Holland | Vote Yes...i Did Today

Can someone explain why there is such a difference in the number of road drivers laid off compared to the city board. And plus most laid off have a chance to make money in the city. Just curious. GRIZZ

Grizz, I don't know if this is anything but what about the logistics trailers and using all of the bars to top load freight. Before YRC we loaded most everything on the floor and now they want trailers loaded maxed out or as close as we can get them. If you think about it when you get another 10,000 pounds on each trailer then you will need less trailers for the same amount of weight. You could figure that on average 1 out of every 5 loads would be canceled by this. The same amount of city men or more because it takes longer to load trailers this way but they save money by using less road men and the expenses that go along with them plus wear and tear on equipment and fuel. Just a thought.

Heres another point Grizz,if a so called shinny wheel runs a load, say from Nashville to say LA,he would take it directly from term to term,where as in the case of the rail, a teamster has to take it to the railhead and at the other end a teamster picks it up and returns it to the term in LA,thus using shinny wheels eliminates two jobs,one at each end..if you read some of the posts at some of the non-union companies this is what they are doing already.

Crazy,
I see your point and that's been mentioned on one or more NMFA company Forums. The thing is though one load will not cost 2 jobs unless it was an all day job for a city man to make one trip to the railyard. Now 3 or 4 such loads might be one job at each end if it was to happen 5 or 6 days every week.

Thanks crazy, I get the Shinny Wheel gig, just messin with Waggs. Waggs all kiddin aside, I do appreciate your knowledge of the contract. And your right on most counts. I'm just not in a position to roll the dice when my family involved. With the news coming out Monday, it probably doesn't matter anyway. A somber GRIZZ But the UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS is #1 How about that Friend Of The Frog.

Heres something to think about. Look at the big picture years ago and how it has changed to a different picture.

We could vote no, send them back to the table, get the language changed to be more specific. Some us feel the Union companies can compete with the non-union guys even in a bad economy and recession and with our current system. The downside of this may be a merger of two or closure of one of the YRCW carriers. YRCW doesnt allow us to see Hollands numbers so we can't compare it to past performance. What us city guys see firsthand is massive amounts of freight bleeding off to our Non-Union competitors. I check out every bit of freight I can when at stops to see who's taking it. The bills we now get, in general, weigh less and are less frequent. This is the case with all carriers both Union and non. But the non's are cutting our throats and filling up trailers.
Us city drivers are able to observe things at the source, talk with customers, see who's getting what and how much. Linehaul and dock are somewhat sheltered to what's going on out on the street. FedEx and UPS are on a mission to be mega-transportation companies and the first choices of customers and to put us in the soup line. They have a lot of money in the mattress until someone folds.

We could vote yes and allow them more flexibility. Eventually and most definitely, we will have to give them some flexibility to compete in this new (fedex/ups) freight world. Some don't see this as a necessity but it is. We do operate like a dinosaur. Who's to say they wont merge or close one of the subsidiary's down or do both regardless of our vote. Either way that seems very likely. If we vote yes, at least some of our brothers will be employed and future opportunities for work may be there for those who are laid off and work elsewhere.

There are some realities to think about here.

Mondays meeting will be interesting. I'm sure all possibilities will be layed out during the meeting so we hear them. Probably why the meeting was moved up.

Very well said Loon. I like yourself deal daily with customers. I've been in the same area long enough that most of my customers let me know when HMES is on the losing business. In this economy the cheapest wins. They always say you'll get it back because so and so carrier can't service like Holland. This used to be true, but not lately. We have to be able to compete. Grizz

Gee i look forward to Feb. 9, If it passes maybe those who are so againist should do the right thing and QUIT. They would show the company how much they dont like the new contract and will prevent a fellow teamster from losing their job because of this terrible deal that was forced upon them.

Thanks crazy, I get the Shinny Wheel gig, just messin with Waggs. Waggs all kiddin aside, I do appreciate your knowledge of the contract. And your right on most counts. I'm just not in a position to roll the dice when my family involved. With the news coming out Monday, it probably doesn't matter anyway. A somber GRIZZ But the UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS is #1 How about that Friend Of The Frog.

I just pray we all have our jobs in a year, no matter what happens with contract.

I just pray we all have our jobs in a year, no matter what happens with contract.

I'm with you Waggs, I have been discussing it with my wife, and we are praying for the best too.:1036316054: This has been a good job for myself and my family and it would be hard to replace.

Grizz, I don't know if this is anything but what about the logistics trailers and using all of the bars to top load freight. Before YRC we loaded most everything on the floor and now they want trailers loaded maxed out or as close as we can get them. If you think about it when you get another 10,000 pounds on each trailer then you will need less trailers for the same amount of weight. You could figure that on average 1 out of every 5 loads would be canceled by this. The same amount of city men or more because it takes longer to load trailers this way but they save money by using less road men and the expenses that go along with them plus wear and tear on equipment and fuel. Just a thought.

I am a Gaylord peddle driver, but I work the dock in P.M. also. These logistics trailers do take a little longer to load, but we can really pack the frt on them. If the dispatcher knows that this trl. will be tight, he instructs us to use the log. bars. Unfortunately, this does eliminate loads though. I'm sure this is impacting the linehaul boards, but it is more efficient. I do want the company to run as efficient as possible, but don't want to see any jobs lost.

Gee i look forward to Feb. 9, If it passes maybe those who are so againist should do the right thing and QUIT. They would show the company how much they dont like the new contract and will prevent a fellow teamster from losing their job because of this terrible deal that was forced upon them.
How you figure!!!!! Since you voted YES and its taken back to the table because the NO votes won are you going to quit...HELL no you aren't, just like me I voted NO and I want quit if its voted in....THE MAJORITY WINS....its the way of the land.....we will all have to deal with it which ever way the votes go.

FedEx and UPS are on a mission to be mega-transportation companies and the first choices of customers and to put us in the soup line. They have a lot of money in the mattress until someone folds.

Eventually and most definitely, we will have to give them some flexibility to compete in this new (fedex/ups) freight world. Some don't see this as a necessity but it is.
Very good post Loon. It's going to take UPS some time to mold the former Overnite into the freight moving machine it will surely become. When it does I think there will be a freight war like we've never seen before. If we're not in a position to compete in this future war we all know what will happen. It's slowly happening already and P&D men are the first to see the evidence.

The dinosaurs didn't evolve and we don't see them roam the earth anymore. Maybe they couldn't change with the times. The handwriting is on the wall although some refuse to read it.

I can see where one might assume from your post that you did. just an honest mistake maybe..:1036316054:

I dont think i made the point i was out to make.

My thought is<<<If your going to vote NO because u feel we can get a better deal. that is valid reason. If you vote NO based on what if they are going to screw us. I dont think that is a very good reason.

The reverse is also true. IF you vote YES because you are afraid the next offer, if any will be worse. That is also not a good reason.

The bottom line is vote yes if you can live with the way it is written.

Vote no if you think we can do better.

But most important is to VOTE

WOW, That is a pretty much flat-out mean spirited comment there. Here I thought there was a reason for those ballots being sent out. If i'm not mistaken it's called the majority rules thing. Take a pill brother we're all a little nervous about things right now, but its called a VOTE for a reason; you have one and so does he. :1036316054:

My apologies

WOW, That is a pretty much flat-out mean spirited comment there. Here I thought there was a reason for those ballots being sent out. If i'm not mistaken it's called the majority rules thing. Take a pill brother we're all a little nervous about things right now, but its called a VOTE for a reason; you have one and so does he. :1036316054:

My apologies, im rabid about this, soon all the the folks unemployed
In the “restructure” they didn’t know about when voting will be rabid
Too, but it will be to late for them. I should just give up
And let everyone throw themselves to they’re death but I cant.
It disturbs me how so many of our coworkers go about their day
Like cattle in the field completely unaware of what’s going on here.
Behind the scenes the butchers are sharpening the blades for april 1.
Or in the case of “restructure” even sooner…..