TForce | Watch out! UPS is watching you!

UPSFreightMan

TB Lurker
Credits
Heard that a driver was fired yesterday in FRM after being followed by the terminal manager. He supposedly watched him sit in the corner of a mall for 20 minutes while he entered false diad information. The FRM driver I spoke to stated that the manager has been going out in the middle of the day and following drivers waiting for them to screw up. I don't know if its only the one terminal manager with a hard on or if it is systemwide so watch out!

If that is true then he was stealing time. And trying to cover it up falsifying Diad entries.

had a linehaul driver in clt put down that he fueled his truck every night .shop looked at the fuel books and found out that he wasn't they fired him but the union got his job back about 1 month later

Do the right thing and you have nothing to worry about.

Most red flags happen when a driver comes in on OT, regardless of the amount of stops he has. They check his DIAD entries and than the microscope comes out.

our term. here in the north has been doing that too ,wish they would pay that much attention to the customer service they jammed us with when they took over

Heard that a driver was fired yesterday in FRM after being followed by the terminal manager. He supposedly watched him sit in the corner of a mall for 20 minutes while he entered false diad information. The FRM driver I spoke to stated that the manager has been going out in the middle of the day and following drivers waiting for them to screw up. I don't know if its only the one terminal manager with a hard on or if it is systemwide so watch out!

did i come in on time today YES did i complete a pre trip inspection YES did i leave the yard on time YES did i complete 13 deliveries and 10+ pickups YES did i interact with all customers at my stops YES did i come back in and go back out to do a switch YES did i safely operate a commercial vehicle in adverse weather conditions YES did i make it to my most important stop YES

so if i choose to take a few min to wind down, clear my head, smoke a ciggarette, whatever, so be it. Waiting on door it is

Thats stealing. If there were twenty four city drivers that lied and took twenty minute breaks everyday, the company would be forking out 8 unworked hours a day.

We have two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch, if you feel you need an additional break or what have you, ask for a smoke break, let them know you just ate and now you need to visit the crapper, etc. When you falsify documents and diad inputs, your bound to get caught. Hopefully its a lesson learned, hopefully he gets his job back.

did i come in on time today YES did i complete a pre trip inspection YES did i leave the yard on time YES did i complete 13 deliveries and 10+ pickups YES did i interact with all customers at my stops YES did i come back in and go back out to do a switch YES did i safely operate a commercial vehicle in adverse weather conditions YES did i make it to my most important stop YES

so if i choose to take a few min to wind down, clear my head, smoke a ciggarette, whatever, so be it. Waiting on door it is

Thats what we get paid for. It is not do what we choose. Managements job is to control and organize the company, the only difference is, there are rules and guidelines to follow. We cant run around doing as we please. Also, theres no need to rush and speed across town. Safety first!

These diads do use gps, they geocode every stop they log every stop the time and over the past year or two they have been compiling a matrix and the roads will route all of your stops and pickups the night before and tell the dockworkers how to load them.

This driver probaly entered in a stop or two while sitting down, the Diad sees two different stops entered in the same gps location and it now thinks those two stops are next to eachother and no drive time between the two.

Funny this thread came up.I was drivin by my local small package ups yesterday
and they were installing a bunch of surveillance camera's.I'm sure it for multiple reasons

im surprised that gps hasn't been implemented into the diads yet.

What makes you think it isn't? As for cellular towers or satellite, my understanding is that the diad uses cell towers. It is possible to use the free gps satellites for location and a cell tower for communication. Having a dedicated satellite would be far more expensive.

I agree with Overnite. They are compiling data right now. City routes are being run by different drivers at our terminal. Having multiple drivers run the same route gives them a better sampling on how long it takes at each stop.

if you look on the back of the diad on the label it says cdma. CDMA is a technology that both sprint and verizon use for the cell phone service. the gps come from our governments satellites in orbit.

GPS is one thing but dispatch would need to have the software that tells him/her where each and every driver is. From what I have seen, they do not have that. All they have is a list of all the drivers and pick-ups needed to make. No 3D or 2D map showing little trailer icons, or longitude and latitude locations.

They may not have the software locally, but don't think the information isn't available and isn't being stored in a database.

Keep in mind that your cell phone has the ability to allow someone (if you allow it and pay for it) to log onto a website and see where you're at. I think Sprint offers this service for family plans, for example.

But like someone else stated. Just do your job and don't screw off. This already is and will be even more so in the future a great paying job. In 2013 city drivers will make $26 which translates into almost $75k for a 10 hour day. Someone who works 12 hours a day will make $95k and 8 hours is $54k. Not too bad, huh? And you'd want to throw that away to do what? Lie to them and screw off for 20 minutes.

Just do your job and be professional about it. That's all you need to do and you'll be just fine.

At least freight isn't as bad as parcel yet.
Parcel drivers have supervisor go on ride alongs.
The supervisor writes down every area of the parcel drivers route that can be improved on.
They also count the drivers steps,and one parcel driver told me they measure their stride,if the supervisor thinks the driver is walking to slow,he walks to the door of the custoimer and writes down what he did.

Alright then as far as using the waiting for door item on the Diad.
That won't always work,maybe once in a while but if you make a habit of it you will get busted.

Just think Zabasearch,and Google Earth sites will take anybody on their computer from a satelite,way up in the sky,all the way down to anybodys front door.

If anybody can do that on their desk top,or note book for free.
Don't you think UPS can also do that looking at the route drivers?

Heres my solution for unwinding at the end of your hard day without being terminated.
Just clock out,and you can have all the time you want to rest up.

Or you can always resign,buy your own truck,then take as long as you want between stops,as well as all the breaks you want.

When one of my co-workers would whine to me about this topic I'd always say you gotta do what they want you to do when the one that has their name on the equipment,also is on the paycheck.