XPO | Walkabouts to Miami?

The entire organizing campaign is non- physical force. I neither believe nor implied that anyone is advocating physical force against XPO or its employees, and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop acting as though I did.
I am merely pointing to what you posted and asking you to clarify , which you finally did.

My question still remains though ( simply because I am wondering if you may have a valid point or not )

With the organizing effort , what non-physical force has been used? Are the pro-union people doing something they are not supposed to or just something you disagree with?

Do they though? What have we lost? 2 bereavement days (and not really, since the old policy of 5 days covered weekends)? We only lose vacation time if we leave.

The bereavement day loss was one of the worst, precisely because it was so small.

The only way that you would get 5 days off was if the funeral was on Wednesday. Most are on Fri, Sat., or Sun, so you would only get 3 off.

Changing the policy seemed very petty to me, as if they searched for something more to take, for the sake of taking something. For something that will probably never effect me, I have lost any loyalty that I had left.

As for the vacation time, that's time that has been earned (their words). Please explain to me why you feel it should be lost.

The bereavement day loss was one of the worst, precisely because it was so small.

The only way that you would get 5 days off was if the funeral was on Wednesday. Most are on Fri, Sat., or Sun, so you would only get 3 off.

Changing the policy seemed very petty to me, as if they searched for something more to take, for the sake of taking something. For something that will probably never effect me, I have lost any loyalty that I had left.

As for the vacation time, that's time that has been earned (their words). Please explain to me why you feel it should be lost.
Yup, the bereavement days takeaway was petty and unnecessary. Perhaps that's the way it is for the rest of the company, but it wasn't that way for us and they should have left it alone, especially since they treat us as the red headed step child wing of the company anyway.

Yes, earned, but they're telling us to use our vacation. I love that that seems to bother people. Take some time off, FFS. If you choose to leave, spend it before you go. If you get fired, well, maybe you shouldn't have done that. I don't intend to lose any time, so there's nothing for me to complain about.

Yes, earned, but they're telling us to use our vacation. I love that that seems to bother people. Take some time off, FFS. If you choose to leave, spend it before you go. If you get fired, well, maybe you shouldn't have done that. I don't intend to lose any time, so there's nothing for me to complain about.
And who's responsible for lack of opportunities to use vacation time due to , I don't know , lack of people to cover your time off?

Many locations are short drivers. The response from XPO has been lacking. In a highly competitive market XPO has chosen to sit on their hands. XPO is not doing much to attract and retain new drivers. At this rate ( with the average age of drivers being around 55 ) the numbers are against XPO.

I'm guessing you won't agree but there is an obvious answer: compensation and working situations need to improve to attract and retain younger people.

If upper management is telling us to use our vacation , shouldn't we be able to? There are openings , but if you are a junior driver do you take all of the Tuesday's , Wednesday's , and Thursday's off in February?

I don't have to worry about that but try and convince a new driver to come aboard when they are able to go elsewhere with less nonsense to deal with.

How long do you think legacy guys will continue to earn up to 7 weeks of PTO while the rest of the companies earn only 5? All we hear about is aligning the companies...it won't be too long before we are cut as well.
Then, after the biz flipper sells us, wellw never see 7 weeks again.

You re not going to change anything unless you chance legislation! These companies operate within federal and state laws PERIOD! Your outdated unions only make things worse, WAKE UP!

How long do you think legacy guys will continue to earn up to 7 weeks of PTO while the rest of the companies earn only 5? All we hear about is aligning the companies...it won't be too long before we are cut as well.
Exactly and this "aligning" by the company is why I believe we lost our bereavement leave. Rather than take away from us, they should use our benefit package as a model through which to prop up their existing employees. With the driver market as tight as it is today and us losing people to competition and attrition, XPO is certainly in no position to take ANYTHING away from us. And here is the problem Gene, I don't want to go union but the company is gonna force me to do so if they keep pulling the BS. I think smokin'joe is right. They will keep taking away what we've become accustomed to and everytime they do it, it will just drive more of the men toward organizing. If the vote came to my place right now to certify, I'm still a no, but I also have a line that if crossed, I could go yes.

Last edited:
Have they? Two thirds of the unit in Miami don't seem that fired up about it. Majority rules, as long as the majority wants to organize.

Completely agree. But I also don't think it's acceptable to rewrite the terms of your employment by force because you don't find it convenient to leave.
The majority does want to organize. When the decert was passed around, they got 8 signatures.Had they been able to get 22, it would have only delayed the inevitable anyway, as they could never get the 38 needed to decertify. If your barn hasn't held an election, the majority is ruling there also...at least for now.

Exactly and this "aligning" by the company is why I believe we lost our bereavement leave. Rather than take away from us, they should use our benefit package as a model through which to prop up their existing employees. With the driver market as tight as it is today and us losing people to competition and attrition, XPO is certainly in no position to take ANYTHING away from us. And here is the problem Gene, I don't want to go union but the company is gonna force me to do so if they keep pulling the BS. I think smokin'joe is right. They will keep taking away what we've become accustomed to and everytime they do it, it will just drive more of the men toward organizing. If the vote came to my place right now to certify, I'm still a no, but I also have a line that if crossed, I could go yes.
If they were concerned with aligning the company, why haven't they offered the south OT after 8? When was the last time a policy change benefited the employees?

Sure, perception is reality, I get that. But you can't make everyone happy (especially in a group of drivers), and it would be ridiculous (and cost prohibitive) to try. From the company perspective, Miami and Philadelphia are outliers- not bellwethers, and I don't disagree with that view.

Do they though? What have we lost? 2 bereavement days (and not really, since the old policy of 5 days covered weekends)? We only lose vacation time if we leave. Healthcare costs are a national problem. We've gotten a raise every year. I just don't see the thievery.

It's their company

Think of all the horrendous working conditions that existed before unions existed. 8 day work weeks, No OT, child labor etc. Was all that acceptable because it was "their company".

If they were concerned with aligning the company, why haven't they offered the south OT after 8? When was the last time a policy change benefited the employees?
It does benefit the employees - just not the ones on bottom. Not the blue collar folks. It helps the white collar high-ups.

It does benefit the employees - just not the ones on bottom. Not the blue collar folks. It helps the white collar high-ups.
The ultimate motive for this company is cash on the bottom line. Whether you believe Mr. Jacobs is padding the bottom line to make the company more attractive to a buyer or he's just filling his pockets is irrelevant. Concern for employees is clearly not on his bucket list. Even middle management employees have been disrespected; 23 year company men out the door in a heart beat.

I got news for brother the majority of Xpo's companies are maxed out at 3 weeks, they wanted to go there with ltl but feared pushing the union movement Far ahead.

I got news for brother the majority of Xpo's companies are maxed out at 3 weeks, they wanted to go there with ltl but feared pushing the union movement Far ahead.
One of the current policy changes is the reduction in our PTO accumulation. I'll get the details for you.