TForce | Watch out! UPS is watching you!

I was told that UPS company policy is that if a driver is followed there must be 2 people in the vehicle. One to drive and one to take notes. It's a matter of safety.

One of the parcel drivers I see everyday is a shop steward. He was written up for buying a coke! Had a full cart at the mall on a hot day and stopped for a minute to buy a coke out of a machine. The TM's wife saw him and reported his 'stealing from the company!'

I'd tell you where he told the TM to shove it, but it might get me in trouble....

This same guy told me two years ago, before freight got diads, that they were starting to track the drivers. The union had to 'okay' this.

Wow, that lady should mind her business. :chairshot:

I'd hate to say it but:

Article 23
Time Sheets, Time Clocks, and Video Cameras

Section 3. Computer Tracking Devices
No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices unless the employee engages in conduct creating imminent danger to other employees or the general public or other conduct such as dishonesty or recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

Dishonesty

Sorry guys... they got us!!!

Without looking at the contract, I agree. Something of that nature is wrong. You shouldnt have to lie. If the driver was honest and straight up, it would of been a whole different story.

If a package driver uses the restroom while not on break they also get written up for that as well. They are given their breaks to take care of that stuff.

As for the diads, how do you think they will go about "putting" GPS in them? Or will they just buy all new ones with that feature already installed? It would have been smarter to have bought them already equipped with it. They dropped the ball on that, didn't they. I'd love to see our local management pry one open to "add" the GPS to it. That'd be worth the cost of having to buy a new diad. What do one of those go for anyways, with or without the GPS "added" to it?

I'd hate to say it but:

Article 23

No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices unless the employee engages in conduct creating imminent danger to other employees or the general public or other conduct such as dishonesty or recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

Dishonesty

YUP , You got me!!!!:1036316054: This is a grey area though. Simply saying it took you 2 hours to get from point A to point B when other drivers take 1 HR. is not enough to wright someone up. This article speaks in reference to malicious conduct resulting in a serious accident, putting someone in immenent danger or dihonesty that promotes the end result.

If a package driver uses the restroom while not on break they also get written up for that as well. They are given their breaks to take care of that stuff.

As for the diads, how do you think they will go about "putting" GPS in them? Or will they just buy all new ones with that feature already installed? It would have been smarter to have bought them already equipped with it. They dropped the ball on that, didn't they. I'd love to see our local management pry one open to "add" the GPS to it. That'd be worth the cost of having to buy a new diad. What do one of those go for anyways, with or without the GPS "added" to it?

The Diads already contain GPS, Small package has the same Diads and they are already turned on. It is just a matter of flipping a switch, furthermore, remember " in route breaks "(although allowed in the contract, and is in reference to) are paid for PU&D Guy's.

There is not to much to it. I have seen a couple tractors from the north that they put GPS on them because of some high dollar loads pulled from a customer. Only these tractors are allowed to pull this particular freight. Its just a very small antenna on the truck. Nothing inside the cab.

There is not to much to it. I have seen a couple tractors from the north that they put GPS on them because of some high dollar loads pulled from a customer. Only these tractors are allowed to pull this particular freight. Its just a very small antenna on the truck. Nothing inside the cab.

We have 2 in the north, city and road alike.

YUP , You got me!!!!:1036316054: This is a grey area though. Simply saying it took you 2 hours to get from point A to point B when other drivers take 1 HR. is not enough to wright someone up. This article speaks in reference to malicious conduct resulting in a serious accident, putting someone in immenent danger or dihonesty that promotes the end result.

This is not just for the guys that take just a little bit longer than another. It is for the guy that is milking 14hr day on a regular basis... Taking brakes for an hour everyday a few times a day, Stopping and napping without entering it in the diad, Falsifying stops on routes, Taking unscheduled stops at places to BS with friends. It's stupid crap like this is why they can. Like it said in the contract:or other conduct such as dishonesty or recklessness resulting in a serious accident.
it's all in the wording. With the words "or" separating the sentence, it screws us. I have a friend that is a lawyer, He looked to the contract and said that there are some good points in the contract but a lot of bad points in it just because of the wording. The union will not fight it because they don't want to get take the chance of getting fined. Like some jacka$$ supervisor in KAN says all of the time... "That's a Gray area".

I don't like how UPS Freight has taken advantage of us like they have but we are the ones who agreed with the contract and signed for it. We have no choice to deal with it. I'm not here to hype everyone up about this and I am sorry if I do offend some of you guys but in 2013, We will have the chance to make things better for us and not them.

This is not just for the guys that take just a little bit longer than another. It is for the guy that is milking 14hr day on a regular basis... Taking brakes for an hour everyday a few times a day, Stopping and napping without entering it in the diad, Falsifying stops on routes, Taking unscheduled stops at places to BS with friends. It's stupid crap like this is why they can. Like it said in the contract:or other conduct such as dishonesty or recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

I'm not here to hype everyone up about this and I am sorry if I do offend some of you guys but in 2013, We will have the chance to make things better for us and not them.

I will not apologize if I offend anyone with this, but if we have guys who do what you just described, then I WANT them to get fired. We still have to allow management the tools to weed out people like this. Just because we're union doesn't mean that we have to protect the lazy. That's long been the knock on unions and having people like that working here or anywhere drag the company down.

Just come in, do your job to the best of your ability and collect that check at the end of the week. The fair day's work for a fair day's pay cuts both ways and when we have all of our guys busting their *** like they do at package it is then and only then that we can expect to get pay comparable to theirs.

If we want UPS Freight to be the leader in this business then we must do our part as well. If you think about it all you need to open up a freight company is equipment and drivers and shiny new equipment is not enough to get you freight. Hard working professional drivers and dock workers who actually give a crap about their job, the freight and the company mean so much more than the equipment you're driving. We will make or break this company. The pace of the rebranding has very little to do with it.

One thing I noticed is that too many of our guys have this sense of entitlement. Just because you work here and the contract says you'll be making 66 cents a mile in 2013 doesn't mean you are entitled to that. You have to earn that money and you'll be doing a lot more than you're doing today to get it. Anytime the company gives you more money you can be sure that they expect more out of you. Where do you think UPS will come up with this extra 10 cents in this economy? Higher freight rates? Guess again. When other companies are folding and cutting wages, you better feel real fortunate to be where you are and you better do everything you can to keep this job. They owe you nothing and they don't care if you have worked here for 22 years. Remember, there are going to be a lot of hard working men who will gladly do your job and they'll likely work harder than you to keep it once they get in here. That, my friends, is how they'll justify paying us more over the next four and a half years.

Like I said, come in, do your job to the best of your ability, do whatever they ask you to do and then go home with that check every week feeling grateful and proud that you have this job.

And don't be afraid to kick the lazy ones in the ***, because remember, they're holding you back.

And another thing. Quit badmouthing the company. UPS is, hands down, one of the best companies in this world to work for. You know what they think about their image, so quit trying to destroy it. I know I've said critical things, but I've been careful to note that my attacks were on local, leftover Overnite managers.

I don't have to bad mouth the company. They do a great job of that themselves. Like taking holidays away from the employees.

it's all in the wording. With the words "or" separating the sentence, it screws us. I have a friend that is a lawyer, He looked to the contract and said that there are some good points in the contract but a lot of bad points in it just because of the wording. The union will not fight it because they don't want to get take the chance of getting fined. Like some jacka$$ supervisor in KAN says all of the time... "That's a Gray area".

I don't like how UPS Freight has taken advantage of us like they have but we are the ones who agreed with the contract and signed for it. We have no choice to deal with it. I'm not here to hype everyone up about this and I am sorry if I do offend some of you guys but in 2013, We will have the chance to make things better for us and not them.

First of all forget what your sup. says , if worse comes to worse he will not be the one fighting the gray area. Nor will he fight for you.

Ask your BA if you are unsure, I also want the company to succeed and have no compassion for someone milking the clock if they get caught red handed, but as a steward it is my job to serve, it is up to your sup. to write up, and allow the process to take its coarse. The grievance procedure.

What you have quoted in the contract is stating that "Dishonesty" or Recklessness" will not be tolerated in a serious accident. It does not say if you milk the clock for 30 minutes after taking your 30 minute lunch 2 hours earlier that you can be terminated. It mearly speaks in reference to an accident. Do not read more then what is stated.

Ok, Let me try to make this easier for everyone to see what I mean. I will break it down to what it means to Richmond.

Article 23

------------------

1. No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices unless

a. the employee engages in

1. conduct creating imminent danger to other employees
2. or the general public

b. or other conduct such as

1. dishonesty or

2. recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

When we went thru diad training,the trainer told us that the diads have everything built in to track,however he also said all that would be needed to use this option would be a flash downloaded from the mainframe..
Also,if you go to UPSers you will see a article about the new generation diads that the package drivers will be soon getting.....who do you think will be getting their old ones??
Have A Safe Day!
Karen

The new ones will have a little web cam in them, so they can see if you have the approved look on your face when dealing with a problem customer or when reading some idiot dispatchers idiot messages.

When we went thru diad training,the trainer told us that the diads have everything built in to track,however he also said all that would be needed to use this option would be a flash downloaded from the mainframe..
Also,if you go to UPSers you will see a article about the new generation diads that the package drivers will be soon getting.....who do you think will be getting their old ones??
Have A Safe Day!
Karen

We have the old diads already.

Ok, Let me try to make this easier for everyone to see what I mean. I will break it down to what it means to Richmond.

Article 23

------------------

1. No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices unless

a. the employee engages in

1. conduct creating imminent danger to other employees
2. or the general public

b. or other conduct such as

1. dishonesty or

2. recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

Yes it does mean this to Richmond, I am sure it does.

This article is in reference to an accident or malicious behavior resulting in such an event, this to makes no sense.

The 4 "or's" are examples of what a diad can be used for in reference to a serious accident. This article does not say that someone can be written up for stealing what they consider to be 15 minutes of unaccounted time. The article is not that vague. The article, without doubt, is in reference to a serious accident or in reference to a malicious event resulting in a serious accident or harming employees, or the public, not stealing time.

This is the way Richmond should see it.

1.No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices unless
A.the employee engages in conduct creating imminent danger to other employees or the general public.
B.or other conduct such as dishonesty or recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

Now I ask you, How can a diad tell someone I am creating imminent danger to other employees or the general public?
How can a diad tell someone that my conduct, or my dishonesty, or my recklessness was the result of a serious accident?

The only thing a diad can tell someone is whether I am supposed to be there or not. and at what time. Which brings us back to the original statement, No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices.

Yes it does mean this to Richmond, I am sure it does.

This article is in reference to an accident or malicious behavior resulting in such an event, this to makes no sense.

The 4 "or's" are examples of what a diad can be used for in reference to a serious accident. This article does not say that someone can be written up for stealing what they consider to be 15 minutes of unaccounted time. The article is not that vague. The article, without doubt, is in reference to a serious accident or in reference to a malicious event resulting in a serious accident or harming employees, or the public, not stealing time.

This is the way Richmond should see it.

1.No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices unless
A.the employee engages in conduct creating imminent danger to other employees or the general public.
B.or other conduct such as dishonesty or recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

Now I ask you, How can a diad tell someone I am creating imminent danger to other employees or the general public?
How can a diad tell someone that my conduct, or my dishonesty, or my recklessness was the result of a serious accident?

The only thing a diad can tell someone is whether I am supposed to be there or not. and at what time. Which brings us back to the original statement, No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices.

No, The section of the article simply states that they can not use computer tracking devices to discipline you unless you do any of the following in section 3. It's not referring just to accidents or malicious behavior.

What it is saying is that they can use the GPS to track you down so they can watch you in what you are doing, Which the DIAD will be in part of the tracking devices.

Like the thread we are in now: Watch out! UPS is watching you! If they have a reason, Now they do have legal right to do so because of the wording of the Article and Section.

No, The section of the article simply states that they can not use computer tracking devices to discipline you unless you do any of the following in section 3. It's not referring just to accidents or malicious behavior.

What it is saying is that they can use the GPS to track you down so they can watch you in what you are doing, Which the DIAD will be in part of the tracking devices.

Like the thread we are in now: Watch out! UPS is watching you! If they have a reason, Now they do have legal right to do so because of the wording of the Article and Section.

After what Richmond thinks about our Christmas\New Years holiday's the last thing I am going to do is allow them to interpret what I see in this contract. As I have stated ,this is the way it is read, and this will be the grievance if push comes to shove. Richmond will never see anything in our favor, they will always do what is good for them and interpret as such.

Richmond can think anything they want, just as I can, and the grievance panel will settle the dispute. That is why we have it.:1036316054:

I'd hate to say it but:

Article 23

Dishonesty

"Dishonesty resulting in a serious accident." ie. Like if you claimed you were not in the area that the accident occurred, and your diad shows that you were. Teamster Elvis out.....