Central Transport | Vitran will stand alone?

Iceman1257

TB Lurker
Credits
So what I have learned is this guy should keep us running as a stand alone company.
He owns other ltl companies .
And put technology to work. He didn't buy us for our lanes or our customers.
He will work to have us show a profit. Or use us as a tax shelter.
We will how ever be rebranded.
We probably won't see any raise in pay or benefits.
And we will not be publicly traded so we don't have to show profit to keep investors happy.
He will make money off of us.
This guy doesn't buy something without a game plan.
We have to sit back and watch what happens or jump ship.

Look at all the used forklifts, truck and trailer tires, dollies, office furniture, computers, an owned terminal here and there, that he got for a measly 2million...now Central won't have to take a tire off a city truck to run linehaul at night, just to put it back on the city truck in the morning...LMAO

Not going to happen. Each company will operate separately for now with both companies becoming one in the coming months.
That's a fact.
Central is the only LTL company he owns. He owns other TL companies but only one LTL.
The LTL world is too cut throat. Why would he want his too companies competing?
It will be one company with in 6 months or so. Central has twice as many terminals, they will slowly absorb the fright, what employees they want and close the others out. They will sell most of the crap equipment and buy new stuff.
Say what you want about Central....they make money and Vitran lost there @$$!

manny will screw us money wise before 2014 and then pick and choose terminals and employees after that. get your bills caught up and start looking now. don't believe any of the b.s. they will tell you because it will all be lies. this move only benefits manny.

manny will screw us money wise before 2014 and then pick and choose terminals and employees after that. get your bills caught up and start looking now. don't believe any of the b.s. they will tell you because it will all be lies. this move only benefits manny.
I agree with had enough. And remember if you quit you get no unemployment, if you get laid off and find some work you can collect partials while you find yourself your next employer.

Do you really believe that? Based on your opinion or facts.
Trust me based on fact look for a new job. All I can say is
I know people within and the word is hostile takeover.

I agree with had enough. And remember if you quit you get no unemployment, if you get laid off and find some work you can collect partials while you find yourself your next employer.
Good advice from ABFer and had enough. I went through the same thing twice before retiring. This guy will "milk" Vitran of any valuable property like terminals, rolling stock and anything else that is paid for free and clear, then dump whatever is left. It happened at two of the companies I was with. Central employees should be worried, too. Many overlapping terminals or office staff will be gone. Why pay two people when one can do it? This guy is only in it for the money (his), he couldn't care less about you house pmts or family. Good luck, "Life's a *****, Then You Die".

So whats left to say?
Take off and have a nice life.
There is a lot of info to go through
Make a decision that fits you best.
I've been advised to hang on for the time being.
And see if I like any of the changes.
But also to use that time to see if better opportunities open up.
But I bet I see a lot of the same guys posting on this board for a long time

You mean they make enough money for HIS pocket....obviously not enough to update equipment, or pay enough to keep anybody around very long.

You mean update equipment like bankrupt Vitran did? Like that?
With basketball size holes in trailers and a 4x4 post holding up a dash in a tractor?
Or how about the pond size holes they have in the Vitran yards?

I'm glad mostly everyone thinks there too good for CT when coming from a bankrupt
crap hole of Vitran. Keep thinking that and you will be on unemployment quickly

You mean update equipment like bankrupt Vitran did? Like that?
With basketball size holes in trailers and a 4x4 post holding up a dash in a tractor?
Or how about the pond size holes they have in the Vitran yards?

I'm glad mostly everyone thinks there too good for CT when coming from a bankrupt
crap hole of Vitran. Keep thinking that and you will be on unemployment quickly
Man, you haven't seen crap equipment yet!!

Good advice from ABFer and had enough. I went through the same thing twice before retiring. This guy will "milk" Vitran of any valuable property like terminals, rolling stock and anything else that is paid for free and clear, then dump whatever is left. It happened at two of the companies I was with. Central employees should be worried, too. Many overlapping terminals or office staff will be gone. Why pay two people when one can do it? This guy is only in it for the money (his), he couldn't care less about you house pmts or family. Good luck, "Life's a *****, Then You Die".
If history repeats itself look at Watkins then it was fed ex national & now its fed ex freight or look at roadway/yellow it took a while & lost a ton of money but the 2 are now 1.... But you never know... Good luck to all...

Get out while you can. I'm a YRC driver and lot of our terminals are looking for good drivers, both city and road. Get on the computer and put in your app. Good luck guys!

LTLGuy2013 is correct.

Operating multiple truck load carriers is completely different than operating multiple LTL carriers. The costs of operating a TL carrier are flat across the board. The only costs are the tractor, trailer, fuel, insurance, and, driver. If the trailer is full, regardless of the logo on the trailer, the asset is earning its maximum return on investment. LTL is completely different. If anyone thinks for one minute that Vitran Express and Central Transport will operate as two separate business units, they are crazy, and have not paid attention to what has transpired in the LTL industry the last ten years. Roadway and Yellow were going to operate as separate business units.. Fed Ex Freight and Fed Ex National, how ironic is that, were going to operate as separate entities. USF Dugan and USF Holland, again, overlap, YRCW made the smart decision to shut down the less profitable of the two carriers. In my opinion, this is no different than Ford deciding to close the Mercury Division. Think about it, other than the price of the vehicle, what was the difference between a Ford Crown Vic and a Mercury Marquis?

To make this simple, if my wife had a CDL, a tractor, and, a trailer, her truck line could be called "She Trucking". I could then have a tractor and a trailer and be "He Trucking". The costs of us operating out the same town would not be any different regardless, if the logo on the equipment is the same or not. However, if "She Trucking" and He Trucking" were an LTL carrier, each would have their own terminals, property taxes,terminal staff, light bills, etc... etc... all in the same city or town.

If Yellow-Roadway and Fed Ex Freight - Fed Ex National had the capacity to merge operations, I am certain that CT and Vitran Express have the same available capacity within their networks, to do the same.

Not going to happen. Each company will operate separately for now with both companies becoming one in the coming months.
That's a fact.
Central is the only LTL company he owns. He owns other TL companies but only one LTL.
The LTL world is too cut throat. Why would he want his too companies competing?
It will be one company with in 6 months or so. Central has twice as many terminals, they will slowly absorb the fright, what employees they want and close the others out. They will sell most of the crap equipment and buy new stuff.
Say what you want about Central....they make money and Vitran lost there @$$!

I agree with most of this, however, I am not sure we can know CT has been making money. They are a private company so that info is not out there that I know of.

I agree with most of this, however, I am not sure we can know CT has been making money. They are a private company so that info is not out there that I know of.

manny is a multi billionaire and owns half of the Detroit metro area,including a run down abandoned train station. you don't do that unless your making money

Central makes money. There Moto is simple.affordable.reliable.
They don't sell service. They tell customers there not the fastest. They want the freight that may take an extra day,
that's not service sensitive and get it there in one piece. There tracking is a thousand times better than Vitran. There is no lost freight
at central. There freight is scanned on and off of every trailer and that freight is accounted for 100% of the time. There is no "dock checks"
or "statusing" freight. There is no crazy service exceptions added...if it's late, it's late. They are currently mid 90's on time.
When I was at Vitran we could "cheat" a 85% on time. It was NEVER accurate. Our VP told us if it's late put a BS code it and add a service day to it.

Central is Matty's baby....It was his first company he owned and will always be around.
Not making money is simply not an option.

Get out while you can. I'm a YRC driver and lot of our terminals are looking for good drivers, both city and road. Get on the computer and put in your app. Good luck guys!

Work for YRC, make good money for 6 months then go on lay off. Drivers here have been with YRC for 20 years and still go on lay off 2-3 times a year. Work all hours of the day and on call most days.

No thanks. Give me $17-$18/hour and a steady pay check 12 months of the year.