R&L | Volvo?

chickenwing

TB Lurker
Credits
Has anyone seen any of the new Volvos yet. I was told by numerous sources that they're starting to arrive in WIL. I wonder if they will be any better then the Macks. I know of one of the WIL drivers running a Mack with a Volvo motor under the hood. He said it runs circles around the Mack motors. I guess they finally realize that 330hp just doesn't cut it in the freight bussiness. Hopefully if the Volvos work out, they will be a little more reliable then there sisters. My Mack just turned 260k miles and is now on its 3rd turbo. :duh:

I guess it will be awhile until we see anything new in ATL. I wonder how many miles they'll run these trucks? Over half of the linehaul trucks have over a million miles on them. We used to get rid of them before that when they had some value on the used market. Now we rebuild them and keep em. Heard someone say awhile back that they would run them to 1.5 million and then dispose of them. At what time does it become a service/reliability issue. When trucks break down and service suffers, what then. Although new isn't always a good thing. Numerous "new" Internationals have repeatedly gone to dealerships for engine related trouble. Quite a few of the PS and PT series have blown their Cummins motors at relatively low milage. Maybe somebody knows the scoop.:smilie_132:

I have never been a fan of the Cummins engines. Always a problem new or old. Look at it this way, we could have equipment like Roadway or other business'. Never replacing anything. Wilmington has a state of the art shop, crew and a great bunch of managers. They do rebuild everything themselves. Being able to do that makes the company money and you can't blame them for doing this. On the issue of not sending new trucks to certain locations, well....They buy roughly 800 new trucks a year (ROUGHLY) and getting a new truck to every terminal every year is possible, but is it feasable? Believe me they know what is out there and what is junk and what isn't.

I've heard that WIL had a few KW's they were testing, like the model FedEx runs. Volvos are good riding solid trucks from what I've seen. With all the new emission changes coming up for the 2007 models I wonder if they have ordered alot trucks before the 2006 model deadline.

Grumman, I'm guessing you have mostly Int's down south? They cleaned out the NE and it's an all Mack fleet up this way. We do have some old Fords up here yet too. They are mostly spares though. The Visions are nice trucks, but seriously underpowered for this area. I shouldn't be losing 15 mph on a hill with 4k on a 48'. I hate to say it, but I would trade you a new Mack for a nice rebuilt Int any day. As far as the big union companies up this way. They are running alot of newer Volvos and Sterlings.