Central Transport | Vitran ****** employees again

ltl is great, i hope you're right on them having the same insurance as we do. at my prior jobs, the higher ups got a better ins pkg then the workers. i don't expect this place to be any different.

Your insurance rates are going up because you work for a company that has lost 10 million dollars through the 3rd quarter. As far as YOUR TEAMSTER BROTHER is concerned, you are only as successful, as the company that you work for. The Teamsters have nothing to do with the success of ABF, which I assume you work for. ABF is successful because of the folks in Ft. Smith, Ar, calling the shots. And they are successful while being tied down, and, restricted by union work rules, which is a victory in itself.

As a driver for a non union carrier, I really dislike the teamsters. When I started, most LTL carriers were union. However, 20 years later, where have they gone? The most successful carriers today (ODFL, SAIA, Central Transport, FXF, CNWY, Estes, R&L, SEFL, AAAC, Averitt, Pitt Ohio, etc..) are cancer, TEAMSTER, free.
And "Obama Care" has nothing to do with rising insurance rates? Really??

Hey ltl is great ABF is making money so don't you worry about that. We will be here for the long haul and do you really think UPS is going to fold. Thats just silly talk and those boys will be at 26 and change an hour with O/T after 8 and set health insurance costs. So you just keep thinking unions are cancer, no bad and greedy management is cancer.

Hey ltl is great ABF is making money so don't you worry about that. We will be here for the long haul and do you really think UPS is going to fold. Thats just silly talk and those boys will be at 26 and change an hour with O/T after 8 and set health insurance costs. So you just keep thinking unions are cancer, no bad and greedy management is cancer.

I have driven for both union and non-union carriers since 1981. When carriers are in financial trouble and are struggling to stay afloat, the pain to the employees is no different on either side of the fence. When Milne closed its doors, I swore I would never work union again. That lasted until I went to work for Yellow. When things got tough there, I decided to go the non-union route. I spent 9 years at Vitran before retiring from driving.

**** poor management seems to be the only thing that thrives these days. Fat cats drain companies of valuable dollars and then move on to other victims. My old man told me years ago that the fish stinks from the head down. That is as true a statement today as was 40 years ago.

Accountability doesn't seem to apply to the corporate thugs. I have never understood why shareholders would reward the top cheese for running the company into the ground.

ltl1....26 an hour is for UPS Freight.....UPS Parcel makes 33 an hour plus change....The largest trucking company in the world thrive with unions...Its nice to have a union stewart next to me when you are called in to be ganged up on by management...To have a witness in case things get out of control...Management cant railroad drivers just because they have a personal agenda against someone that said something they didnt like...And if you fire someone you better have your ducks in a row...Because you will have more than the EEOC or dept of labor on you azz....

The most important thing to do if you find yourself in a hole....Is to stop digging....Warren Buffett. But what does a Billionaire know? As Vitran gets ready to enter 2013 on shakey ground...Chris Keylon has a job to do...To try and cut cost while growing revenue....Thousands of jobs depend on this FexEx guru to turn this company around. As the former FexEx's senior vice president of operations is about to find out...Vitran USA is not FedEx....We dont have the deep pockets...So if you are able to save this company from the brink of collapse...If you are able to save thousands of Vitrans job...If you can shake your team members out of apathy by giving them some positive news by turning a profit in 2013...Then you will have done what many before you have not...YOUR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ltl1....26 an hour is for UPS Freight.....UPS Parcel makes 33 an hour plus change....The largest trucking company in the world thrive with unions...Its nice to have a union stewart next to me when you are called in to be ganged up on by management...To have a witness in case things get out of control...Management cant railroad drivers just because they have a personal agenda against someone that said something they didnt like...And if you fire someone you better have your ducks in a row...Because you will have more than the EEOC or dept of labor on you azz....

I here ya runaway, I was using UPS freight to keep the comparsion apples to apples. UPS parcel is a beast all to themselves.How anyone would work for fx ground just blows my mind.

Some people will always hate the union....I suppose its the stigma that is associated with it from the days of Hoffa...All the corruption that happened in those years..As i prepare to retire in the next few years i can do so comfortably because i am debt free...And have a large sum of money saved..So many of my friends say i should wait until i'm 65 or 66 when medicare will kick in. But im going at 62...I have more than enough money to purchase some sort of supplemental health care plan. As i just sit back and read all that "Muler" is dealing with on ABF"s threads i can't help but wonder...If all those people were debt free and made good financial decision's their whole lives would it still be such a big issue...I wont comment on what is going on at ABF...But let me say this...Listen to Brother Muler...He's got your best interest at heart...And then listen to me...Get out of debt and stay out of debt. And retire as soon as you can so you can enjoy life to the fullest...There are no guarantee's about your health...Without that you have NOTHING ...And all the money in the world cant buy you one more minute when your time comes..

damn right im pissed. im tired of paying for vitrans management mistakes. why should we have to pay for something while other ltl dont even come close. we also dont have a retirement match for the last 4 years, no profit sharing or bonuses anymore, drive junk, cut our pay 5% for years, and get a 25 cents raises and then get hit with $20 a more a week for insurance. why wouldnt i be. but i still have a job for now but thats not looking to good either.
I think Vijax posted while pissed, sometimes when mad its not good to communicate in any kind of way. The only thing that I seen that will really hurt someone in the health assesment when they come out to screen you at the terminal. A lot of people taking that discount for non-smokers will be caught, just stop smoking (easy for me to say) until after the assesment.

Some people will always hate the union....I suppose its the stigma that is associated with it from the days of Hoffa...All the corruption that happened in those years..As i prepare to retire in the next few years i can do so comfortably because i am debt free...And have a large sum of money saved..So many of my friends say i should wait until i'm 65 or 66 when medicare will kick in. But im going at 62...I have more than enough money to purchase some sort of supplemental health care plan. As i just sit back and read all that "Muler" is dealing with on ABF"s threads i can't help but wonder...If all those people were debt free and made good financial decision's their whole lives would it still be such a big issue...I wont comment on what is going on at ABF...But let me say this...Listen to Brother Muler...He's got your best interest at heart...And then listen to me...Get out of debt and stay out of debt. And retire as soon as you can so you can enjoy life to the fullest...There are no guarantee's about your health...Without that you have NOTHING ...And all the money in the world cant buy you one more minute when your time comes..
I have never heard it said any better. A man's life is worth more than money. We work for the benefit of others for the most part. Our wives,Husbands and children.
We by choice or by necessity became Truck Drivers and Dockworkers Is that a crime for which we are to be punished. Is ABF perfect HELL NO! Is Vitran NO!
It is not even a question of being union or not. It is a HUMAN THING!
Is it too much to ask that we be treated with respect and dignity. Is being a Truck Driver a reason to be treated as less than?
I hope not. Is it too much to ask that we be paid for a job that has been proven to shorten our lives. That recent studies have shown due to lack of sleep and a constant change in eating and sleeping habits one takes years off of their lives. One recent study has proven that Truck Driver sitting in their trucks for hours at a time takes years off their life expectancy.
This is not a call for you all to join the union. It is a call to say I believe we all deserve better. I just posted on a thread in the ABF Forum where our CEO of ABC made $1,347,407.00 last year and our top level city drivers may make $80,000.00 a year. At that rate it will take the driver 16.8 years of working the max hours weekly to equal one year of her pay. So in two years she will earn what it will take a Driver 33.6 years to earn. A WHOLE CAREER!
Are we that less than as the Drivers and Dockworkers? Again I hope not. You Brothers at Vitran have issues that are not of your doings and some that are. If we don't load trailers right then damages occur that is our fault. If we do not get to our destinations on time that is our fault.
But when a company is deep in debt it is the fault of the management. When we are not given the proper equipment too do our jobs correctly it is not our fault. You Brothers at Vitran our in trouble and as far as being an outsider looking in it appears management dropped the ball. You have but two choices.#1 you can give up and run. or #2 You can pull yourselves up by your boot straps and demand that your management turns thing around immediately or the end will not be far away. Don't be afraid to stand up and tell them as a whole the BUCK STOPS HERE! I know from reading your posts(By the way I think you all have one of the best forums on this site) that you all can get it done. I don't mean for you Brothers to take less compensation I mean for you all to stop taking any CRAP! I hope the best for you all and if worse comes to worse I hope to see many of you at ABF! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

I have never heard it said any better. A man's life is worth more than money. We work for the benefit of others for the most part. Our wives,Husbands and children.
We by choice or by necessity became Truck Drivers and Dockworkers Is that a crime for which we are to be punished. Is ABF perfect HELL NO! Is Vitran NO!
Is it too much to ask that we be treated with respect and dignity. Is being a Truck Driver a reason to be treated as less than?
I hope not. Is it too much to ask that we be paid for a job that has been proven to shorten our lives. That recent studies have shown due to lack of sleep and a constant change in eating and sleeping habits one takes years off of their lives. One recent study has proven that Truck Driver sitting in their trucks for hours at a time takes years off their life expectancy.
This is not a call for you all to join the union. It is a call to say I believe we all deserve better. I just posted on a thread in the ABF Forum where our CEO of ABC made $1,347,407.00 last year and our top level city drivers may make $80,000.00 a year. At that rate it will take the driver 16.8 years of working the max hours weekly to equal one year of her pay. So in two years she will earn what it will take a Driver 33.6 years to earn. A WHOLE CAREER!
Are we that less than as the Drivers and Dockworkers? Again I hope not. You Brothers at Vitran have issues that are not of your doings and some that are. If we don't load trailers right then damages occur that is our fault. If we do not get to our destinations on time that is our fault.
But when a company is deep in debt it is the fault of the management. When we are not given the proper equipment too do our jobs correctly it is not our fault. You Brothers at Vitran our in trouble and as far as being an outsider looking in it appears management dropped the ball. You have but two choices.#1 you can give up and run. or #2 You can pull yourselves up by your boot straps and demand that your management turns thing around immediately or the end will not be far away. Don't be afraid to stand up and tell them as a whole the BUCK STOPS HERE! I know from reading your posts(By the way I think you all have one of the best forums on this site) that you all can get it done. I don't mean for you Brothers to take less compensation I mean for you all to stop taking any CRAP! I hope the best for you all and if worse comes to worse I hope to see many of you at ABF! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Excellent post Muler. ABF is well known for their excellent freight handling and low claims ratio compared to the rest of the larger LTL super regionals and national carriers. Guessing that has a lot to do with the employees having a vested interest and feeling of ownership in the company. The opposite would be the dock workers at Vitran who have been stripped of their healthcare and limited to 30 hours a week. Damages rose dramatically when this change went into effect several months ago.

You have every right to be pissed Vijax, but try not to be consumed with anger, because thats when they really win...And that's not to say you are...Vitran will become a victim of their own demise...There **** poor management choices....and yes, they are choices that will cost them and maybe thousands of Vitran jobs. We all have went the extra mile for this company, only to be slapped in the face. Its no wonder that apathy in its employee's is sealing their fate. Because when you neglect what is the back bone (employee's) of any company you destroy the the foundation it sits on. Maybe Chris can right this ship...maybe not...But you are a profession truck driver that can find another job. Its frustrating that all the time you have spent here could be in vain....But look at all the trucking companies in the bone yard on this very site...Many driver's have started over and got right back in the LTL field...Its not easy starting back over at the bottom..And you gotta pay your dues all over..But i damn sure wont let this company take from me the very thing i have fought my whole life for...Self-respect and dignity..We will pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off, And be happier than we ever were..IN THE END.

Speaking of trucking in general and not a specific company.Alot of drivers dont pick their battles very well.They constantly whine about anything related to their job,so when they do have a legit complaint,it falls on deaf ears.No trucking job is perfect,as one can attest by reading the different forums.I also know from experience,that a driver can easily get in over his head financially.Just because its good now dont mean it will be good when the bills come due.Keeping a good driving record,live within your means,and always leave options open are things we should all strive for.Again,this is my opinion on trucking in general.

A opinion i share as well my brother...So many dont pick their battles well...I spend lots of time on other companies threads and the things they say at times really amaze me. But just so you know even when we have a legit complaint at Vitran it always falls on deaf ears...Its just Vitrans culture...

No man is worth his salt who is not ready at all times to risk his body, to risk his well being,to risk his life,in a great cause, Theodore Roosevelt. I have always thought it pathetic that so many don't have the courage to stand up for what they believe. That was a great post, yet so many have nothing to say about it...The Mule man speaks great wisdom..Yet so many dont care to comment. Like he said... its not about being union or non-union...Its a HUMAN THING.... I personally think they want to distance themselves from him because he's in the union...He talks about our life as a trucker...How its been proven to shorten our lifes...Think about all the fumes we breathe in...all the carcinogen's we breathe in as trucker's...Are we that shallow as human being's as to not comment on that...The money issue's he speaks of on the CEO is true. But i could understand not wanting to beat a dead horse on that subject...But our health...Come on guys....Anyway Mule man if you ever come back to visit us...GREAT POST!!!!

muler you said it like it should be said. I came to Vitran early in 08, it was a better then average LTL job then, but all it took was some not so smart investments over and over again, and this is where we are at today. we havent turned a profit since 3rd quarter of 08 I think. I have stuck it out with never getting a raise until this past month. 00.25 cents. that was a spit in the face if I ever seen one. There is way too many brown nosers trying to get ahead of the next guy, there is no law and order with this company, hell you can ask the workers thats started from 2009 to this present day, and ask them what are one of the rules at vitran, or what is their attendence policy. you know what they willl tell you? " well I heard it was like this or, I think someone told it was like that"....... THATS BECUZ THEY QUIT HANDED RULE/POLICY BOOKS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It is pure ignorance to sit behind the desk and tell your employees what ever rules they want to tell them, and they change on a daily basis. We have turned into the laughing stock of the LTL business. You have new hires getting the weekend work when you have people that want the work who have been there for many years, why you ask? its for a cut rate. top pay linehaul varys from .611 cpm- .545 cpm. but the starting pay .39cpm- .435cpm. And the T.M's across the board will all tell you now " this is a non-union truckline, so your senority means nothing here, the only thing its good for is how many vacation days you get a year. So this is why next week I will be leaving Vitran. I will be going to a company in which (ltl is great) would calll it " a cancer". I need the law and order in my work place, I am tired of geting stepped on like some little cockroach............. thank you and good night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muler you said it like it should be said. I came to Vitran early in 08, it was a better then average LTL job then, but all it took was some not so smart investments over and over again, and this is where we are at today. we havent turned a profit since 3rd quarter of 08 I think. I have stuck it out with never getting a raise until this past month. 00.25 cents. that was a spit in the face if I ever seen one. There is way too many brown nosers trying to get ahead of the next guy, there is no law and order with this company, hell you can ask the workers thats started from 2009 to this present day, and ask them what are one of the rules at vitran, or what is their attendence policy. you know what they willl tell you? " well I heard it was like this or, I think someone told it was like that"....... THATS BECUZ THEY QUIT HANDED RULE/POLICY BOOKS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It is pure ignorance to sit behind the desk and tell your employees what ever rules they want to tell them, and they change on a daily basis. We have turned into the laughing stock of the LTL business. You have new hires getting the weekend work when you have people that want the work who have been there for many years, why you ask? its for a cut rate. top pay linehaul varys from .611 cpm- .545 cpm. but the starting pay .39cpm- .435cpm. And the T.M's across the board will all tell you now " this is a non-union truckline, so your senority means nothing here, the only thing its good for is how many vacation days you get a year. So this is why next week I will be leaving Vitran. I will be going to a company in which (ltl is great) would calll it " a cancer". I need the law and order in my work place, I am tired of geting stepped on like some little cockroach............. thank you and good night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally someone that has a good set of balls

hey train, I am that guy who stands up for "himself" on a daily basis, I have gone over my T.M's head a hand full of times. Most the time it did not change anything, all it got me was a mad dog look when he seen me, and I didnt get called for Linehaul work on the weekend for about 2 months straight. But one time when I called HR about an issue with the T.M. when he was talking about things he wasent supposed to in front of a crowd, (medical issues) well he got a call right away, cuz that can certainly turn into something he doesnt want it to. All I did was start a fire that got to big for me to put out. I tried and I was unsuccessful in trying to change things around there. long story short, his boss doesnt want to be bothered with issues of that nature, all corprate wants are the numbers and if the numbers r in order, they can care less about the (backbone) aka me and u's problems........... good luck train. today I hit the powerball!!!!!!!!!! well my own version that is. when that phone rang and head of HR from (cancer) gave me my start date. I dont like using the word cancer, but I thought it was hysterical when LTL is great used that word for unions. He must have been laid off or fired or something bad must of happened with a union truck line to have that much hate for union lines