Central Transport | Vitran Rhetoric

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
Managements rhetoric will never change anything. Having said that lets all speculate how much time we have left...We have been predicted to be out of business by now. Are we standing on the brink of bankruptcy? How long can we realistically survive in the red? YRC has survived years in the red,,,,,,and yes I know they have been propped up by special interest so maybe thats not a fair comparison. But many LTL companies have survived in the red for many years. And yes I know we have been losing money for awhile and thats why I'm asking for some educated realistic predictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think Vitran will close the doors. A restructure in bankruptcy maybe, I think Canada will bail it out or sell it before bankruptcy is allowed. Maybe sell of part of it or something.

Vitran will probably close their doors the day after you turn down another job because you think Vitran is finally gonna make it! It's hard to tell, it's like playing "Hot Potato" with your future.

Maybe be we'll be like central freight! Still here 25% of what we where but hanging on like a dingle berry.

I do not think Vitran will close the doors. A restructure in bankruptcy maybe, I think Canada will bail it out or sell it before bankruptcy is allowed. Maybe sell of part of it or something.

There would never be a restructure, the market would not allow or support it folks. Canada , if they want to sell Vitran had better get damn busy and fast because at the rate of loss, we will run out of cash by years end and then it will be an orderly shutdown of the USA operations. I suppose since we paid off our 45 million in loans that were gotten off using assets as collateral, we could always go and borrow another 45 million there after we burn through the 50 million left from the logistics sale. But, I doubt RG would put up with this nonsense moving forward. If we burn through the 50 million left by years end or shortly thereafter, RG will spin Vitran USA into a holding company and I would predict that the operation would shut down within a year or so. I worked for several carriers that did just that over the years. Vitran cannot continue to lose 5 million per month ( and we have heard the loss from Jan+Feb= $13 million). 1st Q results will be out probably mid may and it will not be pretty.

I doubt that 50 million is in the states. I imagine that money is safely tucked away in canadian dollars in canada. If junior wants a new bike he has to take to dad.

Ok this is what I think....If we are not in the black sometime in 2013 we will be ask to take a pay cut again....All of us including managers....If we can't get the operation ratio in the upper 90's then we will start to faulter....They are being really frugal with the money that remains...Even a O.R. of 99.5 would sustain us for awhile....If we stay in the 100's we can buy more time with a pay cut....I can't see a restructure although its most certainly not off the table. A holding company is possible but that would tank the stock.....And the investors wouldn't like it...So where does that leave us?? This company has many options before they throw in the towel....If sales can't bring on some good paying accounts then I see the end sometime in 2014, probably in the 3rd quarter after they have exhausted all avenues. This is crunch time and we have 2 years in my opinion to turn things around. We can buy that much time....But losing the way we are now, the future is certainly not bright....Again 2 years tops. If they chose to borrow again we may make it into 2015....Every is on the sales department, we will rise or fall depending on them....Period.

The big v will keep goin, the banks will never absorbe the amount of debt they cause eventually, ( just like yellow and roadway) what will the banks do with everything they would have to repo......nothing, its to much, vitran will keep cutting back and try to keep goin as long as they can....just my 2 cents.

High raises and fast fires! If you make good money you value your job. FedEx freight gets to chances in three years and your gone! But if I was making 60cpm I would value my job a lot more to. No slack and it should be from top to bottom.

I think a lot of drivers at Vitran do not realize this. It is easy for us to get on here and complain about money and benefits. I am guilty of it too-I do not balance that with what is expected of us (except it does appear now we are going to be held to a fed ex standard with Vitran pay)

I have good friends at Vitran that I talk to every day and like. When I hear them talk about leaving to get a job at Fed Ex, OD etc etc I think to myself "you just won't make it." Unless you see both ends of every leaf spring on the trailers you pull, every brake shoe you operate, look at every line of manifest or delivery bill, show up ready to do the job to the best of your ability every day it just wont last.

In some ways the worst thing Vitran has done to us is be a bad parent by letting us by with too much. I have seen more than two guys leave for truly better jobs and come back to Vitran in less than three months.

Some time ago I saw Vitran was not meeting my standards so I raised them. I cannot raise my pay, but every day I go in I choose to do a better more thorough job than is expected of me. This has zero to do with my feelings or thoughts about vitran. It has everything to do with practicing for a better job, self esteem, and most importantly my CSA score. (self esteem comes from a spiritual program)

I understand there are far worse trucking jobs like OTR, but I also know there are far better LTL jobs. As it stands Vitran is basic training for a top notch LTL job. If the Big V sinks or I get that call I am already, to the best of my knowledge, practicing great habits for the LTL industry.

If Vitran ups it's game enough to keep me then I am already doing the job to match the pay and probably will not be made an example of.

High raises and fast fires! If you make good money you value your job. FedEx freight gets to chances in three years and your gone! But if I was making 60cpm I would value my job a lot more to. No slack and it should be from top to bottom.

It's never been just about money for me....So much unhappiness it seems to me is due to nerves, and bad nerves are the result of having nothing to do, or doing a thing badly, unsuccessfully or incompetently.. Of all the unhappy people in the world, the unhappiest are those who have not found something they want to do. True happiness comes to those who do their work well, followed by a relaxing and refreshing period of rest. True happiness comes from the right amount of work for the day....For me true satisfaction in life doesn't come from money and things. But from the realization of a job well done. THEREIN LIES THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE JOURNEYMAN WORKER AND A REAL CRAFTSMAN. Do your best, not because your work is worth it, but because you are. The only way to keep character up to standard is by continually living up to the highest standard in all you do....Don't do it because Vitran expects it....Do it because you expect it from yourself. Just my thoughts after a couple shots of the crown...Been a hard day brothers

i was told by someone i know who works at another ltl carrier in their upper management today. vitran will never make a profit. its to top heavy with too many upper management( ex fed ex ) and their pay to make money.
Managements rhetoric will never change anything. Having said that lets all speculate how much time we have left...We have been predicted to be out of business by now. Are we standing on the brink of bankruptcy? How long can we realistically survive in the red? YRC has survived years in the red,,,,,,and yes I know they have been propped up by special interest so maybe thats not a fair comparison. But many LTL companies have survived in the red for many years. And yes I know we have been losing money for awhile and thats why I'm asking for some educated realistic predictions.

i was told by someone i know who works at another ltl carrier in their upper management today. vitran will never make a profit. its to top heavy with too many upper management( ex fed ex ) and their pay to make money.
We have two years tops....I'm not listening to Keylons broken promises anymore....This company has created APATHY in almost all of its employees....He can cheerlead to the cows come home...Its up to him to shake us out of APATHY and inspire us that things are getting better...I'm done with his song and dance...I want action not lip service....It sickens me that he hasn't learned by now that just because you come from FedX doesn't mean you are guaranteed success....How many have walked out on him....I can't even count them....Too many at the top is just part of the problem......It runs so much deeper than that...He better get it together because 2 years is about all he's got. APATHY according to Webster's .....Lack of feeling or emotion.....impassiveness.....lack of interest or concern.....indifference....Yep, that sounds about right. Most of us simply don't care anymore.

We have two years tops....I'm not listening to Keylons broken promises anymore....This company has created APATHY in almost all of its employees....He can cheerlead to the cows come home...Its up to him to shake us out of APATHY and inspire us that things are getting better...I'm done with his song and dance...I want action not lip service....It sickens me that he hasn't learned by now that just because you come from FedX doesn't mean you are guaranteed success....How many have walked out on him....I can't even count them....Too many at the top is just part of the problem......It runs so much deeper than that...He better get it together because 2 years is about all he's got. APATHY according to Webster's .....Lack of feeling or emotion.....impassiveness.....lack of interest or concern.....indifference....Yep, that sounds about right. Most of us simply don't care anymore.

+1 brother! I applied at a few places today, a couple yesterday. 2 years is a good amount of time to find a "quality" company to work for :15: