SAIA | Wanting to change the uniform policy

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
For a long time I've been very dissappointed in the uniforms issued (or partially paid for) to the drivers.

Being one whose bubble is in the middle I have great difficulty in keeping the shirt tucked in, and obviously since my waist has moved down a few inches, my pants pulled up. It is a constant battle to at least keep the shirt tucked in as our beloved employer insists.

When Tony(the veepee of company operations)A. recently visited our first home(you know the place where we work) I requested that those who make decisions about uniforms consider making available shirts that could by design remain untucked.

Also requested was permission to wear straw hats of particular design instead of the winter hats we seem to be issued(and that very infrequently) to allow maximum cooling for those of us who are follically challenged and don't want a sunburnt noggin.

Opinions anyone?

Yes I'm still part of the family

Tony was very prompt and courteous in his reply.

Our uniform supplier is supposed to be pricing shirts that won't have to be tucked in.

They are looking into getting "mesh" hats.

The straw hat issue is still on the table. My take on this is that a nice looking straw hat (which does not include the western style) with a broad brim would be better for us in helping to prevent skin cancer. We will see how that one flies.

I would encourage as many as would to e mail Tony A. and let him know what your thoughts are on this matter. It might be just the right amount of interest to tip things in our favor.

I even raised the question to him posed in another thread in reference to the bonus.

Seen the samples

Tony, the veepee, was in town this week and said the shirt samples would be in shortly. The following day our regional manager had a shirt sample. It is similar in design to the untucked shirts worn by UPS and UPS Freight. Providing they make them long enough (so we won't have to order oversize) they appear to fill the bill. The regional and terminal managers were concerned with not having to use duct tape to cover the "plumbers cracks" when we have to bend over.

As for mesh hats, that will be the old school style with the solid front and mesh back half of the hat. Not what was envisioned, but definitely a vast improvement over the solid cloth hats previously issued.

Finally

Looks like drivers can start ordering the new style shirt. Hopefully, they offer more than one choice. The photo I saw had the white shirt. Us dirt and grease magnets don't need that kinda shirt. :biglaugh:

I agree, however after 13 years of uniforms its kinda hard to go buy clothes that I know I'm eventually going to get grease on and not have the boss share part of the expense.

BTW I did ask Tony A. if they could pay the full ride for uniform shirts and he said he would check into it. Something about price comparison shopping was said.

new shirts

Bro, when I worked @ saia we got $100 a year in uniform allowes. @ $7 a piece how many shirts do U need? Thats like 1 a month U can trash:chairshot:

Bro, when I worked @ saia we got $100 a year in uniform allowes. @ $7 a piece how many shirts do U need? Thats like 1 a month U can trash:chairshot:
Linehaul gets $100 a year, city even gets more, I think. There was a driver from a small terminal who wanted some shirts back in November. His TM told him only city drivers got uniforms, then I informed him of the real deal. Now he has some nice new shirts.:1036316054:

When I was in the city, the $100 per year, now every 6 months, was available to me.

Sadly, when I went to the dark side that went away. Linehaul only receives a 50 % cost sharing arrangement on all apparel. I even had my own mesh hats made when all the company offered was the solid cloth hat. Expensive, but longer lasting and I don't "just ask".

I'm of the opinion that drivers that wear uniforms or at least uniform shirts are more easily identified and that can save a lotta hassle when coming into a place for the first time. At least I look like I belong there.

i had no idea straw hats were not allowed. i have no desire to wear one, but there are a couple city drivers that wear them in the summer here. i wear uniform shirts b/c no matter how careful i am, at some point during the week i seem to get something on me. maybe one day i will be able to wear dress slacks and a nice shirt like some drivers. until that day..uniform shirts it is.

Any one know what the JAC shirt is on the order form? What happened to the white shirt red stripe SS? Cintas does not know what this shirt is.

you could always do what i do. i tuck in the very front a little bit and leave the rest untucked. it's stylish to me and i don't have to keep tucking in the back while i'm on the dock. of course, you can't have a large belly for that to work.