FedEx Freight | Watkins Name Change?

HUGNLUG- With ups buying overnite they now have running rights into canada,because overnite was allready running into ontario that i know for sure the rest of canada im not sure on.

Now thats what Im talking about, Fedex gains have been phenomenal, and a merger with Watkins would propel FX into the larger more progressive markets, and put them into the top....look out Yellow, FX in coming up on you....

CORNBINDER said:
HUGNLUG- With ups buying overnite they now have running rights into canada,because overnite was allready running into ontario that i know for sure the rest of canada im not sure on.
O has been running into Ontario and Quebec for a few years now. the rest of Canada I'm not too sure of either. The problem is they are interlining all of their freight a cartage company. Like any company, you get better visibility having your own equipment, terminals and employees working in the area.

bear6997 said:
My guess is that the big reason they were bought is to get the rights to open in Canada . Not real familiar how the teams work but that would be beneficial for moving the freight from one coast to the other and getting rid of Purchased Transportation
bear 6997 you are dead on sir..

Back to the name change......

Seeing that Watkins is a Southern based carrier.
I say when in rome do as the romans do.

New name....Wed Ex-kin.

Smokestack said:
This ia a good read !!!
I would sugest all to read this and thank you truckindaddy for the find.

I pointed this out in another thread, but that story is entirely unsourced. That doesn't mean it isn't true, and that's not uncommon in business news articles, but there is absolutely no official confirmation in that story anywhere.

Anyone know how seniority is handled when freight companies are bought and or merged?
Can't have terminals across the street from each other.

re

Contractors work great for different markets - here at FedEx Custom Critical - we would have it no other way - i dont see Freight benefiting from it. also - on friday we were told to address all media inquiries up to marketing. we were told that that email comes out when something either happened to one of our trucks or drivers or Corp or another OPCO is doing something that has the medias attention. Oh, by the way - FedEx Freight is number one in the regional LTL carrier industry with 3.4 billion in revenue, second is Conway Freight with 2.8 billion. YRC is not a regional carrier so they are not in the same industry listing as FXF.

Rob

princess said:
The rumors about Watkins being bought by Fedex have been goin round forever.
When my husband worked for Watkins it was the never ending rumor..This rumor just gets bigger and bigger..
I personally dont think The Watkins family is interested in selling ....Then again what do the hell do I know anyway..I am just a truckers wife :)
Fedex has a good reason to by Watkins, the rights to get into Canada.

The buy would also give FedEx Freight seamless services into Mexico and Canada -- which it now serves through contractors -- and a truckload division.
Last year, Watkins' revenue exceeded $1 billion, up more than 7 percent from 2004.
"Most of FedEx Freight's business is one-, two- or three-day. But in the last few years, customers have been wanting them to do longer-haul stuff," said Art Hatfield, Morgan Keegan analyst.
"Watkins is more set up for long-haul distances."

The above is an excerpt from and article in Commercialappeal.com written by Jane Roberts May 20.2006

Here is the link
You have to register it is free

More than a Rumor

It has become more than a rumor; it is being reported in an online paper in Tennessee. The move seems to be a good fit with Fedex , since it would give them rights into Canada and Mexico and with Watkin’s long haul capabilities a way to get rid of Purchase Transportation .

Here is the link to the article, you must register but it is free to register

FedEx makes trucking move

militaryman4 said:
Contractors work great for different markets - here at FedEx Custom Critical - we would have it no other way - i dont see Freight benefiting from it. also - on friday we were told to address all media inquiries up to marketing. we were told that that email comes out when something either happened to one of our trucks or drivers or Corp or another OPCO is doing something that has the medias attention. Oh, by the way - FedEx Freight is number one in the regional LTL carrier industry with 3.4 billion in revenue, second is Conway Freight with 2.8 billion. YRC is not a regional carrier so they are not in the same industry listing as FXF.

Rob

Con-Way did 4.169.6 billion and FedEx did 3.217 billion. Con-Way is in the second spot behind Yellow and FedEx is in third so the experts say. If Yellow is not a regional carrier, then Con-Way would be number one.

Link: http://www.hoovers.com/fedex-freight/--ID__107157--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

http://www.hoovers.com/con-way-inc./--ID__10393--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

StrokerAce said:
Con-Way did 4.169.6 billion and FedEx did 3.217 billion. Con-Way is in the second spot behind Yellow and FedEx is in third so the experts say. If Yellow is not a regional carrier, then Con-Way would be number one.

Link: http://www.hoovers.com/fedex-freight/--ID__107157--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

I was just thinking this is counting our other Con-way businesses that include truckload transportation, expedited delivery, freight brokerage, and the company’s Menlo Worldwide unit which provides contract logistics.

You may be right when counting only freight service.

StrokerAce said:

militaryman4, You may be right about freight only services.

I was counting other Con-way businesses that includes the truckload transportation, expedited delivery, and freight brokerage, and the company’s Menlo Worldwide unit which provides contract logistics.

StrokerAce said:
militaryman4, You may be right about freight only services.

I was counting other Con-way businesses that includes the truckload transportation, expedited delivery, and freight brokerage, and the company’s Menlo Worldwide unit which provides contract logistics.
Thank you for reminding me, if you factor out the revenue by FedEx Custom Critical, FedEx Freight's LTL segment only was 3.2 billion. Either way, we are all up on the top an dup there by a landslide compared to the companies in the 10 through 20 spots.

Rob

bear6997 said:
It has become more than a rumor; it is being reported in an online paper in Tennessee. The move seems to be a good fit with Fedex , since it would give them rights into Canada and Mexico and with Watkin’s long haul capabilities a way to get rid of Purchase Transportation .

Here is the link to the article, you must register but it is free to register

FedEx makes trucking move

That is more than an online newspaper, that is the main paper in that area.....