Holland | Wake up people!!

Renegade_SL

TB Lurker
Credits
All this arguing about UEs. It's not just about YRC saving money. They want more flexability with their employees. Look at it this way...For one load of freight, it takes one man to load the freight, one man to hook the tractor and pull it away from the door, one man to drive it to another terminal, one man to park the truck in a door, one man to drop the freight, when it gets back to the home terminal, one man to drop the trailer, one man to fuel the truck. Ok, lets do the math. That's a total of "7" men to complete that day for one load of freight. With a UE, or as our non-union competitors do, they could get all of that done with "1" man. They want to be able to tell a driver, "hey, put that trailer in door 56, then swing that freight to door 79, then go hook to door 35, take that to Sikeston, Mo., when you get back, I need you to pick up some freight across town. Oh, and when you get done, don't forget to fuel your truck, and wash the windows." Without a bunch of "That's not my job!" I truly believe in Job Security. I am a laid off driver as well. But the reality is, if everyone fights this, they will shut the doors to USF Holland! I have already moved on, because I have excepted this reality. But I would do anything to get my old job back, and for things to be the way they were........Missing my old life:17:

i am one of those drivers for the competition you speak of. my bid run states "utilize anyway neccesary prior to a 2200 out gate time. some days i just work the dock and do linehaul, others i hostle dock and line, some i do city dock and line. it's not that bad really. in a few years all i will do is linehaul. work is work...

All this arguing about UEs. It's not just about YRC saving money. They want more flexability with their employees. Look at it this way...For one load of freight, it takes one man to load the freight, one man to hook the tractor and pull it away from the door, one man to drive it to another terminal, one man to park the truck in a door, one man to drop the freight, when it gets back to the home terminal, one man to drop the trailer, one man to fuel the truck. Ok, lets do the math. That's a total of "7" men to complete that day for one load of freight. With a UE, or as our non-union competitors do, they could get all of that done with "1" man. They want to be able to tell a driver, "hey, put that trailer in door 56, then swing that freight to door 79, then go hook to door 35, take that to Sikeston, Mo., when you get back, I need you to pick up some freight across town. Oh, and when you get done, don't forget to fuel your truck, and wash the windows." Without a bunch of "That's not my job!" I truly believe in Job Security. I am a laid off driver as well. But the reality is, if everyone fights this, they will shut the doors to USF Holland! I have already moved on, because I have excepted this reality. But I would do anything to get my old job back, and for things to be the way they were........Missing my old life:17:

The Drivers at Holland already did kicks and picks. If the Company needed more flexibility they could have ask for it in the contract without giving our road jobs away. This boils down to corporate greed. YRCW wants ALL of the money and the Teamster leadership got their cut (in the form of pension and dues payments). Our leadership could have protected us. Instead they conspired with the Company. USF Holland was a very profitable Company before YRC. The only thing that has changed is the management. So this attitude of it's not my job is bulls***! The system we had was very efficient. There are always a few exceptions. Everyone at Holland always got the job done and the Company made a profit. The O/R was in the 80's. They treated us right and we treated the Company with the same respect. I don't have enough respect for anyone at YRC to **** on them if they were on fire. This Company propaganda that the UE was necessary to save the Company is simply not true. The Teamsters Brotherhood I thought I was a part of would never sacrifice even 1 driver. We all worked or no one worked! Why is everyone accepting that the non-union companies set the standards for the LTL industry? If we had better leadership they would take charge and be LEADERS. Didn't the IBT withdraw form AFL-CIO because Hoffa said he wanted to be more aggressive in organizing? When is the last time a trucking company was organized a put into our pension fund?
My point is that the Union and the Company could have gotten the flexibility your are talking about without screwing the Road Driver. It's all about the Money.

This boils down to corporate greed. YRCW wants ALL of the money and the Teamster leadership got their cut (in the form of pension and dues payments). Our leadership could have protected us. Instead they conspired with the Company.

I agree with that completely. Okay, back to being a thunder cat again, its all lollipops and rainbows.... :toxic:
451thunder.jpg

I can honestley say I feel your pain, Holland kept on working when they shuddered our doors at red star, they have already forgotten about the pain we went thru... keep on trucking, ole yeller's gonna do you's like we were done at red star. I feel your pain

It don't end at our yards

I am a Yellow Cleveland (CVE) driver. Two senior (classified Road Drivers) (and I mean senior) went to Pittsburgh. PGH sent these guys to a velocity customer and the velocity customer got mad at these road drivers because they didn't have pallet jacks and were'nt prepared to help load/unload freight. Tell me, "who are we putting out of work at the customer by doing their job?" And, I hope dispatchers and that over glorified foreman aren't getting comfortable, because just say the word and I know I can do their jobs too!:funky::smilie_132:

I hope dispatchers and that over glorified foreman aren't getting comfortable, because just say the word and I know I can do their jobs too!:funky::smilie_132:

Here at (LCP-Yellow) we had two former union stewards become Supervisors at the HSB-Harrisburg terminal (Rodney B. & Jim Q.) in this recent change. Anyhow, Rodney B. is about as sharp as a butter knife with a very limited vocabulary/knowledge. Finally, I heard they were paid less money since neither of them have any college education and/or experience in those positions. Overall, I think your onto something there too... :shades:

It seems like you are implying that it costs them 7 times as much because 7 people were involved. It still takes the roughly the same amount of time for that work to get done, just different people doing different parts of the whole job. Also I noticed in your example, it was a drop on the way to the home terminal, padding the number by 2, and usually the guy dropping can fuel, further padding your number by 1. So really it is 4 people involved normally, and again, that doesn't mean 4 times the labor cost, just different people completing certain aspects of the job. Sure, there is SOME time lost, but lets not be silly here.

As far as shutting down USF HOLLAND they were pretty much given " carte blanche" on this last contract.With that said ,I believe that we now play by the new UE rules. It`s up to the YRC elite to rearrange the chairs on the titanic!

are you people crazy? Can anyone name one position that has been eliminated? The road positions that are supposedly being cut are being replaced with a UE. In most cases terminals are seeing a net gain in employee count. This is not eliminating jobs... It is creating them.

Where do we start. IN 27 linehaul gone,4 UE coming.LI men with over 10yrs laid off. GR over 30 linehaul laid off.AT road board cut from over 100 to less thn 45 .NET GAIN ??? Must be that new math the grandkids talk about. Well just call me crazy when all the senior men are layed off and the junior local cartage men fill the UE positions.

ok i understand what you are saying, but from what i have seen. those layoffs happened before the UE was implemented. These people are laid off because of a loss in business not the addition of the UE.

Loss of business. Funny that our term mgr has been told to cut men when his numbers show he need more hand on deck and while laying off drivers we have forced our sunday board multiple times. Also strange that when the southern UE change whent down the number of laid off drivers matched the number of US's added. Tell a laid off driver with over 10 yrs that the UE position will save us all or the short haul bid man that has his bid replaced with a UE bid.

ok i understand what you are saying, but from what i have seen. those layoffs happened before the UE was implemented. These people are laid off because of a loss in business not the addition of the UE.

The layoffs started before the UEs started, because they knew in advance, that they werent going to need as many road drivers. And also, all in-active {laid-off} aren't elligible to bid on those positions when posted. You city guys don't see our {road drivers} problem with this position. After the 1st posting for the UE position, it becomes a city bid. So any road driver bidding on it later, if he can even get it, goes to the BOTTOM of the city board. No matter how much company seniority he has.

think about how did you voted somebody had to vote yes. as much as i hate it it's here to stay. think about this there is one more vote to come and think about who done this to you being a old teamster and can't stand the tud thing i dont know if they can do any worse did i say that shoot me have lost my mind lol oh well good luck too all

ok, but lets take a look at this. If a UE is added, then both city and road drives have the chance to bid the position. If a city guy gets the position, it leaves an opening on the city board that must be filled. In most cases this will be a laid off city guy, but the point is, it does not eliminate the job. It just results in someone else doing the job, but it is still the same number of positions. Admittedly not good for the senior LH driver, but still not a loss.

Here is how a company decides if it is time to lay off. As freight levels drops, and the number of hours stay the same, then bills per hour drop. this indicates you have to many employees (for road drivers it reflects in an increase in the number of empty miles). The reverse is also true. As freight levels increase, and the number of hours stay the same, then the bills per hour go up. At a certain point this indicates they are under staffed so they hire. Lay offs are simply a result in decreased productivity caused by a loss of business.

Contray to popular belief, the surest way to maintain teamster jobs, is do the best job we can and improve productivity. The better the productivity, the more people we get back. Slow downs result in decreased production and causes the bean counters to call for more cuts.

The way the first COO came down the linehaul was offered a UE position only once and anytime after that it was local cartage only .At the next change we will object to this but it is yet to be seen what will be the end results.There is no way a junior man shoud be offered work until the senior man has been asked .And offering him part-time work 2 days a week don't get it.

I agree. All i am saying is that eveyone seems to be saying the UE position results in a loss of jobs, but it is simply not ture. Now it sc**ws road drivers over on their senority rights, but it does not eliminate positions.

If the road board($90,000.00+ a year) is cut drastically and replaced with local cartage($60,000.00+ a year) then you call it what you want .This time its the roadboard getting hosed and then will it be the dock men by the 4 hr casuals. I guess time will tell.

ok, but lets take a look at this. If a UE is added, then both city and road drives have the chance to bid the position. If a city guy gets the position, it leaves an opening on the city board that must be filled. In most cases this will be a laid off city guy, but the point is, it does not eliminate the job. It just results in someone else doing the job, but it is still the same number of positions. Admittedly not good for the senior LH driver, but still not a loss.

Here is how a company decides if it is time to lay off. As freight levels drops, and the number of hours stay the same, then bills per hour drop. this indicates you have to many employees (for road drivers it reflects in an increase in the number of empty miles). The reverse is also true. As freight levels increase, and the number of hours stay the same, then the bills per hour go up. At a certain point this indicates they are under staffed so they hire. Lay offs are simply a result in decreased productivity caused by a loss of business.

Contray to popular belief, the surest way to maintain teamster jobs, is do the best job we can and improve productivity. The better the productivity, the more people we get back. Slow downs result in decreased production and causes the bean counters to call for more cuts.

The only reason business is down is because of the poor management by YRC. USF Holland was the best next day ltl company until we were acquired. Yellow took a very profitable and respectable company and applied their own failed polices that can only result in failure. Any argument that tries to defend the current state of affairs with the company or the Union does not hold water. Believe it or not, most Drivers are intelligent enough to see the truth and do not need a business or contract lesson from someone who does not know anything about being a good Teamster. I have explained below my thoughts on the UE.
On paper this all sounds good. It does mean more more dues, more teamster jobs, and more health and welfare contributions. The question is what kind of Teamster jobs and at what cost? Many road jobs have been eliminated and there will be more . The UE works for less per day and their vacation pay is about $815 less per week. Under this plan the company has only asked for a few UE's at each terminal. This way they can add several later without the road drivers being allowed to bid on these jobs. Then the company can utilize the 4 hour casual for $14 an hour (these casuals pay dues but they get NO benefits). The company will not have to hire very many full time employees. So, when this new contract is fully implemented, there will be less road drivers, more city employees (with lower wages of roughly $22,000 per year than a road driver), and a lot of 4 hour casuals. The Union gets more of everything, the Company will have record profits, and the working man gets screwed again. This was all discussed at contract time and our leadership said this would not happen. The only conclusion I can come to is that our Leadership sold us out or we have very bad leadership. The IBT should have protected all of their members, not sacrifice some of us to get what they wanted.