We are officially sold. Now Conway freight, a division of XPO logistics.

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by upnorth, Oct 30, 2015.

1. 9Lives

9Lives New Member

We are a small terminal and we are dead with freight

2. ole man

ole man Active Member

I guess this would be the correct thread for information. I'm wondering how many other barns haven't covered the Con-way signs with XPO banners other than my barn.

3. vetran peddleman

vetran peddleman FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Just heard that 'Road systems' is being sold. Anybody else hear that or is this just something that the rumor mill is cranking out?

4. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Just my opinion: Why sell the trailer manufacturing division when you've just INCREASED the size of your customer base within the company and with the possibility of 28ft trailers that need conversion to 33ft'ers or the need for brand new 33ft'ers?

This has been an advantage that Con-way and now XPO Logistics has had for a long time. Why end it? ( This is a rhetorical question , I know why - MONEY. )

http://xpo.com/content/xpo-trailer-manufacturing-1

5. vetran peddleman

Yeah, I know what you're saying and agree 100% w/ u icuip. I wanted to tell my fellow driver at my barn who alleged that 'Road Systems' was gonna be sold, "you don't know what you're talking about dude," but I couldn't at that critical moment recall where I read that our trailer mfg. company was valued very highly by Mr. Jacobs so I didn't counter the guy's assertion about RS being sold at the time. But thanks to you and your link, I now remember where I read up on RS and felt good about that division being part our XPO's portfolio. Now I'm armed to the teeth to refute this guy when I see him on the dock next week. Thanks again icuip.

6. Skeeter

Skeeter Well-Known Member

I thought it was YRC by a bunch.

7. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Widely accepted that FedEx is the number 1 LTL. Depends on who collected the numbers, as far as by how much. Even if you add the fractured parts of the YRC conglomerate together. The yellow-roadway part is kept separate from the holland-rest of that stuff part on most tables. I have never gotten any good reasoning for that. But they do it on almost every chart and graph I have ever seen. They fell a long way since '07. At the moment. It's FedEx 1. XPO 2. YRC 3.

The investment world has jumped on board the FedEx train. Being the only one of those companies with stable management, low debt and a full range of offerings ( package car thru to international ) they expect FedEx stock to be over $200 a share in the next six months. And if we are heading into another '08 scenario. There will be a lot more consolidation in the industry as the little guys get squeezed even harder by the big boys. Which we have already seen the end of PJax, Vitran, Con-way and a many others the last few years. Even some of the big boys ain't so big any more.

Plus FedEx just bought TNT in Europe. Which will be a huge boon. That will keep them growing ahead of whatever becomes of XPO. And a resurgent, trying for a resurrection, YRC. Not to mention UPS. Which is making virtually zero effort to grow it's LTL. And is nearly doubling every year.

Everything posted here is a jumbled mess of things I heard or read and things I think. If you disagree. Cool. Tell me why.

vetran peddleman likes this.
  8. vetran peddleman

And OD is # 4, and UPS is # 5 and ABF is # 6 if I remember what I read recently. Am I close on this???

9. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

In reply to the last 2 messages:

http://www.joc.com/sites/default/files/u48801/44-specTop25Truck_bwcb copy_0.jpg

This chart shows the top 25 LTLs ranked in order of total revenue, as well as the change between 2013 and 2014. Estes is #6, ABF is #7. YRC Freight plus YRC regional carriers' combined revenue is still below that of FedEx Freight. OD's growth is astronomical and caused them to pass UPS Freight last year. Interesting chart.

highspeeds likes this.
  10. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Our world is a changing. Talk to any old trucker and they will tell you. After deregulation this has been the norm. The big boys get to big. And new guys come in and get big until they are to big. Over and over.

11. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

No signs changed outside my place, only in the office, couple banners and new posters on the walls. I did notice my paycheck now says XPO.

ESP likes this.
  12. ESP

ESP Well-Known Member

Good catch on that one.:1036316054:

dalesr likes this.
  13. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

Of all the things to say XPO, the digital readout on our fuel pump now says "XPO logistics"! Funny stuff. No signage or anything else.

Songremainsthesame and ESP like this.
  14. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Printers in the office are like that also.

dalesr and ESP like this.
  15. vetran peddleman

Our sign hasn't been covered nor changed out yet.

16. vetran peddleman

I'll go w/ "smart business man,"... and quite savvy too. To be able to build a nearly global brand in only 4 years tells me that this guy has a keen business sense, does his homework, drafts a play book and knows how to make good decisions to get to where he's going. At least that's the way it seems to me so far as I've read up on this guy's accomplishments thus far. But as always... time will ultimately tell if he is truly arrogant or truly smart.

17. Skeeter

Skeeter Well-Known Member

Then all the haters will be envious and the depressed. lol!

18. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

In this clip he sounds smart.

19. vetran peddleman

Hey 'Ole Man', haven't seen much posting from u lately...you still w/ us?

ole man likes this.
  20. ole man

ole man Active Member

I'm still here. Checking out the site daily. Merry Christmas to all!!

highspeeds likes this.