Wally called!!!!

Freight Train said:
Glad to hear it Stoney! Good luck on your interview. I just applied for Beaver Dam WI myself. I wouldn't mind getting a few tips either.

I hope they call ya. And thanks.

Not sure how the new hiring process goes. When I got hired we still had the drivers who participated in the interview but just be honest and respectful. Be prepared for some questions about driving questions and scenarios you wouldn't normally think of on a daily basis but could happen. Don't be negative about anything even your current job. Dress nice. Show them this is something you want. I've seen guys show up in dirty jeans and just not as presentable as they could be. It shows you care about yourself and that you are presenting yourself as a professional. I'm sure you already know they care about how you represent them on the road and in the public eye while out of the truck. Good luck to you.

Not sure how the new hiring process goes. When I got hired we still had the drivers who participated in the interview but just be honest and respectful. Be prepared for some questions about driving questions and scenarios you wouldn't normally think of on a daily basis but could happen. Don't be negative about anything even your current job. Dress nice. Show them this is something you want. I've seen guys show up in dirty jeans and just not as presentable as they could be. It shows you care about yourself and that you are presenting yourself as a professional. I'm sure you already know they care about how you represent them on the road and in the public eye while out of the truck. Good luck to you.

Thank you driver. I had my interview today. I passed the interview, pretrip and road test. Just waiting on them to verify my employment history. So I believe I'm looking at a job offer soon! But I ain't counting my chips yet.

Thanks for the great info. You can tell Wal-Mart cares about how their drivers represent the company. I respect that, it's one of the most visible fleets on the highway. Great advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you driver. I had my interview today. I passed the interview, pretrip and road test. Just waiting on them to verify my employment history. So I believe I'm looking at a job offer soon! But I ain't counting my chips yet.

Sounds like good news Stoney! How long was the whole process?

Freight Train said:
Sounds like good news Stoney! How long was the whole process?

My interview was with 3 men. 1 in person on 2 on teleconference. If you pass the the interview, then they give you a pretrip and roadtest.
The roadtest, was about 30 miles long. And I had to back into a dock twice.

Well, I had the job in the bag! Then I speeding ticket I beat in 09, still showed on my record. I put no tickets on my app. Even though I had proof I beat the ticket, and shouldn't be on my drivers record, Wally disqualified me.

They did tell me to apply again, when hiring again, just to put ticket on my record. Or make sure the info I give matches my drivers record exactly!

Bummer! I was sooooooooooooo jazzed! Being 33 at Walmart is rare! Oh well, 34 or 35 will still be young.

I'll be Back!!!!

is it true you are not allowed to take your phones in the DC they will fire you if you do?

You may be thinking no pictures or video are allowed inside the DC's but phones are fine in fact there almost always isa driver or a member of the transportation team sitting in the drivers room on their smart phone.

do you get phone calls from dispatchers and managers, or have to call into work numorous times while driving just to get your loads delivered? i have to call at least 3 times daily to make sure things are correct with my load. We have a no cell phone while driving policy, but they are the first to break it.

do you get phone calls from dispatchers and managers, or have to call into work numorous times while driving just to get your loads delivered? i have to call at least 3 times daily to make sure things are correct with my load. We have a no cell phone while driving policy, but they are the first to break it.

Not knowing if your a Wal Mart driver or not let me give you the answer that migh help others understand our system if they are curious.

All of our dispatching is done by OBC (on board computer) which combines qualcomm and navigo. Navigo is our on board navigation system that has all our stores and vendors loaded into the software. Unlike generic navigation systems that will take you to your requested location our system is customized so you are taken not only to your requested location but you are directed to the exact driveway to enter your store our vendor. There are very few problems with Navigo but of course common sense leads the way and expierence picks up if navigo for some reason is wrong. Having never used an onboard navigaion system I was impressed to say the least. Qualcomm has been around for years allowing communication between drivers and dispatchers,Wal Mart of course has taken the system to the next level and come up with what I am told is the envy of the logistics world. I have never used qualcomm in the driver setting but was somewhat familiar with OBC's from my fire dpartment days.

As far as phone calls I have never been called by anyone all communication is done by OBC. I should add that when the truck is in motion you can not read messages but there is a voice feture that reads your incoming mail and gives you your turn by turn directions you also can always see your map just like any other GPS unit. In eight months I have probably calledin to the office an average of twice a week,sometimes days go by that I never call in but remember we are usually thru our home DC at least a few times a week if not daily.

I am thankful for your answers, I am tired of constantly getting called and re-routed and things changing. If you have been there a long time and never recieved a call I think i may take my years of experience to a place that uses updated technology to get the job done. Thank you so much!

I am thankful for your answers, I am tired of constantly getting called and re-routed and things changing. If you have been there a long time and never recieved a call I think i may take my years of experience to a place that uses updated technology to get the job done. Thank you so much!

I went back and made some edits I have trouble typing with my i-pad and have to constantly go back and edit. You should with out a doubt make the move we are not perfect but you would be very happy. If your a guy like me with twenty plus years you know the game and can seperate the haters and the just plain uninformed from the guys that know their stuff. If you want to be treated well and rewarded very well this is the place to be, i keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but after eight months I just dont think its going to happen. The thing that everyone misses about working for the private fleet and I include some current and former WM drivers is that we are here becuse we are honest,safe and can be trusted with what is a huge amount of liability. Really its that simple sounds kinda lame but its the truth so come on over you will be glad you did or the steak dinners on me.

I read somewhere in here, yet unable to find the thread, that you are allowed a rider? Can i bring my kids or girlfriend along on trips as i cannot do that at the company i currently work for.

This would really play a role in my family agreeing for me to be gone longer periods than i am now. I enjoy family time and would love for my family to see what i do for a living.