Wabash Trailer Safety Issues

Who Cares

TB Lurker
Credits
Most of you may already know this but getting information from Portland Safety and the shop is like pulling hens teeth.

The Wabash trailers in the 1680 to 1790) numbers (Approximately) have had problems with the pintel hitches pulling loose from the frame. There has been two confirmed that have been found in Portland. The shop didn't bother to make anyone aware of this problem until pushed by the drivers and the the only thing that was done was one notice posted in the dispatch window. Two of the mechanics were amazed that nothing had been told to us.

As I understand it the suspect trailers are to be cycled into Portland to go to Wabash for the frame to be beefed up. Somehow I guess it is too difficult that these be sent to a dealer near where the trailers are at now. I guess Wabash/Oak Harbor must have lots of money to spend on a lawsuit if someone looses the trailer.

Take the time to closely inspect for cracked welds and framework pulling loose and make sure to CYA. If any questions make sure you contact someone higher up the food chain. But don't let someone make you compromise safety.

You can bet your rear (trailer) that if something goes wrong you will get the blame for not doing a proper pretrip. And for those that regularly go past scales that have nasty inspectors in them I am sure they would like to see the problem. I wonder if any of the powers to be have thought that if one of these trailers, even when pulled as a rear box, went through an inspection and found to have cracks or metal separation it would still be red tagged.

Be safe and don't let Oak Harbors cheap answer to a serious safety problem cause you grief.

While I am on this rant the shop is still looking for ways to cut overhead. First the maintenance goes south then the rest of the company follows. I have seen this before. Anyone else been seeing how long they let tires go?

Some updated information in no particular order.

Wabash and Oak Harbor appear to be in some sort of p!$$ing match over who will repair and when this is to be done. Wabash say they will fix as needed when found.

Trailer numbers are 1678 to 1793.

The Portland shop manager basically told one driver that this should be found during a pretrip inspection. The second in command told one driver he would not sign off on any of these trailers that they are safe to go down the road as a leader. The night foreman said if anyone called with them as a leader and they couldn't be moved to the rear someones freight was going to be late.

There is suppose to be a meeting in Auburn today with Wabash today 1/29.

It has been learned that the cracks are starting under the hitch. It would be impossible to see unless the hitch is removed or maybe from under the trailer.

Portland safety manager isn't real happy about the whole thing. Was told that the hitches were being removed until things could be figured out. I am hopeful that he will deadline all of them until repairs are made. Didn't really know there was a problem until it was brought to his attention Thursday AM.

Central Dispatch knew nothing about the problem as was rather upset when some refused to pull these units as a leader. You can bet stuff is hitting the fan.

None of the Auburn drivers had been told about any problems with these trailers.

Auburn shop had red tagged several with the notation that they were to be sent "to Portland for warranty repairs. OK to load with freight." A driver wouldn't know if the roof was falling off or the wheels were square. No mention that they were not to be used as a leader.

More as I find out.

Anyone wanting more information can e-mail me at [email protected] as I don't follow this board often.

They had this same problem about 8 to 10 years ago, thats why lots of the trailers have been painted red at the pintal attachment. So that we knew which ones were repaired. I hope someone gets a handle on this befor they hit the highway

Boy you guys forget who is paying your bills. Why don't you find somewhere else to work if you hate this company and it rules and owners and on and on as you go. I will bet you couldn't get a job anywhere else. Right? ::)

[quote author=Day Tripper link=topic=75577.msg813947#msg813947 date=1268848454]
Boy you guys forget who is paying your bills. Why don't you find somewhere else to work if you hate this company and it rules and owners and on and on as you go. I will bet you couldn't get a job anywhere else. Right? ::)
[/quote]Are you friggin kiddin me? This is a major issue for public safety for your company. If one of those trailers killed a family of 4 how would you feel up there in your mansion on the hill, jerk-off.

Please remember, though everyone is entitled to an opinion. No personal attacks are acceptable.

IMO anyone not taking this serious is just as capable of getting seriously drunk, then jumping on the highway and going on a trip.

Hey Dude... Do you realize your trailer might fall off?
Uh.... Yeah, but that is the companies problem. I only get paid to drive. DUH......