Wankel engined motor bike?

I had a Mazda pickup in the 70's with a Wankel, it hauled ass and was a blast to drive but used lots of gas for a small truck. It was just like this one.

1974-Mazda-Rotary-Pick-up-Front-620x412-795060.jpg[img]

Me Father bought a Wankel Mazda in '73 or '74.
I got me driver license with it and Cop attention.
4 speed Wagon. I smoked a couple of Porches on the I-605 in Kookafornia. It was GREAT for Drifting.
Glad Dad didn't get the MG Midget he was considering.
Motors were really good till around 75,000 miles, then get a new one (engine, not car).
- - -
A Wankel powered Bike, never heard of one till this thread.
- - -
The Yamaha RD400 2 stroke twin, 6 speed I had for a short time would have walked away from the W2000.

Last edited:
I had a Mazda pickup in the 70's with a Wankel, it hauled ass and was a blast to drive but used lots of gas for a small truck. It was just like this one.

1974-Mazda-Rotary-Pick-up-Front-620x412-795060.jpg[img]
frankly, i seem to only remember the RX-7 or whatever it was called way back then, that had them. i was not aware of anything else. i never worked on them, i refused to work on something i had no knowledge of or technical resources as also back in the day, NO manufacturer shared repair or tech information with anyone BUT the dealerships. which sucked for the customers, as the dealership mechanics were as ignorant to the rotary engine as the independent garages were..!!!

At age 16 the farmer I worked for had a green pickup with the Wankel in it, it was an automatic. We pulled horse trailers with it and I used to take it to the grain farm and load bags of oats into it. I didn't know anything about its oil consumption and don't remember where the other dipstick was, I always knew where the one behind the steering wheel was. I recall some sort of choke to the left of the steering wheel and it went off automatically, it was odd. The thing was slow off the line and built power as revs increased, they didn't really have a power curve, it was more like power line, the more RPM's the more power, period. And they way they work they only have one moving part and that is the rotor through the center so they could handle some revs. I could never grasp the full concept like I can with regular engines. I also didn't know that they were used in any other applications.

At age 16 the farmer I worked for had a green pickup with the Wankel in it, it was an automatic. We pulled horse trailers with it and I used to take it to the grain farm and load bags of oats into it. I didn't know anything about its oil consumption and don't remember where the other dipstick was, I always knew where the one behind the steering wheel was. I recall some sort of choke to the left of the steering wheel and it went off automatically, it was odd. The thing was slow off the line and built power as revs increased, they didn't really have a power curve, it was more like power line, the more RPM's the more power, period. And they way they work they only have one moving part and that is the rotor through the center so they could handle some revs. I could never grasp the full concept like I can with regular engines. I also didn't know that they were used in any other applications.

I liked the dipstick line, reminded me of our safety dept.
They claimed the reason we only had a single seat in our tractors, is so we knew which side to drive from.
Hope I'm not reminded to never end a sentence with a preposition. duh! deduct 10 points

79 wasn't a good year for the transportation industry You either heard of vehicles built better in the 60s or mid 80s
I had a Chrysler built in the mid 70s that was anything short of a POS :shhit:

79 wasn't a good year for the transportation industry You either heard of vehicles built better in the 60s or mid 80s
yeah i know, as a former wrenchers i came across the chrysler stables as being POS's..

The quality of steel used in that little era was horrific with vehicles rusting out in two years. Many people don't realize it but that was one of the major issues that left the Japanese cars into our market. Our parents remembered Pearl Harbor like it was yesterday and wouldn't buy Japanese, Pearl Harbor meant very little to my generation, we were reaching the age when we were employed and looking for new cars, American cars were ::shit::, Japanese cars ran 'til the fenders fell off after ten years and they were cheap compared to American cars. It was the perfect time and opportunity for them to flourish and thrive in our market. The swell was so great that whoever was president at the time put quotas on imported cars and they started building factories here.

The quality of steel used in that little era was horrific with vehicles rusting out in two years. Many people don't realize it but that was one of the major issues that left the Japanese cars into our market. Our parents remembered Pearl Harbor like it was yesterday and wouldn't buy Japanese, Pearl Harbor meant very little to my generation, we were reaching the age when we were employed and looking for new cars, American cars were :::shit:::, Japanese cars ran 'til the fenders fell off after ten years and they were cheap compared to American cars. It was the perfect time and opportunity for them to flourish and thrive in our market. The swell was so great that whoever was president at the time put quotas on imported cars and they started building factories here.
in the beginning, japanese cars were rotting out faster than the US car. reason being the japanese did not know how much road salts we use. i had a customer come in with a honda cvcc (ki think they changed the name in later years to civic) and i can assure you, there was almost nighting left to the car but the engine. it was not able to go up on the lift as well. i refused to work on it and highly advised the customer to junk it. instead, that customer went to another garage. oh well, try and save a life or two, didn't count back then i guess, from carbon monoxide or the seats falling down into the roadway.....

You were graced with the perfect vehicle for all you knew then.
I wooda left it in neutral, slammed the throttle (for the getty up go) then slammed the trans to drive and shortly thereafter had me tail slammed after being yanked outta whatever was left of the car.:1904:

Yeah, there were Wankle engined Races, some even on race tracks:1036316054:, plus all kinds of modifications for engines and (car) body.
I liked the fact that those engines put out some power equivalent to a decent V-6.
There be some vintage cars at shows like for all other cars.
CHEERS!!

I heard you can get thrown jail over propositions, but then Breeze pointed out you could also have points deducted too, yikes.
What ya saying driver?
preparation, preposition, proposition, predisposition.
We USED TO have the ability to ADD/DELETE Points here at TB.
CHUCKLES signing off......end of line