Yellow | WARN Act Payment

Why aren’t MFN partners and the rest suing for the WARN act? As well as our pensions ? Aren’t they the true victim’s here.
Skull, WARN Act is for displaced employees, which MFN is not. They may have legal claims, but so far as I know not under WARN Act. Ditto for pension.

Ex, what about incentivizing the drivers who worked hard, the dock people who worked hard, the office people who worked hard, the mechanics who worked hard, the supervisors and dispatchers who worked hard? If it wasn't for us, there would be no company. Out of a job when the dust settles? We're out of a job now!

If there were a need for your services during the wind-down don't you think they would need to incentivize you to stay? Let's say there were 50 drivers at your barn. YRC is closing down, but needs 2 drivers from your barn to hang around to help clean out the system. ABF and TForce are absorbing most of the volume (in this hypothetical) and need 30 drivers immediately. Are you going to be one of the 30, or one of the 2? How much more would I have to pay you to be one of the 2 for the next 6 months, knowing that when you are done those other 30 positions have all been filled?

Ex, what about incentivizing the drivers who worked hard, the dock people who worked hard, the office people who worked hard, the mechanics who worked hard, the supervisors and dispatchers who worked hard? If it wasn't for us, there would be no company. Out of a job when the dust settles? We're out of a job now!
If Yellow underpaid you. If Yellow was underfunding your pension? If your skillset was worth more than you were being compensated, why are you out of a job 5 months after the shutdown?
Ex is correct. Senior execs would have had no problem finding new jobs. As much as posters here want to blame them, they kept a company with 1.5 billion dollars in debt operating for 14 years providing good incomes for 30,000 families. Those executives have a marketable skillset.
Shutting down the largest LTL carrier in the country is an enormous undertaking. Having people in place who know the company's organization saved Yellow more than it cost in bonuses. Yellow did not just decide to shutdown on July 30, 2023 the night before. It only makes sense and its good business practice to have had an orderly shutdown plan in place since 2009 and updated regularly.

If there were a need for your services during the wind-down don't you think they would need to incentivize you to stay? Let's say there were 50 drivers at your barn. YRC is closing down, but needs 2 drivers from your barn to hang around to help clean out the system. ABF and TForce are absorbing most of the volume (in this hypothetical) and need 30 drivers immediately. Are you going to be one of the 30, or one of the 2? How much more would I have to pay you to be one of the 2 for the next 6 months, knowing that when you are done those other 30 positions have all been filled?
You are wasting your time being logical. I would bet that the vast majority on this board have been in their position. Mine was Preston in 1999. Most of us acted like grownups and moved on, never looking back. The rest went through life forever being victims.

If Yellow underpaid you. If Yellow was underfunding your pension? If your skillset was worth more than you were being compensated, why are you out of a job 5 months after the shutdown?
Ex is correct. Senior execs would have had no problem finding new jobs. As much as posters here want to blame them, they kept a company with 1.5 billion dollars in debt operating for 14 years providing good incomes for 30,000 families. Those executives have a marketable skillset.
Shutting down the largest LTL carrier in the country is an enormous undertaking. Having people in place who know the company's organization saved Yellow more than it cost in bonuses. Yellow did not just decide to shutdown on July 30, 2023 the night before. It only makes sense and its good business practice to have had an orderly shutdown plan in place since 2009 and updated regularly.
Razor, you ask a legitimate question. Here's your legitimate answer: it's called RETIREMENT! I am a senior citizen as are quite a percentage of my immediate colleagues. I made (with my wife) the decision that since I'm late 60s and already receiving my Western States pension, starting over somewhere else is a path we don't wish to go down. So I didn't. I will quite bluntly state that those around me considered my skillset to be far more valuable than my compensation.
On top of that, I know of a handful of similarly situated people in multiple locations who in addition to myself did indeed offer their services to facilitate cleaning out the system. We were absolutely ignored and pushed out the gate on July 30th, with over 30,000 shipments still in the system.

But Ex, aren't Yellow's senior executives so competent, so "in-demand", so learned and so "on the pulse" that the entire industry would open the gates wide just to have the honor of having those executives come on board at their company to work their magic?? Uhhhh....Next!
Then, as you will see in my reply to Razorback, several of us did in fact offer to be "the 2", since we were not going to pursue new positions anyway. We were ignored, and the work we could have efficiently performed was taken on by people who have little to no prowess or credentials to do those tasks. So, your reasoning is flawed beyond belief.
How about quit defending the utter malfeasance and incompetence that was a very significant factor in this company's demise?

Last edited:
You are wasting your time being logical. I would bet that the vast majority on this board have been in their position. Mine was Preston in 1999. Most of us acted like grownups and moved on, never looking back. The rest went through life forever being victims.
Though sometimes I feel as the keyboard strokes are a waste of bandwidth, I have found RealTeamster to be quite level-headed and reasonable. We don't agree on much, but I think we can find some common ground and/or mutual respect for each others' opinions.

Razor, you ask a legitimate question. Here's your legitimate answer: it's called RETIREMENT! I am a senior citizen as are quite a percentage of my immediate colleagues. I made (with my wife) the decision that since I'm late 60s and already receiving my Western States pension, starting over somewhere else is a path we don't wish to go down. So I didn't. I will quite bluntly state that those around me considered my skillset to be far more valuable than my compensation.
On top of that, I know of a handful of similarly situated people in multiple locations who in addition to myself did indeed offer their services to facilitate cleaning out the system. We were absolutely ignored and pushed out the gate on July 30th, with over 30,000 shipments still in the system.
Retirement is not an option for most.
My own experience with the Preston shutdown was all about skillset. 25 years at Preston, 2 million miles safe driving with doubles and triples experience. I will admit that I had some references from some Yellow management people but I was shocked that Yellow hired me at 50 years old especially given my 21 years as a Teamster steward and executive board member in 3 different locals.

But Ex, aren't Yellow's senior executives so competent, so "in-demand", so learned and so "on the pulse" that the entire industry would open the gates wide just to have the honor of having those executives come on board at their company to work their magic??

I don't think so. I know I wouldn't hire any of them, even if I could afford to do so.

Then, as you will see in my reply to Razorback, several of us did in fact offer to be "the 2", since we were not going to pursue new positions anyway. We were ignored, and the work we could have efficiently performed was taken on by people who have little to no prowess or credentials to do those tasks. So, your reasoning is flawed beyond belief.
How about quit defending the utter malfeasance and incompetence that was a very significant factor in this company's demise?
Motive and intent are the difference makers. I don't want potentially disgruntled employees helping clean up the system. If those who worked with you day in/day out (dispatchers/TM) were authorized to select the 2 it likely would have worked out just fine. That decision was likely made higher up the food-chain by folks detached from the personalities involved.

Retirement is not an option for most.
My own experience with the Preston shutdown was all about skillset. 25 years at Preston, 2 million miles safe driving with doubles and triples experience. I will admit that I had some references from some Yellow management people but I was shocked that Yellow hired me at 50 years old especially given my 21 years as a Teamster steward and executive board member in 3 different locals.
You are so correct, retirement is not an option for most. With regard to your 21 years as a steward, you have me beat! I was only eight years in that pickle barrel. If the math and inferences are correct, you're now 74? Hopefully retired?

Gee if they were so good keeping the company afloat for 14 years with the debt you quoted why couldn’t they get great financing on the equity they had in the terminals that were worth way more than the debt? And if they were so great why couldn’t they fix the cash flow problems that killed them? I think you’re not looking at big picture here. We had a dock guy say multiple times, they are more interested in telling everyone how old of a company it is and what the name of the day was going to be on the door than actually running the company.
DEBT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM IT WAS POOR MANAGEMENT.

I don't think so. I know I wouldn't hire any of them, even if I could afford to do so.

Motive and intent are the difference makers. I don't want potentially disgruntled employees helping clean up the system. If those who worked with you day in/day out (dispatchers/TM) were authorized to select the 2 it likely would have worked out just fine. That decision was likely made higher up the food-chain by folks detached from the personalities involved.
Ex, thank you for your kind remarks. I strive to be fair, reasonable and above-board always. I agree with you on both counts. I wouldn't hire any of these people either. But then I have always been a fan of participative management. Make everybody a stakeholder and preferably a shareholder so that they too have "skin in the game".
Those of us who were headed for retirement anyway were in my estimation the perfect corps to clean out the system, leaving the position-seeking to those who need to find a new "gig". Yes, I am certain that these decisions (along with so many others) were made at the corporate level. To my mind, if you're going to hire someone to manage a terminal in a large freight line, hire them to do that. Guidelines? Of course! Policies? Of course! But give them enough latitude to make local decisions that work locally. I saw a marked absence of that for years. Remember, "this here ain't back home".

Those of us who were headed for retirement anyway were in my estimation the perfect corps to clean out the system, leaving the position-seeking to those who need to find a new "gig". Yes, I am certain that these decisions (along with so many others) were made at the corporate level. To my mind, if you're going to hire someone to manage a terminal in a large freight line, hire them to do that. Guidelines? Of course! Policies? Of course! But give them enough latitude to make local decisions that work locally. I saw a marked absence of that for years. Remember, "this here ain't back home".
Absolutely, give them the opportunity to contribute to the end. Go out feeling like they did all they could and were a valued asset.

Your observations about the lack of autonomy is the main reason I have empathy for those "management"-types. Give them guidelines, give them some policies and get out of their way. Let them accomplish the tasks you hired them to accomplish.

The teamsters union meme showing the Yellow Tombstone caused a mass exodus of customers from Yellow companies onto other LTL carriers.
That was not predictable until the fool put the Yellow Tombstone onto social media.
Many customers were watching the Yellow situation closely, they enjoyed the cheap pricing offered due to the low labor costs but feared for the future. Thus they watched Yellow with caution.
Make no mistake, SOB and the teamsters killed this company..
YRC contracted the cancer in 2009, it didn't kill them until 2023. Did the cigarettes kill the individual who smoked them and got cancer or the person who put the skull and cross bones warning on the package.

What he’s saying razor, is that they never even offer it. Similar to what you was saying about a vote, it wasn’t offered.