Central Transport | Vitran will stand alone?

keep in mind that health insurance and pension aren't guaranteed. If you live in the area covered by the central states fund I would be concerned about the long term promises, at some point the teamsters are going to have to deal with the funding issue. I'm not anti union, UPS is looking for semi drivers right now but it is seasonal, if it were full time you would see me doing a burnout in Vitran's lot to get over there.
If you live in the Chicagoland area I would advise you to go to UPS and take that seasonal feeder job because once the season is over, most of the seasonals are offered permanent positions. If you have some money in savings to float you through, it's well worth it in the long run.

No unemployment if you walk, better have a Plan B to walk into. :6799:

x2. Have a plan B. Whatever you do, don't walk until you have something else lined up. Don't get yourself fired because it will not look good to a prospective employer. Grin and bare it until you get something better.

x2. Have a plan B. Whatever you do, don't walk until you have something else lined up. Don't get yourself fired because it will not look good to a prospective employer. Grin and bare it until you get something better.

When I changed jobs Vitran said to my current employer they have no record of me ever working there. I dug up W-2's to prove employment. So Vitran saying you were fired is the least anybody should worry about.

Y'all get out while you can before they just close the gates on you!
Be smart!!!!
I was with vitran for years & years till 2 months ago
& I must say it's a breath of fresh air to be away!
Good luck!!!!

If you plan on leaving be smart. Do not wait until everyone wants to leave. Take a quick count of PD and LH drivers in your terminal. Then, imagine all of you are going to the good carriers in your area competing for one of a few jobs.

The drivers who wait the longest to leave will have little to choose from and may wind up OTR-gone all month for $.30 a mile.

Too, if you apply now for a good job it will take at least a month before you could start. That gives you a month to see what unfolds at V CT. If Vitran offers you so much that you cannot stand to leave in a month call the new job and tell them your employer wanted to keep you and made you an offer too good to turn down.

I started doing this the Monday morning of the announcement. So far I have seen or heard nothing to make me call off the apps I put in.

I am posting this advice today because yesterday I did my fourth and final application to a great carrier. I want to encourage everyone to better themselves, but not to jump in front of me. ;)

A.D. Transport in Canton, MI is always looking for drivers. A fair/good company to work for with very good equiptment. I worked city for 7 yrs before, they indefinately laid me off after I got hurt on the job and filed a claim against the place where I was hurt at in Ohio. Unknown on OTR, Definitly worth a phone call.

Pitt Ohio is also looking for drivers. You can search jobs on their website. Pretty good job with employer fully paying for health ins.

If you live in an area that has a Saddle Creek Logistics terminal, APPLY THERE. I think most terminals are hiring now. Jim works for the Charlotte terminal and man, is he EVER glad to have escaped the Vitanic. Pay is better; I'm not happy with the health insurance but it's no worse than what Vitran provided. If you want GOOD insurance, get a job with US Airways, they are about the only place that gives up to 100% coverage as an option but be warned, 95% or so are hired on as part time ( only rarely do they hire on straight to full time).

Anyway, back on track. SCL has well-maintained equipment, and puts GPS on both tractor AND trailers (hot button for me, since I'm an admin for the Missing Truck Driver Alert Network lol). No-idle policy but they only have a couple of sleepers in the fleet so idling shouldn't even be an issue. They also received an award from the Feds for having worked towards running a "clean fleet;" they have several CNG rigs and the fleet is positioned, at the moment, to be 100% CNG by next year. Yet have numerous positive write-ups in many leading publications (general business and transportation-specific). But don't believe me - read it for yourself, starting with their website. Oh, and be sure to check out their CSA scores. I'm sure Vitran hasn't seen comparable scores in several years.. SCL is all about safety. And they treat their drivers better than most companies I've seen.