Walmart Insurance

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart Drivers' started by Double-Clutch, Aug 4, 2014.

1. cracker

cracker Member

where do you get prescriptions for $1.00?

2. trucker1979

trucker1979 New Member

I get a three month supply of a prescription for a 1.66 through Caremark Mail order. I have been sick and gotten antibiotics for a few dollars. You can believe me if you want to, but I am telling the truth.

3. cracker

cracker Member

I believe ya, i just wanted to know how ya did it.. I have the same insurance and deal with walgreens. i could probably get it cheaper that way

4. cracker

cracker Member

What are some examples of well care visits? Are women's visits to gyne covered at 100%? I know sounds kinda funny but can be expensive! lol

5. slim6596

slim6596 Freight Relocation Tech

Pretty sure they are, also mammograms and such.

cracker likes this.
  6. Banker

Banker Active Member

I really think if the only reason you wouldn't take a Walmart driving job is the insurance, you are missing the big picture. I drove for Walmart for roughly 3 months. Walmart new I was a Teamster and still treated me with the utmost respect, because they value safe professional drivers more than any company that I know of. You could make enough money there to compensate for not having free insurance and a pension. I ran the numbers and with their contribution to a 401k you could have a monthly income comparable or better to my Teamster pension when you retire, assuming the stock market performed as it had over the last 100 years. The insurance definately was not as good as my Central States plan, but very few plans are and if you are making roughly $100,000 a year, you can afford to pay a few bucks a week for insurance. I did not stay there because I didn't like being gone from home for 5 days, my carhaul job gets me home every other day or so. I also did not like sleeping in the truck, but Walmart pays you $44.00 a night laid over, so I payed for a room and used the $44.00 towards that and wrote off the entire amount on my taxes. Thus the room really didn't cost me anything. Walmart is an excellent place to drive for a living, they really treat their drivers well, but it wasn't for me due to the reasons I listed. However for most people it would be hard to beat, even with a lower quality insurance plan than Central States. I would go back there in a minute, when I retire, to work 2-3 days a week. They do have part time drivers who are usually retired. The DC I worked at had many former and retired Teamsters working there and all liked Walmart because they were treated with respect and paid well.

cracker, Extreme4x4 and Stoney like this.
  7. trucker1979

trucker1979 New Member

I make 85,000 a year now. With the cost of the benefits and extra out of pocket expenses with the insurance it didn't make sense to leave abf. For example 3 vials of my wife's insulin cost me 200 dollars because we have a max of 200. The total cost was 2600 dollar . I bet I would have paid way more than that with the Walmart insurance. She has insulin pump supplies, test strips etc. I have a 400 dollar deductible and don't pay a dime for my insurance. I also am treated well at abf and I am usually home same day or next day. I know Walmart is a good job, but in my case it just didn't make sense to give up 10 years at abf

8. Banker

Banker Active Member

If you like your job, then I would agree you are better off staying with ABF. Being home every other day or so was the deciding factor in me not staying there. The Teamster insurance is second to none. My wife is a Ford UAW Nurse and she is on my insurance because several of her regular prescriptions are much less than when she was on her plan.

9. Hardball

Hardball Member

I have been at walmart a few months now from YRC and I do know the prescr. coverage here is superior to the teamster plan now the health Ins. not sure yet but have filled plenty of scripts free at walmart pharmacy some at yrc rates were 15-30$

10. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

The largest corporation in the WORLD cannot compete ? or is it they wont?

11. UPS STONER

UPS STONER Active Member

Be happy you have something, a lot of people have nothing!:05.18 flustered:!

sundrop03 and bentrim like this.
  12. bentrim

bentrim New Member

I don't get the point with the insurance comparison between Wal Mart and teamsters insurance being the deciding factor as to which is the better job. If you are at the tip top of the board at a teamster company then you have a great position and leaving is probably not an issue to start with, but if you are not at the top of the board then Wal Mart is an option to consider. Having a $100,000 + a year job (that treats you good) with 350 dollars a month going out for insurance and a dollar-for-dollar company match on 401K with stock options is still better than a 60 to 80,000 dollar a year job with free insurance and a dead pension (at least in the central states region).

Extreme4x4, kenneth and cracker like this.
  13. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY The Trump,of Patel Consulting

Agree with you there B. LTL is a very tough, and sometime aggravating experience. I have a Walmart DC a mile from my house and really want to apply but my wife will be more pissed off at me than she is usually with their schedule. 5.5 out and 3 off.

14. Extreme4x4

Extreme4x4 Member

With a 6/3 you are out 5 nights. If you have a 5/2 you are only out 4.

You will make more money, be a happier and less stressed person, and have job security. Your wife will be surprised at the difference in you, and your happiness and excitement over the job will carry over to her.

15. emmit

emmit New Member

Change the future wife. Lol! Sorry I had to.

16. oldguns

oldguns Active Member

Bingo, Driving days and sleeping nights...less stress . Just give her an allowance to spend while your gone.

Shilka likes this.
  17. cracker

cracker Member

You have to tell guy's that you have to work 14 hrs a day to make the money. So you will sleep REAL good at night!! lol

18. oldguns

oldguns Active Member

Is there a driving job without long hours...?