rouths and let the good buddy system determine start times...Senior guys starting at 10....while new guys start at 7 ....There buddies that they got hired...Union's have fought for years to determine whats right when it comes to start times...Seniority was determined to be the fair way....No wonder the Teamsters are trying to get:cuss: in at Vitran Dallas

Everyone change your 401 (K) and buy Vitran stock,,hurry before they run out,,,,,,,, it's going up!!! :bouncy::hysterical::clappy::biglaugh::438::wtflol::bgroovy::bananapartyhat:

Exchange NASDAQ GS (US Dollar)
Price $5.12
Change (%) 0.24 (4.92%)

TM and OM were not fired, they quit because they were told to fire all the staff, drivers, and dock workers they had just hired to adequatly fill the new larger terminal. the mistake they made was in two parts: 1. rapid hiring of inexperienced personnel. 2. Spending before aquiring the new terminal.
When they came on board we were relatively maxxed out for production vs area to work, the only way to move foward was to increase in size, first the dock, then fleet and staff. They did it backwards which cost us a new dock. So here we are overstaffed w for the most part, useless or harmfull to our bottomline employees...The veteran drivers and crew that work office and dock have had to step up to cover for management that had no clue what they were doing wrong, and didnt want to know from us. Frustrating....yes, but there are no good days without bad days...hang tight guys:)

senority only gets you the amount of vacation, and thats it, cuz b4 the years u put in got you to a higher pay, but now the pay is the same for everyone. thats the part that is hard to swallow, and after the meeting, the nerve of some of the "leftover" drivers and dockhands from milan, had the nerve to say, "man what the heck is a quarter, this is a joke" I told him, " listen here " TEAM MEMBER since you have been here for one and a half yrs u have got 5% more pay, cuz it was never taken from you, like it was from me and a couple thousand others, and plus u just got a quarter, thats 5 raises since u have been here. do you know how much money I have got from this outfit? this dam quarter.... yeah thats right, in 5 years this is the first raise I have ever got, so y dont you shut up, and be happy that you came here when u did and not 5 yrs ago.......... and all week long all those "leftovers" aka milan hands, are all wining like little school girls, the nerve