Wal-Mart maybe the Best professional driving jobs in this era !

Not all of that information is accurate.....home every weekend...LOL....OOOOKKKK

You must not know alot about WalMart transportation, I had a buddy that was there for 7 years and still couldn't get weekends off the best he could do is sun and mon off, who ever said WalMart gives weekends off? If you got the stroke you can have them, otherwise your days off are probably gonna be here through the week.

sounds to me like you got run off instead of bailing out

You got 2 posts in, both are negative, if you have come here to start ****, you have come to the wrong place. I suggest you check the attitude and be nice, folks here are looking for information, not smart ass comments.

You got 2 posts in, both are negative, if you have come here to start ****, you have come to the wrong place. I suggest you check the attitude and be nice, folks here are looking for information, not smart ass comments.

Love it! Go get em brother! Trolls drive me crazy.

I was never told I would have weekends off. They said I would have to work weekends. Start each week around Thursday or Friday, somewhere in there. Have to work five days and get two off, a driver there said when it gets busy sometimes you do five-and-a-half and take a reset and do it again.

Your right on the weekend thing. Had my final interview at Apple Valley 2 weeks ago and had an offer.(one job in 14 years-EZ background check) However, I decided not to go with Wal Mart after all. At my age, I kind of like my weekends and holidays off. The Transportation manager (Gary ?-Jerry ?) was nice as was the lady from HR and was very gracious when I said "Thanks, but no thanks". I knew from the start that I would not have anything close to weekends off, but what kind of "killed" it for me was the no set schedule for over a year, no assigned equipment for up to 3 years and they prefer that a 10 hour reset is done at the DC, even though I live about 15 minutes away from the DC. I had to choose between basically money and having a life and with only a small difference between what I'm making now vs. living at a WalMart DC, I had to be honest and take what worked best for me. The Webcam interview was pretty weird though. Road test was very thorough, although, I thought making me do a drop and hook at the Hesperia store during the road test was a little tacky, since I was not a WalMart employee and not being paid. I guess I will hang with tankers..

Your right on the weekend thing. Had my final interview at Apple Valley 2 weeks ago and had an offer.(one job in 14 years-EZ background check) However, I decided not to go with Wal Mart after all. At my age, I kind of like my weekends and holidays off. The Transportation manager (Gary ?-Jerry ?) was nice as was the lady from HR and was very gracious when I said "Thanks, but no thanks". I knew from the start that I would not have anything close to weekends off, but what kind of "killed" it for me was the no set schedule for over a year, no assigned equipment for up to 3 years and they prefer that a 10 hour reset is done at the DC, even though I live about 15 minutes away from the DC. I had to choose between basically money and having a life and with only a small difference between what I'm making now vs. living at a WalMart DC, I had to be honest and take what worked best for me. The Webcam interview was pretty weird though. Road test was very thorough, although, I thought making me do a drop and hook at the Hesperia store during the road test was a little tacky, since I was not a WalMart employee and not being paid. I guess I will hang with tankers..

You have to do whats best for you and your family, I applaud you for choosing the right thing, I would love to drive for Wal-Mart, I don't even apply, I know I don't want to be gone, its as simple as that, that may change in the future, but for now, thats my thing.

Thanks for posting your position cryotruck, that takes alot of thought to go through all that and decide not to pull the trigger, however, like I said, I applaud you, you seem to have your priorities in check!

Well got the call start orientation next week in red bluff. Excited to have a job where i won't have to hear stay home today sorry no work,gave that place thirteen years and they still treat you like anyone else.you should have seen the look on there face when i told them i was going to work for the competitor ha ha all they could say was can't believe your leaving us,like now they care. Looking forward to the new chapter.

I decided not to go with Wal Mart....what kind of "killed" it for me was the (1)no set schedule for over a year, (B)no assigned equipment for up to 3 years and (3)they prefer that a 10 hour reset is done at the DC...
(1) You're ON, you're OFF. Seems like a "ON CALL Board Driver"??
(B) NO GOOD. Like MANY OF US that have done slip seat ops, we're tired of cleaning after slobs and, like with ANY company, there are sloppy drivers with wal mart.
(3) Only a good idea when not at home d.c. (like Line Haul or related), otherwise you're right, it's appalling and insensitive.

It's good that People like yourself have the initiative to fully investigate such company offers, interviews, etc., and not feel somehow compelled to accept such conditions of employment regardless of the supposed "best driving job in trucking".

WELL DONE cryotruck!!

CHEERS!!

After much soul searching, I called Walmart and turned down the interview.

I have too much to lose with ABF right now.

(1) You're ON, you're OFF. Seems like a "ON CALL Board Driver"??
(B) NO GOOD. Like MANY OF US that have done slip seat ops, we're tired of cleaning after slobs and, like with ANY company, there are sloppy drivers with wal mart.
(3) Only a good idea when not at home d.c. (like Line Haul or related), otherwise you're right, it's appalling and insensitive.

It's good that People like yourself have the initiative to fully investigate such company offers, interviews, etc., and not feel somehow compelled to accept such conditions of employment regardless of the supposed "best driving job in trucking".

WELL DONE cryotruck!!

CHEERS!!

I think that WalMart (like a lot of places nowadays) is rapidly becoming "just another place to work". I know several long time drivers at Apple Valley whom I respect immensely and they have stated that if they had to start all over again, they probably would not have gone there. Just recently, my best friend (and an extremely qualified driver) turned down his offer at Apple Valley also for reasons of his own. I'm not knocking WalMart, they have their policies and I understand that. I just added everything up, looked at the fact that, do I REALLY want to be working all the holidays and weekends for less than full pay for a year ? Not really. They kept waving the activity pay around and really, any sane company pays pretty much the same. I don't get paid to sleep in the sleeper at my current company, but there's a lot to be said for staying in a nice La Quinta or Marriott, which they do pay for. Matter of fact, I don't even have a sleeper..LOL

After much soul searching, I called Walmart and turned down the interview.

I have too much to lose with ABF right now.

Stoney, which DC did you turn down ? ABF is a good gig, ya did the right thing. Hang in there, freight always comes back.

Stoney, which DC did you turn down ? ABF is a good gig, ya did the right thing. Hang in there, freight always comes back.

Had an interview scheduled in Apple Valley on Nov 8.

In the end, I see to many positives in stayng with ABF.
The reason I applied is because I was worried about ABF's future. I decided to gamble and stay. Although I'm starting to feel pretty good about ABF again.
I have good seniority, home every other day. I have a great bid, day time driving, night time sleeping at a hotel, and I get to have dinner with my family 4 nights a week.
Not a high paying bid, but the schedule is great!
And if the pension stays, I sitting pretty at having full retirement by the time I'm 53.
At Walmart. I get to drive a Pete.

You did the right thing Stoney. There's a lot to be said for family and ABF is still quite solid as a company. Now, if you had worked for YRC, that might be a different story. I also just got my retirement statement from the Western Conference. Thanks to a "quirk" in our contract, due to my 18 years at UPS and 7 @Linde, I qualify for the "platinum 80" , so that just gave me more reason not to do the WalMart thing. I just realized in two stinking years, I am DONE trucking. Maybe I'll be a greeter part time.."Hi, welcome to WalMart", while wearing my IBT jacket. That will go over well..Still, I have nothing against them, for some, it's a great job. Just not for me. I'll stick with my stupid Pro-Star (complete with Cummins Maxxi-Pad motor) and be home.

Well, got my call for the 2nd interview/offer on Monday, went, and just passed my physical. So, barring anything ridiculous and unknown on the background check (have had one many times in the last few years, so they probably know me), I should start around the first of the month. :)

The insurance alone will save me big money. This is what happens when you work for a small company.

Thanks to all who have helped here. It really helped. I know this job isn't an upgrade for all, but for many of us, it is huge.

Well, got my call for the 2nd interview/offer on Monday, went, and just passed my physical. So, barring anything ridiculous and unknown on the background check (have had one many times in the last few years, so they probably know me), I should start around the first of the month. :)

The insurance alone will save me big money. This is what happens when you work for a small company.

Thanks to all who have helped here. It really helped. I know this job isn't an upgrade for all, but for many of us, it is huge.

Happy for you driver! Good luck.

And could you come back every now and then for an update on how it's going for you there in Buckeye ? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Well, I had my final interview today, did my Drug test, and Physical, a few more days and I should be on my way. I can seem to figure out how to change my profile name though...