SAIA | WARNING...New Cornbinders

coyote3

TB Lurker
Credits
I had the pleasure to drive one of these beasts last week and wow.My meet guy got one and after an incident he turned it in and said he didnt want it.He had told me about someone cutting him off and the tractor automatically applying the brakes so hard the frontend set down and scared him to death.So I,being unsure and wanting to know for myself,intentionally ran up close to a camper just getting on the ramp.If the roads had been wet or icy I would have been in the ditch or jackknifed.Be aware,its not like the volvos automatically turning on the jackbrake with the vorad.

I had that happen as well. It looks like that when someone pulls in front of you and in not pulling away fast enough the brakes come on. If the other vehicle is going fast enough when they cut in front of you the brakes don't come on.

Just make sure the the cruse control is off if the roads are wet.

I am assigned an '07 single for my pup run but the terminal keeps running out of pups. I finally gave up and found me an '02 in the terminal spare pool. It may have a million plus miles on it but she runs, pulls good, good air, and no fancy gadgets. You can keep the newer stuff, I'll stay with this '02.

weight doesn't matter to me. they bought single axles, and want to still load vans...screw em. the only time it bothers me is when the trailer weighs below 34k and is over on the drive. I had a 24k one the other night that weighed 22k on the drive. Just shook my head and went out the gate.

yeah, i drive one of these also. shut the cruise off while in traffic or if running in curves or hilly terrain. It will also apply brakes if you are taking a curve too fast. in other words the unit has a sensor on the body of the truck. if the sensor senses the tractor body is leaning in excess if will think you are going to have a accident. IT WILL THEN APPLY BRAKES!
These units will only ID metal objects. I had mine sense a bridge as the road dropped below the bridge it applied the brakes.
the other thing about these units are they have the ability to brake down the braking as far as to one side or the other of the tractor. depending on what the computer reads on the body movement.

both of ours are already broke. one is at the international dealer b/c of a check engine light and the abs light being on. forever they could not get the parts to fix it. btw....this truck only has 2000 miles on it. the other one has a check engine light on also. everyone that has driven one did not like them, and the senior guys who they will be assigned to will not drive them again until they are forced to when bids come out.

the trick to keeping the tractor from applying service brakes is to quickly switch off the cruise. the bendix wingman unit only functions with cruise on, but it does not need to be set to a speed. you can hit the brakes coming off the highway, and if someone cuts in front of you, it will still smash the brakes for you... if someone slides right in front of you (less than 1 second following distance), the service brakes are coming on! just hit the cruise off button before they are completely in front of you, and put your foot on the throttle and back off like you normally would (or should, lol).