Central Transport | Vitran ****** employees again

vijax

TB Lurker
Credits
My insurance went up $20 a week. How about yours? Now im paying over $6200 a year for the family plan. Most ltl companies are not even close to that.

And a large deductible to boot. Saia has a P&D opening here, I applied online this morning, Not only the starting wage is higher, there are scheduled raises, insurance at $10 a week for single, family was something like $35, but after 10 years they pay it for you.

I don't drive for your company. But how do you really know what your actual policy cost? Could the company have you paying for managements policies?
Is there some way that you can see what each policy cost? I was just wondering. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

we pay for the upper management policies. all the dockworkers ins policies that were cut has an affect on our rates as well.

They put 10 dollars of that increase on us...If you smoke thats 5 dollars...If your overweight and just a little out of shape thats 5 dollars...Now smoking i can understand...But being a little out of shape, Thats BS.....The next thing you know it will cost you 5 dollars if you dont sign in and out of the gym everyday. Basically telling you what you can and cannot eat is a bit to much.

we pay for the upper management policies. all the dockworkers ins policies that were cut has an affect on our rates as well.
If I understand you they could give management free insurance and pay for it from drivers payments. I was just wondering. I would like to know what the company actually pays for a policy per driver not the entire payment for the company. I bet I would be shocked to see what ABF pays for their management insurance policies. Thanks.

Most larger companies don't actually have insurance policies. They are self insured and use someone like Blue Cross or Cigna or Aetna to administer the payments. These companies agree with providers on set rates and pass them on to the self insured companies.

I'll bet you could find out what your company paid out in medical. You just have to get the annual filings with the SEC and check there. (Provided they are a publicly traded company.)

Most larger companies don't actually have insurance policies. They are self insured and use someone like Blue Cross or Cigna or Aetna to administer the payments. These companies agree with providers on set rates and pass them on to the self insured companies.

I'll bet you could find out what your company paid out in medical. You just have to get the annual filings with the SEC and check there. (Provided they are a publicly traded company.)
They must break them up because if you smoke your payment is different than a non smoker. And now I see where your weight can trigger a higher rate. Thanks though.

Your insurance rates are going up because you work for a company that has lost 10 million dollars through the 3rd quarter. As far as YOUR TEAMSTER BROTHER is concerned, you are only as successful, as the company that you work for. The Teamsters have nothing to do with the success of ABF, which I assume you work for. ABF is successful because of the folks in Ft. Smith, Ar, calling the shots. And they are successful while being tied down, and, restricted by union work rules, which is a victory in itself.

As a driver for a non union carrier, I really dislike the teamsters. When I started, most LTL carriers were union. However, 20 years later, where have they gone? The most successful carriers today (ODFL, SAIA, Central Transport, FXF, CNWY, Estes, R&L, SEFL, AAAC, Averitt, Pitt Ohio, etc..) are cancer, TEAMSTER, free.

Your insurance rates are going up because you work for a company that has lost 10 million dollars through the 3rd quarter. As far as YOUR TEAMSTER BROTHER is concerned, you are only as successful, as the company that you work for. The Teamsters have nothing to do with the success of ABF, which I assume you work for. ABF is successful because of the folks in Ft. Smith, Ar, calling the shots. And they are successful while being tied down, and, restricted by union work rules, which is a victory in itself.

As a driver for a non union carrier, I really dislike the teamsters. When I started, most LTL carriers were union. However, 20 years later, where have they gone? The most successful carriers today (ODFL, SAIA, Central Transport, FXF, CNWY, Estes, R&L, SEFL, AAAC, Averitt, Pitt Ohio, etc..) are cancer, TEAMSTER, free.
This is not the place for union or non union but if you would like to discuss that in the correct forum I will join in on your thread. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Whether you hate the union or love the union....You make the money you make because of the union...In The LTL industry we average between 21-24 an hour...You make that because the non-union carriers had to stay competitive with the master freight agreement...Look at UPS freight, dont blame the union, dont call them a cancer, thats unfair. Look at UPS parcel....The best of the best....The largest trucking company in the world...They are restricted by union rules...Its funny that after all the union has done to keep wages up in the LTL industry...Most of us make more than YRC because of their wage concessions..There are always two sides to every story...Try not to be so judgemental, my brother

Last edited by a moderator:
they are self insured i asked the person in charge of our benefits and asked how much was cobra. they told me &700 a month.
I don't drive for your company. But how do you really know what your actual policy cost? Could the company have you paying for managements policies?
Is there some way that you can see what each policy cost? I was just wondering. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

they are self insured i asked the person in charge of our benefits and asked how much was cobra. they told me &700 a month.
Thank you. Now would a non smopker or somebody in great shape pay $5.00 to $10.00 a week less?

LTL is Great,

Agree with you regarding teamsters putting companies down over the long run. But Vitran has not lost 10 million dollars through 3 quarters , they have lost just over 22 million dollars through 3 quarters. Insurance has gone sky high because Vitran is making employees absorb more and more cost because of their dire financial position. But I can assure you, Vitran city and road drivers don't pay any more than the rest of the employees for insurance, they all pay the same depending on what plan is picked.

I think Vijax posted while pissed, sometimes when mad its not good to communicate in any kind of way. The only thing that I seen that will really hurt someone in the health assesment when they come out to screen you at the terminal. A lot of people taking that discount for non-smokers will be caught, just stop smoking (easy for me to say) until after the assesment.

LTL is Great,

Agree with you regarding teamsters putting companies down over the long run. But Vitran has not lost 10 million dollars through 3 quarters , they have lost just over 22 million dollars through 3 quarters. Insurance has gone sky high because Vitran is making employees absorb more and more cost because of their dire financial position. But I can assure you, Vitran city and road drivers don't pay any more than the rest of the employees for insurance, they all pay the same depending on what plan is picked.
do you think chris keylon and the top brass have the same exact insurance that you and i have? not hardly.

Had Enough, I can assure you that CK and the top brass pay the same rates as the drivers and dock workers (though not many dockworkers are eligible for insurance). MY BROTHER TEAMSTER, I can assure you that in 10 years the LTL industry will be free of the cancer that you are selling on this message board (THE UNION). And it is sad, because the Union is why our wage scale is where it is today. However, the Union has NOT out lived its purpose. Go organize Walmart, McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc.. they need the union. The trucking industry NO LONGER needs representation.

Here is the bottom line. In the long term, the LTL industry will be dominated by CNFY, FXF, ODFL, SAIA, R&L, CT, Estes, AAC, SEFL, and Averitt. Let the "chips fall will they may". Therefore, if we are not employed by one of the ships listed above, we are on one that is sinkin

Check out Muler on ABF'S threads...Hes the moderator....He works for ABF to my understanding....MY BROTHER TEAMSTER IS NOT TO BE MESSED WITH...Check him out on ABF....And BTW....ABF aint sinking...I'm not pro union to set the record straight...You need to understand the history behind UNION'S in the USA....In the early 1900's they where needed...Why you are such a hater im not really sure...Greed in management and horrible working conditions are why they were created..Today things are a bit different...But you act as if all the elite companies you mention are saints...that they dont treat people wrong in any way..The union's still have a purpose...UAW...AND ALL THE OTHER'S BESIDE THE TEAMSTERS STILL HAVE A PURPOSE...IN THE USA AND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD..You strike me as being a little closed minded on other peoples point of view...Taking things a to serious...Relax dude...Its just a job..We are all pawns in this corporate world..All of us are replaceable...And the chips always fall where they may...But we never know where that may be.

Last edited by a moderator: